Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 148)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2009, 06:53 PM

Wow, reading Metacritic reviews really sold the game for me.

Basically the word is if you loved Fallout 3 you'll love this game...and we all know how much I love Fallout 3.

Baring some unforeseen financial SNAFU this game will be in my greasy mitts tomorrow. Bad news is the g/f couldn't hang out tonight so she'll demand we do so tomorrow, I'll still be able to play some single player during the afternoon and maybe a little multi from 10-12.

Dakar, if you have been getting off early that's almost a lucky break for me, god knows I need more sleep and less video games...but video games keep getting more awesome, what's a Fatty to do?

Also, the aforementioned similarities to the F3 experience makes this a must own for you too, Bogues. Hows about I hold your copy of Dead Space ransom until you get Borderlands?

...just don't bring up Burnout

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Also, the aforementioned similarities to the F3 experience makes this a must own for you too, Bogues. Hows about I hold your copy of Dead Space ransom until you get Borderlands?

...just don't bring up Burnout
I've actually done some research on this game and contemplated picking it up last week but decided against it. Unfortunately with MW2 and Assassins Creed II coming plus another GTA IV expansion this week, my plate is filled. The game looks great and if the timing was better i'd rush out and buy it tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 09:47 AM

GTA IV can't wait? Wow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Though I just skimmed the comments on the Engadget post, and apparently it requires a disc. That’s annoying. Hope they work with Sony at some point to just build it into the video menu on the XMB.
Why a disc-based application and not streaming access through the PS3 browser?

Netflix members and PS3 owners have really wanted a way to instantly watch movies and TV episodes streamed from Netflix via the PS3 system. The instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let them do this.

Why not distribute the application via PSN download or firmware update, and then embed it into the XMB?

Again, the instant streaming disc represented the fastest and easiest way to let PS3 enthusiasts get Netflix on the PS3. Late next year we expect to have an embedded solution available for PS3s via a system software update slated for release through the PlayStation Network.

Is releasing the PS3 application on a disc required by an exclusivity agreement with Microsoft?

The Netflix agreement with Sony for PS3 is consistent with the terms of our partnership with Microsoft for Xbox 360. Our goal is to give members the opportunity to instantly watch movies streamed from Netflix via the widest variety of Netflix ready devices. All of our partners are aware of our goal.
I could never be a reporter because I'd tire of the dancing with the PR people quickly. Looks like Netflix found a rather huge loophole in the MS contract.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 11:47 AM

That's pretty funny. I wonder if any MS lawyers are getting chairs thrown at them right now.

Incidentally, PR people are hilarious. I think they're some kind of performance artists.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Incidentally, PR people are hilarious. I think they're some kind of performance artists.
I usually enjoy reading the squirming, but eventually their steadfast resolve not answer the question gets to me.

Edit: They're like politicians, only without the power and money.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 12:52 PM

I'm getting really excited for Borderlands, my g/f's brother (who is a long-time PC gamer who just recently got a 360) just picked it up and he loves it.

So far it seems the game is fun single player but transitions smoothly and awesomely to a co-op experience that''l knock your socks off. Two of the characters I'm all over, the sneaky chick and the sniper dude, and each one has a unique upgrade tree.

Good-bye 60 dollars!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 12:54 PM

Same two characters I'm interested in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 01:29 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2009, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Same two characters I'm interested in.
I have a hunch those are the same two everybody's interested in. The other two are kind of bland "warrior" classes.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 02:00 PM

We need a meathead that would be into the tank class.

Edit: For me it has nothing to do with the other classes being bland. I like Rogues and Assasins and Snipers. When battle comes, you'll see me in the back or the shadows.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 02:41 PM

Speaking of lovely PR...

Nintendo of Japan: Nikkei reveal of new DSi is 'speculation'
Nintendo said, "Our company is not doing any interviews. We believe this article is speculation." Of course, that is merely a comment on how Nikkei arrived at that information, and not a denial of the information.

It's familiar, as well. Nintendo of America said almost exactly the same thing about Nikkei's early reveal of the DSi, so we wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a DSi upgrade yet.

Assuming this is true, Jesus Christ Nintendo

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 03:59 PM

I'll always gravitate towards planning out an attack and getting the best drop on my enemy rather then run into battle absorbing bullets.

Probably not going to be on this afternoon, but I just checked by account balance and consider it bought. I'll be on tonight at 10:30, and Thursday night looks like I could game till the wee hours.

At any rate I'll sacrifice sleep and happiness of girlfriend in order to make your purchase worthwhile Dakar, it's been a while since we gamed-out, and I miss your sweet sweet voice....oh yeah, and I have a new mic too.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 04:15 PM

I gravitate towards whatever will have my balls closest to the enemies face when the killing blow lands.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Probably not going to be on this afternoon, but I just checked by account balance and consider it bought. I'll be on tonight at 10:30, and Thursday night looks like I could game till the wee hours.
As long as wal•mart has it in stock I'll be on. I asked a buddy he confirmed diablo+FPS.

Bogues, be a man and put off GTA.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 27, 2009, 06:28 PM

Borderlands = Sold out

Which pretty much throws my getting it before MW into question.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 09:21 PM

As long as wal•mart has it in stock I'll be on. I asked a buddy he confirmed diablo+FPS.

Bogues, be a man and put off GTA.
i've been known to cave to peer pressure (with video games)

...awaiting a fatty/dakar review.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2009, 10:07 PM

Best Buy was sold out but GameStop had a few copies, guess I'll have to convince you guys with a positive review.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 10:16 AM

Yeah, I didn't check GameStop. I picked it up off Amazon on a deal. I even splurged for the one-day shipping, so I should have it tomorrow.

How late did you stay up playing?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 01:17 PM

Ugh, almost 2 AM, luckily the weather turned to sh!t today so I had a minimal day of work.

It's still to early to tell, but I'm really liking the game, apart from the 'autosave' feature which means when you fight through an area of beasts you best get to the objective, quitting 'autosaves' and when you load your game you'll be back at the beginning of the area with all the baddies re-spawned.

The weapon variety is already ridiculous and you have the ability to modify regular grenades with different powerups instead of buying different types of grenades. The soundtrack really gets going when you're in the middle of a firefight, and returns to a soothing ambient Fallout 3-esque tone once you are safe. It runs liquid-smooth, as any cell shaded game on a current gen console should (minus the Wii) and the controls are precise and incredibly easy to pick up.

Enemies so far have been pretty simple, generic dog-sized beast and generic wastelander, I mean, borderlander. When you have the reticle over them it'll display their health, shield, and what level they are. If a baddie is a much higher level than you it'll show a little red skull, meaning don't screw with this guy. This is something I figured out after dying for the 5th time on a boss bandit, which bring you to a "new-U" machine...think Vita-Chamber from BioShock....or the Quantum Reconstruction Device from System Shock 2 (like you guys know about that).

Haven't spent much energy with the trading system, just bought a few guns and whatnot. Every vendor will have a special deal that will only last a minute or two for a unique item. You can buy back an item you might have sold mistakenly for only a little more then what you sold it for, a pretty neat feature IMO.

The guns are satisfying to shoot and reminiscent of XIII for the original Xbox (a fantastic game if you've never played it). It's more common to find unique guns than the same run-of-the-mill guns, in fact my inventory only has one regular gun in it, very cool.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 01:20 PM

What level are you now? By buddy said he pulled an all-nighter when eh got it, and I noticed he hit 20 last night.

Hopefully we're on for Thursday?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 01:22 PM

I got to 9 last night, might have gotten farther if it wasn't for wasting an hour fighting the indestructible man.

If you get the game I am most certainly down for Thursday night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 01:23 PM

Damn, that seems fast.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2009, 01:34 PM

I'd imagine the XP gap to level up gets greater and greater, one thing Oblivion did poorly was that leveling up takes absolutely forever, I bet they have you level up quick apon starting the game so you don't feel like you are making no progress.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 28, 2009, 01:42 PM

Well, yeah. But still, what's the level cap? I saw at least 50, so doing 1/5 of the level cap in one night seems a bit much.

