Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone Is here!

iPhone Is here! (Page 2)
cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2007, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Which by the way I'm very weary off. Those battery times are always under EXTREME conditions.... I think it won't last that long.
like screen dimmed all the way down only use when the moon is purple kinda battery times right.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 08:14 PM

Re all the discussion about Cingular. It does have a SIM card slot -- does anyone know if it is really locked to Cingular ?

Not an issue in Australia of course as we won't see it until 2008!

I was wondering why they didn't call it the Einstein -- the advanced replacement for the Newton :-)

Michael

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
Looks impressive but why the wait. I mean he unveiled it in January and now we will have to wait until June?

I also want to see it in action. the simplicity of dialing a number on a phone now,i.e., pushing buttons, tactile feedback is going to be hard to beat.
FCC approval takes two months. They still havent approved the iPhone.
i hate project managers.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by wake266 View Post
its a good idea, but i don't think it will work. Everyone already has an ipod, thats was the zune is sucking so bad, and most anyone who wants/has a cell phone already does too. I have an 30gb ipod and a Razr, this doesn't look amazing enough to make me get rid of those gadgets, i mean come on how many of you already have an ipod and a cell phone? good idea, a little to late.
I have a 60GB video iPod and a RAZR. I'm not getting rid of the iPod, but I will be replacing the RAZR with the iPhone. I don't carry the iPod with me everywhere, but I do carry my phone, and this way I can have them both. And the RAZR's software pretty much sucks. The only thing I really like about the phone is its form factor.

But I think you're not understanding the true significance of this product. It's not just an iPod and a phone together -- after all, that's already been done. It's a smart phone, and that opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
so as far as capacity goes, flash technology is what limits it now right? or could they just put more 4gig chips in?
It's not so much the technology as the cost. They could put at least 32GB in there, since there are products like the Sony handtop computer that use 32GB of flash. But it would be prohibitively expensive. I imagine that 4-8GB is the most they thought would be affordable, which is also why we see those capacities on the nano.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 9, 2007, 09:00 PM

I refuse to pay $100 or more for a phone, no matter who carries what. About two years ago, I could find near half a dozen quality models on Amazon.com for under $100, but now you have to shell out a blowheart's very own dinner for 4 at Mt. Fuji to get a phone, just because IT HAS to have all this extra garbage that you won't use in addition to the iTunes/syncing that you will use. A phone with lots of extra junk belongs around the $200 sweet spot. Trust me, as soon as you've paid $500 for a phone, it won't be so sweet when you realize that you still have those super expensive phone plans (and ALL PLANS are overpriced) to pay for on a routine basis. As usual, great new design from Apple, but for about double the price that it ought to be.

BTW: No iWork 07?! Student discount on the old software my foot!

Dazed
Jan 9, 2007, 09:11 PM

Looking forward to its release in canada (which im assuming can only be on the Rogers/Fido network since as far as i'm aware they are the only main GSM providers. )

Think i'll wait for a 3g compliant one though as it seemed to run slow on the stage even via wifi so surfing under EDGE would just be painful.

I WAS the One
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 09:33 PM

Do you think that the next iPod Video will be like the iPhone without the "phone features"? if it comes like that it will be awsome! Right now, in Florida Cingular works like S**T! so, I don't think I will be buying it, but if I can get it for just the web and everything else I do will get it. I just hate the carrier! hope another version for t-mobile here!
Enjoy My Mac Comic @ BLAST COMICS

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
I refuse to pay $100 or more for a phone, no matter who carries what. About two years ago, I could find near half a dozen quality models on Amazon.com for under $100, but now you have to shell out a blowheart's very own dinner for 4 at Mt. Fuji to get a phone, just because IT HAS to have all this extra garbage that you won't use in addition to the iTunes/syncing that you will use. A phone with lots of extra junk belongs around the $200 sweet spot. Trust me, as soon as you've paid $500 for a phone, it won't be so sweet when you realize that you still have those super expensive phone plans (and ALL PLANS are overpriced) to pay for on a routine basis. As usual, great new design from Apple, but for about double the price that it ought to be.

BTW: No iWork 07?! Student discount on the old software my foot!
Get over it. Better yet, dont buy one, more for people who will appreciate it.
i hate project managers.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:07 PM

My only complaints

- doesn't support HSDPA (3G)
- no expandable memory slot

Basically, the device is resting solely on how well the multi-touch LCD screen works, since every feature revolves around this. Knowing Apple, I'm sure they wouldn't release something that had horrible touch lag. But you never know ....

With that said, I'm SOOO ready to toss out the Treo and RAZR. Two phones that I tolerate, but aren't that fanatical about. The treo is ugly, crap interface, and ugly!! RAZR looks nice, but the interface is a touch slow and the feature set bites (multiple fields for contacts!).

Hopefully the interface is fast with the iPhone; I'm curious what processor they are using to run this.

Also, hopefully they will create APIs so 3rd party developers can create awesome applications for this device!

Price is about right for a smartphone. Also remember that the RAZR when it was released was in this range, and it wasn't even at this level of design! [since that was basically all the RAZR had going for it].

Of course, the phone isn't for everyone. It's not for you if you aren't the type to need your contact/calendars/mail on you at all times. IMO, this device is a hybrid for business users and consumers who want their info on the go. Not your casual, "I want an iPod" customer.

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 10:09 PM

By the way, if you watch the Keynote, Jobs mentions that they plan on supporting 3G in the future. So its coming folks.
i hate project managers.

Geezus_Aach
Jan 9, 2007, 10:14 PM

i think it will be BEST device of the year..and next year. beating out the wii (which i own and love) it's way better than the 7520 blackberry i use now...does it sync, just like a blackberry and outlook? this could merge my "email, pda, camera, smartphone" and my ipod into one. btw, i also have a 60gig video, only currently using 35+ ...so for me, since i use my ipod on a regular basis... the only "worries" i see is the internal storage capacity. ONLY 4 or 8gb? c'mon apple...? how about adding a SDcard slot, then we're done! as time goes on normally, the sizes will increase, just as time progresses...so....32gb could be possible by the end of '07.

for a second there, i was ready to sign over a check, but i think i might wait a while to see if they will offer a better model with at least a 18gb flash based (solid state) drive. i would like to see my whole library and all my internet favorites, stored with me wherever i go.

overall, ... 4.8 out of 5 stars from me, it would have been 5 out of 5 if the capacity was the same or higher than current video ipods. i most likely will buy a 8gb in june tho, thank you apple!
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 10:15 PM

I dont mind Cingular, but why did they have to team up with anybody? Couldnt they have just made it unlocked and go from their with both a GSM and CDMA version? Or was it just about the money Cingular gave them?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post
I dont mind Cingular, but why did they have to team up with anybody? Couldnt they have just made it unlocked and go from their with both a GSM and CDMA version? Or was it just about the money Cingular gave them?
It sounds like the iPhone has some special needs in terms of its network that Cingular was willing to accommodate. And it may be that they are subsidizing the cost of the phone to consumers as well.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 9, 2007, 10:39 PM

drainyoo>Get over it. Better yet, dont buy one, more for people who will appreciate it.

I already have one: it's a P.O.S. Motorola T720. If (big if) I get another cell phone, then it'll be a rfb./used model for around $60.

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 10:42 PM

^ true. They have to (eventually)!

Too bad it didn't make it on this first release.

But personally, I don't have an immediate need for that since I wouldn't want to pay the data rate fees for HSDPA.

jamito
Jan 9, 2007, 10:48 PM

On my wishlist for the iPhone, to support the nike+ sensor. This may seem weird at first, but with a good armband, i can run with my iphone, use the ipod to listen to music, while tracking my run. And in case of an emergency, i have a phone with me. Just my 2 cents.

edit:...also was thinking, an option to turn off the cell phone while still be able to use the ipod features, for flights.
ibook 14", 600 mhz, 384mb ram
mbp 15", 2.2ghz SR C2D, 2 gb ram, 128vram, 20" ACD
powermac dc 2.3ghz, 2.5 gb ram, 20" ACD
3g 30gb ipod, 5g 60gb video ipod, 2g 4gb blue ipod nano, isight

Geezus_Aach
Jan 9, 2007, 10:49 PM

icruise = correct!
Tangerine iMac 400DV, 1GB ram, 60GB hdd, OS X 10.3.9
Black iPod Video - 60GB

wish list:

Mac mini 1.25GHz, 1GB ddr ram, 40GB hdd, OS X 10.4
or
iMac 20"

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 9, 2007, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
drainyoo>Get over it. Better yet, dont buy one, more for people who will appreciate it.

I already have one: it's a P.O.S. Motorola T720. If (big if) I get another cell phone, then it'll be a rfb./used model for around $60.
Well have fun with your POS Motorola. The iPhone is more than just any old phone.
i hate project managers.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by jamito View Post
edit:...also was thinking, an option to turn off the cell phone while still be able to use the ipod features, for flights.
I'm sure they will have such a feature. It's pretty much mandatory on a device like this.

Rab Mush
Jan 9, 2007, 11:22 PM

Wow, this looks amazing. I think I am going to be returning my Cowon A2 because of this. Although... If I do end up having the money for an iphone this June, I wonder if I will end up getting one... My only gripes are

Internet browsing speed/speed of the device in general
No SD card slot They should really add this before the launch
Battery life

Lets just hope my fears are null and void by June
started out hustlin'
ended up ballin'

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 9, 2007, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rab Mush View Post
No SD card slot They should really add this before the launch
What would you use an SD card slot for?

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:24 AM

The thing I'm worried about is how much 'total' this will 'really' cost. I am already on Cingular, and in no contract (not really interested to be lockin in either!), and already have a cheam $20 unlimited internet plan (grandfathered plan). If I buy the iPhone, are they going to make me sign a contract and 'upgrade' / change my plan? New unlimited data plans are more than $20 now I believe! And everytime a new iPhone revision comes out and we as consumers want to upgrade, do we have to tack on another 2 years of contract?!

Just a thought...
Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

michaelb
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 12:43 AM

So how many details did Digg founder / This Week in Tech whiz kid Kevin Rose get correct?
  • January launch on "all" providers, both CDMA and GSM
  • Extremely small form factor
  • Two battery design (with single charger) -- one for playing music, the other for phone functions
  • Flash memory: 4GB for $249, 8GB for $449
  • "Slide-out keyboard"
  • Possibly touchscreen

Apart from the uncommitted "possibly" (for so central a design feature?) that'd be none!

No one else even came close either. Apple kept the details under wraps incredibly well.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
The thing I'm worried about is how much 'total' this will 'really' cost. I am already on Cingular, and in no contract (not really interested to be lockin in either!), and already have a cheam $20 unlimited internet plan (grandfathered plan). If I buy the iPhone, are they going to make me sign a contract and 'upgrade' / change my plan? New unlimited data plans are more than $20 now I believe! And everytime a new iPhone revision comes out and we as consumers want to upgrade, do we have to tack on another 2 years of contract?!

Just a thought...
Mike

You would need to tack on a new contract, I believe.

Cingular now offers $20 unlimited internet with, IIRC, 500 text messages.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 01:19 AM

Looks impressive but why the wait. I mean he unveiled it in January and now we will have to wait until June?

I also want to see it in action. the simplicity of dialing a number on a phone now,i.e., pushing buttons, tactile feedback is going to be hard to beat.
In the announcement, Jobs stated that it had to go through the FCC approval process. It was announced now so that it could be announced at MacWorld instead of via the FCC.

Which brings the question, how did he make the first public call on it if it's not FCC approved? Maybe a special prototype/testing/demo waiver?

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2007, 02:40 AM

Locked?! Useless.

I would never buy a locked phone. I have 4 active SIM cards (US, UAE, Czech and Thai) and need to switch between them as I spend extended periods in these countires and would never roam... I want to use my local numbers. Real shame they tied it to a single carrier. What is the point?

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 02:59 AM

Im hoping that if you buy it from the Apple store, you might not have to get a contract, just have Cingular. You would have to have Cingular employees or reps in the store all the time otherwise. That would a good choice if they did it that way

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 03:03 AM

Can you film with the iphone like any other phone with a camera does?

ebrunn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by yoyoman View Post
Can you film with the iphone like any other phone with a camera does?
That would be cool if it did. Their was so much stuff to talk about, I guess he only could talk about the really important features. I hope that Apple adds some stuff to clean up the rough edges.

rcpmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 04:25 AM

Fantastic machine, great features, price is $100 too high for the very competitive market and memory should be 16GB min, - dual 8GB chips in raid.
This will be the configuration before '08 - after the fanatics get their fill and the market turns toward regular folk.
I'll wait

rcpmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 04:35 AM

January 9, 2007, 9:40 pm
Some Hands-On Time With the iPhone
By David Pogue
Tags: Apple, cellphones, Macworld, Steve Jobs, wireless

Today, I had meetings with with Steve Jobs and then Phil Schiller, Apple’s director of worldwide marketing. I basically played with the iPhone the entire hour.

Here are some of the things you can’t tell without actually handling and using the iPhone:

* It feels amazing in your hand. Not like an iPod, not like a Treo — but something new. It’s so thin, and the rounded stainless-steel edges are so smooth, you can excuse its larger-than-Treo façade. When you’re on a call, it’s so cool how the screen turns off to save power, thanks to its proximity sensor.

* You operate the iPhone with your fingertips. Apart from buttons that appear on the touch screen, the only physical buttons are volume up/down, ringer on/off, sleep/wake and a Home button.

Apple went through numerous iterations of the glass surface, trying to find one that’s not too slick or too rough, or that shows grease and fingerprints too much. You still get finger streaks, but they’re relatively subtle and a quick wipe on your sleeve takes care of them.

* During my one test call, the sound quality was loud and clear. Of course, your mileage (and your Cingular signal) will vary.

* Typing is difficult. The letter keys are just pictures on the glass screen, so of course there’s no tactile feedback.

Software helps a lot. You can afford to make a lot of typos as you muddle through a word, because the software analyzes which keys you *might* have meant and figures out the word you wanted. Its best guess appears just under what you’ve typed; if it’s correct, you tap the Space bar to accept it and continue. I typed a couple of e-mail messages with lots of typos but eventually 100 percent accuracy, thanks to this auto-correct feature. (My testing didn’t involve proper names, however.)

Bottom line: Heavy BlackBerry addicts may not want to jump ship just yet.

* The phone won’t be available until June, so some of its software isn’t finished yet. As I tapped my way into obscure corners of the phone, Mr. Jobs pointed out a couple of spots where only a placeholder graphic was available.

* Both in the onstage demo and during my hands-on hour, the Web speed was OK—not great, but OK. But all of this used the phone’s built-in Wi-Fi, not Cingular’s notoriously slow Edge network. I couldn’t help wondering how bad the speed will be when you’re connecting over the cellular airwaves. (Here again, though, I was playing with a prototype whose software will undergo a lot of fine-tuning between now and June.)

* I tried out the camera. It was really cool to frame a shot using the HUGE 3.5-inch screen; it’s rare to find that big a screen on any camera. The refresh rate felt typical of a camera-phone to me, but Mr. Jobs said that it would be much smoother by the time the phone is done.

* The Web browsing experience is incredible. You see the entire Web page on the iPhone’s screen. You double-tap any spot to zoom in. Or you use the two-fingered spread-apart gesture to “stretch” the image larger, or pinch your thumb and forefinger on the glass to zoom out again. The manipulation is seamless, smoothly animated—and useful. Using Google Maps to get you driving directions and maps, for example, is just light-years simpler and more powerful than on any other machine, thanks to this “rubber Web page” stretching technology.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 05:07 AM

Nice account from David Pogue.

It would be good to know what happens when you click on some of the other buttons. I am wondering if the iCal button gets you a `real' version of iCal or some kind of widgety thing.

Michael

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2007, 05:09 AM

I don't think any of the apps on the phone are "real" since they all have to be formated for the phone's display and input method. The question is, how does it compare to the desktop version in terms of functionality?

Tack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 05:15 AM

Well, for one thing we're waiting for FCC approval.

Knowing software, there are probably a couple bugs left, too.

Tack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 05:22 AM

Wow, I totally missed the "next page" thing.

Anyway, I'm totally jazzed. I've never actually wanted to own a smartphone. This one, I *want* to own. How exciting. I'd like to try it out by hand when it gets here.

k2director
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 05:23 AM

Time magazine says that it can't sync data wirelessly from/to the Mac, you have to actually plug the phone into its dock.
If so, that would be really stupid. I don't need to sync music or videos wirelessly, but if I type a new contact or calendar appointment into my laptop on the road, it should be able to sync over Bluetooth to the phone, without me having to make a physical connection.

Hope Time is wrong...

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post
Finally it's announced, but I still have so many questions....

- iChat (that is, AIM, Jabber, etc.)?
- Bluetooth tethering?
- Third-party app support? (Salling Clicker and some kind of SSH client are my main requests)
- Do the "Notes" sync with notes in Leopard Mail.app?
- Will there ever be an unlocked version?
- Will Cingular offer a discount on unlimited data plans to iPhone users? (crosses fingers...)
It sounds like you will be able to write your own apps, so I'm sure someone will make some stuff to fullfill your needs.

Cingular contributed a lot to this phone- I don't think an unlocked version is wise as there is bound to be a huge loss in functionality.

This thing can access regular wireless networks, so as long as you are by a coffee shop, library, work/home wireless network, you won't need a data plan. Where I'm at (in the Bay Area), the local downtown area is blanketed in a free wireless network.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Interesting enough the reason why they started so small with the memory is because they have a huge world to improve on as the years go by. Remeber when the first generation ipods came out the capacity was 2/4/8GBs. No look that them. It's another reason why they have such supply and demand. Its simple basics. If it initially has 3G then the next version wouldn't be any more different.

They will market the iphone just as they did the ipod. Over and over they will reinvent soemthing again and again and just make the capacity even larger and provide more batter life.

Which by the way I'm very weary off. Those battery times are always under EXTREME conditions.... I think it won't last that long.
Actually the first iPod had a 5GB hard drive.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Trygve View Post
Locked?! Useless.

I would never buy a locked phone. I have 4 active SIM cards (US, UAE, Czech and Thai) and need to switch between them as I spend extended periods in these countires and would never roam... I want to use my local numbers. Real shame they tied it to a single carrier. What is the point?
It's tied to Cingular because :-

1. Apple neded to get a network company to change thier backend systems to work with the new features they wanted to put on the phone, the first of these being - Visual Voicemail. This feature will ONLY work on the Cingular network as it is built by Apple and Cingular. Other features in the future will need the same cooperation (as stated in the Keynote). Maybe we will see iChat and that will need the network provider to make changes. If the phone was abkle to work on every network all these new features and differentiators would not be available.

2. I guess that Cingular are also subsidising the handsets and that they actually cost Apple more to make than they are selling them for. There is a lot of mew technology and custom chips in the device.

I agree it is not an ideal situation, but it is probabaly the best Apple could get in an already well established market. As they state, this is a multi year exclusive deal with Cingular (probably 2 years) and after that you will see that other network operators will want to join in and get the latest features (which no doubt Apple will have patented, like Visual Voice mail?)

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

ipsych
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 08:42 AM

Hey,

anyone an idea what other apps are possible on iPhone? I mean, it's got everything a really good PDA would need, if you can program apps or transfer widgets to it, even run a server on it to sync your personal Wiki (like DokuWiki which uses only php and .txt files, display a larger keyboard for text input) ... they could easily call it a 21st century Newton ... would be very interesting to see what modifications/development tools will be available for it ... just think of the applications for personal information management and for other settings, i.e. as electronic guidebook ... really blew me away ... :-)

Best Regards,

Daniel

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ipsych View Post
Hey,

anyone an idea what other apps are possible on iPhone? I mean, it's got everything a really good PDA would need, if you can program apps or transfer widgets to it, even run a server on it to sync your personal Wiki (like DokuWiki which uses only php and .txt files, display a larger keyboard for text input) ... they could easily call it a 21st century Newton ... would be very interesting to see what modifications/development tools will be available for it ... just think of the applications for personal information management and for other settings, i.e. as electronic guidebook ... really blew me away ... :-)

Best Regards,

Daniel
I would guess that any app is possible, as it runs OS X-a developer kit must be in the mix somewhere. The keynote speech pointed out that "desktop class" apps were the goal, which leads me to believe that porting your favorite apps over to the phone would be easy to do. Imagine replacing Safari with Firefox, running Adium, and having an office suite (MS Office/NeoOffice/??) on this thing...a ultraportable Bluetooth keyboard and travel mouse...mash them all together, and you have yourself an ultraportable notebook ("Notebook" in the sense of a little 3 x 5 notebook you can drop in a shirt pocket).

OR...eliminate the KB/mouse and use a stylus with handwriting recognition, a la a Mac version of a TABLET...or a VERY distant cousin to the Newton maybe?

Mmm...I'm starting to salivate already...

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2007, 09:20 AM

At this point we don't know that it's possible to use ANY apps on the iPhone aside from what Apple gives us. I'd love to have developers making apps for it, but if Apple's approach with the iPod is any indication, they may keep it closed.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 09:22 AM

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how successful this will be. The crucial piece of the puzzle is the cost. People seem to go through phones every 2 years. Spending 600 dollars on a phone with that mentality is ridiculous. Now what's not mentioned is the question whether cingular will discount the phones when you sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract. Every phone has this discount will apple follow?

