Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail Server Setup

Mail Server Setup
Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2002, 09:58 AM

I'm running an OS X Server box, and I seem to be having some troubles getting the mail server to work correctly.

I know this belongs in the OS X Server forum, but, frankly...no one reads that. So anyway:

Whenever anyone sends a mail message to my email address on the OS X server box, it bounces back to them with an error message saying:
----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<#Address on OS X Server box#>
(reason: 553 - From Address Rejected! User account "#Sending party's username#" MUST exist as a valid local user on "#Sending party's domain name#")

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mail.#Domain of OS X Server box#.:
>>> MAIL From:<#Sending party's address#> SIZE=811
<<< 553 - From Address Rejected! User account "#Sending party's username#" MUST exist as a valid local user on "#Sending party's domain#"
501 5.6.0 Data format error
Sounds like it's the sending party's server that's reporting the error, but it ain't; I've tried it from multiple addresses, and none of them work (and yes, the senders *are* valid users on their respective domains).

Any clues what I'm doing wrong? Again, I know this is in the wrong forum, but if I were to post it to the right one, no one would see it.

Thanks!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2002, 01:08 AM

In case it's helpful, there's a crapload of these lines in my /var/log/mail.log file:

Aug 10 17:30:01 localhost sendmail[5264]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(admin): /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory
Aug 10 17:30:01 localhost sendmail[5264]: gethostbyaddr(#IP of Server#) failed: 1
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2002, 01:19 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
Aug 10 17:30:01 localhost sendmail[5264]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(admin): /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/local-host-names: Group writable directory
That error is caused by your / directory being group readable. Apple installers always make that directory group writeabel dispite the fact that sendmail won't run like that. To fix it do "sudo chmod g-w /"
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Mojo-ike
Aug 14, 2002, 01:31 AM

to get rid of sendmail complaining about the group permissions, you can

sudo chmod g-w /

or modify the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file and uncomment

#O UnsafeGroupWrites=True

chances are, you are going to have to do the chmod command each time you install apple software packages (the installer likes to make the root group writeable).

also, i would most definitely put your local machine in the

/etc/mail/local-host-names

i would imagine that you are getting those send errors because you are trying to use the local sendmail for your smtp server. you cant unless you specify the local machine in the local-host-names file.

thats all i did to use my sendmail for a smtp gateway.

Oneota  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2002, 08:50 AM

Thanks for your help, guys; one question:

Originally posted by Mojo-ike:

also, i would most definitely put your local machine in the

/etc/mail/local-host-names
What format is that file looking for? Would a line containing just "127.0.0.1" be sufficient, or is it looking for the domain name of the machine (localhost or the internet's domain name for it)?

Thanks again!

Mojo-ike
Aug 14, 2002, 09:43 AM

What format is that file looking for? Would a line containing just "127.0.0.1" be sufficient, or is it looking for the domain name of the machine (localhost or the internet's domain name for it)?
(didnt you even want to experiement and try and figure it out on your own? thats the only way ive ever been able to do anything.)

what i have found is that the file is a text file with one machine on each line. i would add

localhost

to the file to get it work for the in-machine sending of mail. you can add other machines on your local network but they need to be able to resolve no problem. that took me some fiddling with bind/named to work propperly.

akebono
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 09:50 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules