Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Watch 6 and Entering Passwords

Watch 6 and Entering Passwords
ghporter
Administrator
Jan 6, 2023, 09:10 AM

This morning, my watch wanted me to enter my Apple ID password. Without giving the password away, it includes the letter ‘O’ and the number ‘0’. As far as I know, Watch 6 doesn’t support the onscreen keyboard Watch 7 has.

I have learned how to enter the number ‘1’ so it doesn’t get confused as a lower case ‘l’ or a capital ‘I’, and even getting the thing to understand when I’m entering upper case letters that look the same as their lower case versions, like ‘P’ versus ‘p’. But how the blankety-blank do I enter a ZERO so the watch sees it as a zero?

It turns out that if you scribble a character, then backspace/delete over it and try again, Scribble will offer a different version of what it thinks your character was. Zero was the third attempt.

This is where “good password” runs “splat” into “clumsy password user interface”. . But I got it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Jan 6, 2023, 02:50 PM

That's an annoyance, even on computer displays. I avoid the problem using my random password generator. I exclude the characters: "IlO0S" from being used.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2023, 02:58 PM

From Apple Discussions…

“If you scribble a circle, it might be an o or a capitol O or other letters. Tap on it and a green square will highlight it, then you can scroll with the crown for other options. Select the zero if that is what you need.”

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2023, 07:02 PM

I find a large oval usually gets recognised as a zero. You can try an old fashioned zero with the diagonal line through it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jan 6, 2023, 08:10 PM

I haven’t gotten any green squares, and I’m running WatchOS 9.3 - which is supposed to be the latest for my watch. I’ll have to play with that sometime (like with Messages) to see what happens. Without that highlighted green square, the crown does nothing.

When I tried a diagonal through my “round shape”, I got a ‘Q’. I did use a “bottom left to top right” slash scribble, too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2023, 04:45 AM

9.2 is the latest version.

9.3 is available as a beta.

Forum Links
Forum Rules