Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dropped my macbook! What to do now?

Dropped my macbook! What to do now?
sprajan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2011, 02:11 PM

Well, it happened - My macbook(2007, OSX Tiger) slipped out of my hand and crashed to the floor. I tried rebooting it and it hangs trying to boot up with the apple screen. There is a distinct tuk-tuk sound and I think there's certainly a HD problem. I then tried booting into the Windows partition and it works! Next I tried using it in the Target Disk Mode and I was able to get most of the files to my imac, but some files wont copy. In Target disk mode, I also tried disk utility to verify the disk and it said it was OK. So then I tried to reinstall OSX (I had anyways planned to wipe the macbook and install Snow Leopard on it). I tried installing on my OSX partition, but after a few minutes, it said not enough space to install and after that it wouldnt show either my OSX or XP partition on the installer or Disk utility???
I quit installer and tried rebooting into windows and that still works.

Is there anyway I can fix the macbook, or do I just have to buy a new Hard disk?
Thanks in Advance for your help.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2011, 02:48 PM

get all of your data off. Then try a new hd.

Rub the dent a few times with your thumb ...

Continue life.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 28, 2011, 04:28 PM

Even if you could get it to reinstall, I would consider the disk highly suspect and would not use it any more.

I consider hard disks fundamentally unreliable and disposable: as soon as one shows any hint of misbehavior, it's a goner in my book and gets replaced ASAP. (I just did this with a disk in my Mac Pro.)

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2011, 12:47 AM

ya ^

Data loss is a 'when' not an 'if'.

.................. back that &&&& up.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

Forum Links
Forum Rules