Edit: I started a thread: http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/40...u-final-dakar/

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 09:32 AM

Assuming this is true, Jesus Christ Nintendo
DSi LL comes with a display worth of the PSP 3000. Make it two.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 10:17 AM

Nintendo officially announces large-screen DSi LL, hits Japan Nov. 21

So, what the ****, Nintendo? Do you need to revise you portable every damn year?
(I realize this will not replace anything, but still)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2009, 10:46 AM

...I kinda want one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 10:46 AM

I can see you playing it with you half-glasses while your wife knits.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2009, 11:54 AM

Pentecostal =/= 18th century Puritan.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 11:57 AM

I'm curious how much bigger this bastard is than the original DS.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2009, 01:03 PM

I'm curious how much bigger this bastard is than the original DS.
DS: Weight: 300 grams
Physical dimensions: 148.7 mm x 84.7 mm x 28.9 mm

DSi Chunky: Weight: 314 grams
Physical dimensions: 161 mm x 91.4 mm x 21.2 mm

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 01:04 PM

My, you're quite the accommodating fellow.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2009, 01:18 PM

I won't know for sure what to think until I have one in my hands. I can read about the dimensions and weight all day long, but until I see it and feel it, there's no telling.

The PSP always looked like a fairly comfortable device, but it cramped my hands constantly.

I'm curious as to why Nintendo decided to go this route though. I've always thought the DSi screen was plenty big enough for a portable device. If they're not increasing the resolution, then why make it this big?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 29, 2009, 01:21 PM

It's for old people. Srsly. That's why I made the comment I did about you.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2009, 03:07 PM

I guess I see all old people as Puritans...

Actually, that does make sense, IF Nintendo hardware is as big of a hit with the oldies as they say.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 03:37 PM

I heard that the next one is going to have one of those personal "I've fallen and I can't get up" alarms built-in.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2009, 05:32 PM

Haha. The Nintendo DS LA (Life Alert edition).

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2009, 05:35 PM

Damn, that's cold

Better hope they don't ditch the wifi to save a buck and make a profit on the hardware. Or you have to get the DS LAi edition next year, then you might be able to get 911 to send help when needed.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2009, 11:26 AM

Nintendo has started fumbling in it's execution.....

1. That WM+ add on is going to fragment the market.
2. DSi has fragmented the userbase
3. 2 iterations of their DS line within the span of a single year ? what are they thinking !?!?!
4. A $50 price cut (should have been more like $25-29 imo).
5. Still abysmal third party support after 3 years.
6. they're marketing this new DSiXL to senior citizens...... really ? Thats such a BAD business decision imo, almost as bad as saying that the GCN is for kids.

I'm thinking Nintendo peaked in 2007/2008. It was firing on all cylinders (games, hardware supply, marketing, etc). They've lost it in the past 6-9 months with Wii Fit, eetc.

I suspect the tides will change by Christmas 2010..... PS3 will surge ahead imo. (Unless Nintendo releases a Wii2 before then).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
2 iterations of their DS line within the span of a single year ? what are they thinking !?!?!
They are thinking iPod.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2009, 11:34 AM

Thursday News

Analyst: 'Sony was saved by the success of the Wii'
No. Just no.

Modern Warfare 2 Avatar gear coming to Live tomorrow
"The avatar items, including the Ghost outfit, will be available for download tomorrow. I asked for some to be free but was denied."
I wonder if this has any impact on avatar awards.

Still, a healthy reminder that as draconian as Apple's treatment of the App store can feel sometimes, at least they're not telling developers what they can charge.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 9, 2009, 12:29 PM

Rumor: Kane & Lynch 2 Has A Very NSFW Level - Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - Kotaku
According to a potentially spoiler-filled e-mail—yes, spoiler alert in effect!—from a regularly reliable tipster, Messrs. Kane and Lynch will be on the run entirely in the buff for one of the game's levels.
I wish one of you had the first in your games played so I could use the line "Preorder: CONFIRMED"

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Nintendo has started fumbling in it's execution.....

1. That WM+ add on is going to fragment the market.
2. DSi has fragmented the userbase
3. 2 iterations of their DS line within the span of a single year ? what are they thinking !?!?!
4. A $50 price cut (should have been more like $25-29 imo).
5. Still abysmal third party support after 3 years.
6. they're marketing this new DSiXL to senior citizens...... really ? Thats such a BAD business decision imo, almost as bad as saying that the GCN is for kids.

I'm thinking Nintendo peaked in 2007/2008. It was firing on all cylinders (games, hardware supply, marketing, etc). They've lost it in the past 6-9 months with Wii Fit, eetc.

I suspect the tides will change by Christmas 2010..... PS3 will surge ahead imo. (Unless Nintendo releases a Wii2 before then).
I really do have to admit that I see no point in the DSi XL. It just seems like they're dragging out the tech as long as they can, since the Wii is really just the Gamecube 1.5 and the DSi is the DS 1.5. I understand that they want to maximize profits but by God Nintendo, make some new hardware!

Or course, the rumors make it seem a Wii HD/ Wii 2 is definitely in the works, but given that there is going to be DSi exclusive titles coming out, a DS 2 so soon after wouldn't make sense, so it's probably another 2-3 years away.

MS is still doing okay but seems to be losing ground to the PS3 Slim, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony slip ahead in the next year.

And the PSPgo is dead in the water. Again, Sony should've made it slightly more powerful, named it the PSP 2, and then people wouldn't have complained about it as much, because there'd be a purpose for it to exist, instead of it being a UMD-less PSP1.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 07:07 AM

Wellll... i wouldnt go that far. i mean the DS/DSLite and the Wii are decent pieces of hardware that brought some unique interfaces into the equation.... but the WiiFit, WiiMotion+ and DSi/DSiLL are crappy unnecessary iterations imo.... i mean the amount they are going to spend on modifying the production process(within a year), a whole new narrow/niche marketing campaign and have apps across 3/4(GBA) lines of portable devices being developed is quite frankly a stupid business decision.

What they are doing with the Wii as well is segmenting the market, and when you've got such poor third party efforts to begin with, i wouldnt add another level of complexity to the equation. If the WiiHD doesnt hit the market by Christmas 2010, Sony will take the lead..... their upcoming exclusives along next year warrant that...and when you factor in the price drop it just makets the prospect of owning a PS3 that much better imo.

This process is cyclical, and considering the last time around SONY was the champ (business, market share, execution, etc), Nintendo took the crown for the past 2-3 years, and now i think that same cycle is coming around again. You see Nintendo making those cocky arrogant statements now as well(similar to the SNES/N64 era) about NSMBWii outselling Modern Warfare 2 this holiday..... yeah right, even im tempted to go out and by a copy of MW just to prove them wrong.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2009, 11:38 AM

Tuesday News: So What are you guys playin' tonight? Edition

Left 4 Dead Adds 4v4 Competitive Matchmaking (And L4D2 Demo Expands) - Left 4 Dead 2 - Kotaku
Earlier today, Valve announced support for 4v4 competitive matchmaking to Left 4 Dead.
Huh? What were playing before?

Criterion-developed Need for Speed coming 'next year'
*fingers crossed*

EA: Medal of Honor being revitalized, details 'in the months ahead'
The long-established war series – whose Allied Assault team led to the creation of Infinity Ward and the now dominant Call of Duty series at competitor Activision – has been absent since 2007's triple showing of the poorly received Medal of Honor: Airborne, the poorly received Medal of Honor: Hereos 2, and the even more poorly received Medal of Honor: Vanguard. Yeah, a reboot seems in order.
Wow, EA ****ed up.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2009, 01:47 PM

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2009, 02:02 PM

I'd rather they work on the next Burnout game but oh well. If Criterion is making it, then it's a must buy for me.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2009, 02:05 PM

Don't be surprised if its a slightly more racing focused Burnout with NFS branding. God knows Paradise underperformed in sales (IMO).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2009, 11:10 AM

Wednesday News: Our UAV is Online! Edition

Rumor: Project Natal Launches November 2010, 14 Games, Might Be Cheap - Project Natal - Kotaku
According to sources speaking with British trade site MCV, Microsoft's Project Natal will be released worldwide in November 2010, and may retail for under $80. ... The same sources reckon 14 games will be available at launch, with 5 million cameras ready for sale on day 1, spread between standalone cameras and 360/Natal bundles.
If MS lowers to price to $50 - $60 (the price of a controller or game) and bundles a WiiSports like demo, this thing might have a fighting chance.

Rumor: Next Medal of Honor Set In Present Day - Medal Of Honor - Kotaku
Modern is the new World War II. Sources tell website MCV that the next entry in EA's Medal of Honor series will be set in the present day.

The source tells the site, "It's a new take on the modern warfare idea — and will really help give the series the kick up the arse it needs." The game is apparently slated for February/March 2010 on the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. An announcement is expected before Christmas.
From the looks of the release date, this thing has been in the works for a while.

Forum Links
Forum Rules