Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will a new Mac Book Air run Sim City 2013?

Will a new Mac Book Air run Sim City 2013?
HamSandwich
Feb 19, 2013, 04:33 PM

Hey,

we think about buying a new MacBook Air for my sister, 11", 128 GB etc. Will it run Sim City 2013 fine? The web seems to be divided, I googled a while. The general consensus appears to be that the new SimCity won't be extremely demanding, as in, it's no shooter or something... But then, if it looks ugly and is sometimes sluggish, or you can only play it in half - that's crappy. It's a bit strange for us... I think the Air 11" is the perfect notebook for her, for nearly anything she does. But then - doesn't everyone want to play the new SimCity? (ha!) And now we are already anxious a bit...

Greetings,
PeteParker

Dex13
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2013, 06:52 PM

Graphics card:

ATI X1800 or better*
nVidia 7800 or better*
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*
(*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support)
granted, these are the minimum for the pc.

and the macbook air has a intel 4000 integrated graphics card

source

jaypom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2013, 09:40 AM

I have a macbook Air 13" purchased late last year.
Running Parallels - Windows XP.
I can not get SimCity to run- get a memory error - I've allocated more ram and video memory to the virtual machine, but either crash the machine or fail on trying to get SimCity to Run.

Anyone else had luck?

Was thinking about going the bootcamp route, but have to deal with not having a disc drive...

Thorzdad
Mar 5, 2013, 09:56 AM

FWIW, here's an initial impression of the gameplay in the new SimCity.

Honestly, given the low-level detail in the game, and the MMO-ish aspect of the environment, I'd bet that the 11" MBA might struggle with this one. Remember, too, that this new SC requires a constant internet connection to play. It's not a stand-alone game. You must be connected to EA's servers.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jaypom View Post
I have a macbook Air 13" purchased late last year.
Running Parallels - Windows XP.
I can not get SimCity to run- get a memory error - I've allocated more ram and video memory to the virtual machine, but either crash the machine or fail on trying to get SimCity to Run.

Anyone else had luck?

Was thinking about going the bootcamp route, but have to deal with not having a disc drive...
You're going to get crap video performance from parallels or any other virtual machine application. You need the OS installed natively in order to get the full benefit of your hardware.

Don't use Windows XP. Use Windows 7. XP is (a) ancient and (b) 32-bit and therefore can't actually use all the RAM in your MBA. The hardware in your Air is newer than XP, and Windows 7 can make much better use of both all the RAM and the multi-core CPU.

As far as not having an optical drive in the Air, that's a nonissue. Microsoft provides a free tool for creating a bootable USB thumb drive from an ISO of a Windows installation CD or DVD. Info is here: Microsoft Store Online
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules