Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you use default icon view???

How do you use default icon view???
mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2008, 09:46 PM

When a folder is in icon view and I hit apple-J to Show View Options a little panel comes up and I can set how I want my icons to be positioned and what size to display them and in what order and on what colour background and if I get it looking just right there is a button that says, "Use as Defaults" at the bottom that will supposedly make other folders look like that one. Sometimes the other folder don't use my defaults though and for the life of me I can't figure out any way to make them!!!

I swear to God in the older versions of Mac OSX there was a checkbox that said "Use Defaults" in the view options and now it's gone. And so is the functionality. I usually use column view so I'm no expert but this just seems ridiculous. I feel like an idiot asking such a basic question after being a super-Mac-expert-guru for 12 years but what else can I do! Clue me in.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2008, 10:00 PM

The "use as defaults" button seems to be working for me. Once I've set it, it's greyed out until I change a setting again.

Edit: funny, no sooner than I say that, sure enough, it works on some folders, & not on others. No rhyme or reason, either, such as hierarchy or partition. Typical.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 16, 2008, 08:02 AM

At least I'm not the only one. Kinda surprised that we are the only two though. I guess most people never use icon view or care what it looks like but it is really bugging me that there is a button to "Use AS Defaults" but no way to "Use Defaults" anymore. Maybe it's the awkward language they used for the button was so similar to the old button that they kinda figured they covered it already and nobody ever noticed or said anything. One of the reasons I never use icon view is because it's messed up 1/3 of the time and there's no way to fix it without going thru and individually setting the view for each messed up folder. In fact I just went and checked my old TiBook and there used to be two choices when you were setting a window's icon view options... There were radio buttons at the top for "This window only" and "All windows". That used to work right I think.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2008, 11:58 AM

Yeah, they give us this big, lovely, clean icons & then scatter them all over the page in some unknown arrangement fashion. I had one folder I opened yesterday that had two items in it. In a fully-sized window, the scrollbar was taking up the top 1/5th of the scrollable area, & the two icons were at the very bottom of a 8000-pixel window. Rrrrrr.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2008, 11:19 AM

Amazing to me still that nobody else has figured this out. Maybe there's just a fundamental bug in OSX that nobody cares about.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 30, 2008, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
there is a button that says, "Use as Defaults" at the bottom that will supposedly make other folders look like that one.
Other folders that don't already have some sort of tweaked icon view... yes.

I swear to God in the older versions of Mac OSX there was a checkbox that said "Use Defaults" in the view options and now it's gone.
They hid it (and changed the wording).

In Leopard, we have to hold the option key now... and that makes the same "Use as Defaults" button change to "Restore to Defaults".
-HI-

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2008, 04:30 PM

Amazing to me still that nobody else has figured this out. Maybe there's just a fundamental bug in OSX that nobody cares about.
Google "FTFF".
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2008, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
In Leopard, we have to hold the option key now... and that makes the same "Use as Defaults" button change to "Restore to Defaults".
Thanks for the tip… which seems to have some issues when it comes to speak spanish. "Recuperar ajustes por omisión" was a too big car for such parking spot.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
They hid it (and changed the wording). In Leopard, we have to hold the option key now... and that makes the same "Use as Defaults" button change to "Restore to Defaults".
WOW that's the answer! You're a genius! How did you know that! How could apple be so dumb to think that was a good idea? Wow, I can't believe it. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Google "FTFF".
That helps too; thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules