Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Disney probes sleazy riders

Disney probes sleazy riders (Page 2)
subego
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2013, 10:50 PM

The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are top notch mechanical rides for every age other than tiny children.

Two of the best in the world, if not the two best.

finboy
May 23, 2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean are top notch mechanical rides for every age other than tiny children.

Two of the best in the world, if not the two best.
What's plagued them in the last few years is flash photography. There used to be reminders, but not anymore. I can't remember the last time I went on Pirates w/o some moron setting off a flash because they saw Captain Jack Swallows or a sleeping pig.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2013, 06:12 PM

What is the worst ride at the Canadian park you speak of?
I guess I should walk that back a bit.

I really was only thinking about the big feature rides, not the little kiddie rides. I'm sure Space Mountain is far better than the whirling teacups at Wonderland.

So tell me say precisely what I should have said: the roller coasters at Wonderland* were far better than the roller coasters at Disney. And at 18 years old, all I cared about was roller coasters and other scary rides (and not waiting it line for an eternity to ride them). So Space Mountain was a big yawn, and if there were other roller coasters at Disney, I can't even remember their names.

*Except for the Ghoster Coaster, which as I said was a ride for little kids.

I barely remember anything about Pirates of the Caribbean, even though I rode it. I remember riding in a tracked car, but I can't recall if it was more like a roller coaster or more like a haunted house with jump scares. Heck, I can't even recall if there was actual water anywhere. I seem to remember actors having sword fights on a pirate ship, but that stuff is more like a staged play than a ride.

Don't remember The Haunted Mansion, but I remember the Tower of Terror at MGM, which I thought was pretty good. Well, the drop at the end was good, but I thought the haunted house track ride that lead up to it was kinda weak.
( Last edited by lpkmckenna; May 23, 2013 at 06:23 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 06:55 PM

A much more reasonable statement. Disney's roller coasters aren't particularly good.

I almost want to say you may have missed both PotC and THM.

PotC has water surrounding the car for the whole ride. No live people either. All animatronic. Cannon fire. Port of Tortuga on fire.

THM has almost no "pop-out" type scares. It's mostly (exceedingly well done) Pepper's Ghost effects.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2013, 06:59 PM

I think even the most callow youth can't help but realize how badass this is to see in person:

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2013, 10:33 AM

A much more reasonable statement. Disney's roller coasters aren't particularly good.
Which is why outside of taking small children I can't see any reason to go to Disney. Or perhaps I should be more specific and say the Magic Kingdom.

OAW

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Which is why outside of taking small children I can't see any reason to go to Disney. Or perhaps I should be more specific and say the Magic Kingdom.

OAW
Of course there is, these is some beautiful architecture and the rides are entertaining, not everything needs to be an adrenaline rush. I think that's a part of the problem with modern society, everyone's gotten themselves into a big damned hurry and nothing short of the fear of death stimulates them anymore.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Tiresias
May 26, 2013, 02:19 AM

Getting paid to spend all day at Disneyland and never having to wait in line?

You gotta admit, that's pretty sweet.

And the moral question notwithstanding, I bet you anything the handicap kids involved to NOT want this probe to screw up their gig.

I say leave well enough alone.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Of course there is, these is some beautiful architecture...
This is the amusement park equivalent to "they have a nice personality".

Forum Links
Forum Rules