While its great and has everything I'd ever want in a phone (or iPod) I'm not about to spend 600 dollars on it.
Michael

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by k2director View Post
Time magazine says that it can't sync data wirelessly from/to the Mac, you have to actually plug the phone into its dock.
If so, that would be really stupid. I don't need to sync music or videos wirelessly, but if I type a new contact or calendar appointment into my laptop on the road, it should be able to sync over Bluetooth to the phone, without me having to make a physical connection.

Hope Time is wrong...
Yep. I agree with your statement 100%. I understand not syncing media over the air, but contacts, and especially to-dos and calendar events need to be pushed back and forth in real time just like a blackberry. It is crucial for this information to remain in constant sync with its desktop equivalents. The absence of this feature is one reason I am tempted daily to smash my Treo with any heavy blunt instrument that happens to be nearby.

kman

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post
The main reason it seem is cause of Visual Voicemail. Jobs noted that Cingular helped them develop this amazing feature and it wouldn't be possible without them.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by rcpmac View Post
Fantastic machine, great features, price is $100 too high for the very competitive market and memory should be 16GB min, - dual 8GB chips in raid.
This will be the configuration before '08 - after the fanatics get their fill and the market turns toward regular folk.
I'll wait
Considering that most smartphones today are around the same price and don't even do half of what iPhone does, I think it's an absolute steal.
i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 10:43 AM

The more I think about it, the more I wonder how successful this will be. The crucial piece of the puzzle is the cost. People seem to go through phones every 2 years. Spending 600 dollars on a phone with that mentality is ridiculous. Now what's not mentioned is the question whether cingular will discount the phones when you sign up for a 1 or 2 year contract. Every phone has this discount will apple follow?

While its great and has everything I'd ever want in a phone (or iPod) I'm not about to spend 600 dollars on it.
Then you obviously aren't understanding what this phone is capable of.

Compare it to other smart phones and their prices.

With a 2 year contract at Cingular:

Blackjack $299.99

Pearl $249.99

Cingular 8525 $449.99

Palm 680 $299.99

Palm 750 $499.99

Cingular 8125 $349.99

Blackberry $249.99

At $499 the iPhone is a steal for what it does. It blows all these phones out of the water. How many smartphones have 4GB of storage? NONE! How many have Visual Voicemail? NONE! How man have a wide mutli touch screen? NONE! How many have an iPOD built in? NONE! How many are running a UNIX OS? NONE!

Every single thing about the iPhone is a breakthrough. The price for the phone is nothing compared to what it can do. I don't understand all the complaining about the price.
( Last edited by drainyoo; Jan 10, 2007 at 01:07 PM. )
i hate project managers.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 12:59 PM

Booo! on the Cingular carrier. I don't want to have to change carriers. But I might have to. Also the storage is kinda small. V2 Hope hope.....
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

ibr80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 01:08 PM

Im in love with the phone and will try to get my hands on it, but I can assure you that anybody who needs the phone without a contract with Cingular is either not going to be able to purchase it, or will be rapped by either Cingular or Ebay. I anticipate this phone being very hard to unlock. Its going to be hard for me cause I have Cingular but my company pays the bill not me so I always buy my phones unlocked and use my own cause they send us the freebie, and I cant ask them to get it for me. I think absolutly everyone is hopping this phone will be availible unlocked, but hopefully it wont be at a premium price tag of $1000. You figure that if with a two year contract it cost $500 and $600, the unit without contract will be at least $800-$1000.
The only way I see people being in a good position to purchase this phone is if you have another network whos contract is already over and you can cancel at any time and just switch over and sign the 2 year contract. Plus remember this will be so hot that not a single Cingular store will want to part of any one of the phones without locking you up, they already do that. Try and walk into a Cingular store and ask to buy a hot phone without a contract at any price, they will not sell it. Get ready for Ebay ( If its actually possible to unlock ).

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 02:16 PM

Fantastic design!

But: no way I go cingular.

I wonder why Apple did not cooperate with Verizon?

This carrier has the best marks for service quality nationwide, and, as a quality carrier, would have been a good fit for a quality company like Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules