Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Using DVD X COPY Express

Using DVD X COPY Express
s0litude
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 05:05 PM

Is it possible to use this pc program using virtual pc on the mac and then making backup copies of dvds? Or is this not the way to do it?
Hi!

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2003, 05:32 PM

There is at least one mac application that does this. I doubt you'd have a very easy time with virtual PC.

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 09:13 PM

http://www.dvd2one.com/

try it out, i've been using it for the past couple weeks, and it's great.

tr

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2003, 04:48 PM

I use DVD Backup 1.3 to rip my DVD's, then DVD2OneX (ver. 1.1.1) to re-encode and burn. Paid about $60 (US) for the copy of DVD2OneX, but that was converted from Euros, as the software is put out by a European company. The program does what it's supposed to, and is reasonably easy to use. My only complaint is the HUGE memory leak it causes. I have to restart my machine after using it or else it eventually crashes everything. It initially brought down my entire system, and took a lot effort to get it back without a full re-install. Even if you quit the program the problem persists, so a restart is necessary.
Yes it's a pain to make backups using all these different programs and steps, but it helps stop the average consumers from going all burnapolooza with rented discs. If CD's were this difficult to copy the RIAA might not be such dicks.....

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 06:49 AM

I have been using dvdbackup and dvd2one as well. At first, I was impressed by the picture quality and relative ease of use. But after doing 8 dvds I've noticed a few quirks on several dvds--dropped audio, low audio on some dvds, slight but noticable image degradation (the image flutters or pulses from sharp to fuzzy). Although all of my copied dvds do play on my sony and panasonic dvd players, I ran into trouble w/ my PS2 which stutters and eventually stops on most discs-- presumably bec of the compression applied by dvd2one.

on top of the quirks, it takes my quicksilver 733 more than a couple of hours to copy a single dvd. that is just too time consuming for my tastes and with only "pretty good" results I probably won't be using these programs again. I'm thinking about trying dvdxcopy (not express) in order to get perfect copies, albeit on 2 discs. I wonder how much faster the process will be on a 3 gig pentium 4?

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2003, 11:32 PM

Hey there,
I've never burned a DVD, but I have a question, should I ever get a burner:

Do programs like DVD2oneX degrade the quality?

I imagine they must since they take 7GB or so of files and put them on a 4.5GB DVD. Does this mean that picture quality and DTS, 5.1, etc. are degraded?

Thanks,
BD

bbt
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2003, 11:24 AM

i know for the pc the best app out there is a freeware called dvdshrink which rips and compresses the dvd at the same time

for burning the dvd files i use imgtool which uses the nero burn engine

burning takes about 20 or so minutes at 2x

depending on the level of compression one dvd may take 20 minutes to 150 or so minutes to decrypt and compress

with these 3 apps copying dvds is relative easy and not too bad on the time

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2003, 11:15 PM

It is time consuming, but that will change as time goes on.. (machines faster, 8x and greater DVD-R burners. etc....) Sound quality with DVD2OneX is flawless, picture quality is OK. Playback on s-Video to TV, and you can see compression from time to time, but nothing too serious. I'm happy with it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by CIA:
Paid about $60 (US) for the copy of DVD2OneX, but that was converted from Euros, as the software is put out by a European company. The program does what it's supposed to, and is reasonably easy to use. My only complaint is the HUGE memory leak it causes. I have to restart my machine after using it or else it eventually crashes everything. It initially brought down my entire system, and took a lot effort to get it back without a full re-install. Even if you quit the program the problem persists, so a restart is necessary.
I'm not seeing this problem on my 12" Powerbook.

-s*

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2003, 10:08 AM

dvd2one does tend to "hog the system", even on my dual 1.25, 768MB. Other apps respond poorly while d2o is running... it makes me feel like I'm running OS 9.

Dunno about the memory leaks. My system resumes it's normal behaviour after I quit d2o app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules