Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Virgin Galactic Spaceship 2 has been lost.

Virgin Galactic Spaceship 2 has been lost.
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 02:43 PM

Status of the pilots is unknown. Not much more to be found at this time here: https://twitter.com/virgingalactic

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2014, 03:04 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 03:21 PM

uh oh
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 03:25 PM

Unofficially, one pilot is dead, another in serious condition. You guys know the deal with these breaking news threads.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 31, 2014, 03:28 PM

Is that based on the CHP report? From what I've read, the CHP reported a fatality and a major injury. They didn't say it was the pilots, which could mean they were people on the ground.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Is that based on the CHP report? From what I've read, the CHP reported a fatality and a major injury. They didn't say it was the pilots, which could mean they were people on the ground.
I believe it is, yes. Like I said, breaking news thread. Inaccuracies everywhere.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 04:34 PM

Word is they were testing a new kind of rocket fuel.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 31, 2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
I heard that too.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2014, 04:56 PM

yeah, that's what CNN is now reporting.
What a shame.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2014, 05:00 PM

Oh ****.

A bad week for space flight.

Thorzdad
Oct 31, 2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post

OAW
In fact, they were testing an entirely new type of hybrid engine that uses some sort of N20 and polymer/plastic fuel. They were going for an in-flight full burn test. People on the scene report that the engine successfully fired for about two seconds, then stopped on its own. Then, it re-fired itself and then exploded, breaking SS2 into pieces.

Here's an interesting article detailing the long path that led to Spaceship-2's development and the troubles it had encountered.

This forum thread has some good information gathered by people who know what they're talking about.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 04:37 PM

This is terrifying.

SpaceShipTwo's Surviving Pilot Ejected Into -70 Degree Air at 50,000 Feet

When SpaceShipTwo broke apart it was about nine miles above sea level—almost 50,000 feet, which is twice the height of Mt. Everest. Siebold was ejected, still in his seat, moving at about 600 miles per hour through air that was estimated to be at least -70 degrees Fahrenheit. He was not wearing a spacesuit.

Siebold was knocked unconscious almost immediately, but according to the report, his last memory was sensing that the moisture on his tongue was boiling. That's because water boils at much lower temperatures when you're at higher elevation due to a decrease in pressure, so the heat of his own body would have been plenty to push it over the boiling point.
I wonder how this compares (in elevation) with the two guys who did controlled free-falls.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 12, 2014, 04:49 PM

I see one problem right away. A test flight to the edge of space without a pressure suit? Maaaaaann.

Thorzdad
Nov 12, 2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I wonder how this compares (in elevation) with the two guys who did controlled free-falls.
Not even close. This guy just set the record free-fall jump from 135,908 feet. The previous record was 127,852 feet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 04:57 PM

I see one problem right away. A test flight to the edge of space without a pressure suit? Maaaaaann.
Yeah, I was a bit taken aback when the crash first happened that it was apparent these guy weren't outfitted for a catastrophe.

I guess it must be the commercial aspect of not making people uncomfortable? Or general budgetary cheapness.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 12, 2014, 05:09 PM

The Red Bull jump was 128,000 feet. He got up to 843mph, but gradually. I imagine getting hit with a blast of 600mph air, even at that high altitude/low density could cause some trauma.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2014, 05:12 PM

I wonder where "moisture on your tongue boiling" falls on the "drank McDonald's coffee" to "ate some pop-rocks" continuum.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2014, 05:33 PM

So, the semi-informed scuttle I hear from (full disclosure) SpaceX friendlies is that the whole VG process has been a disaster. FWIU, they designed the ship before they designed the engine. This is why they "have" to test new fuels. A "normal" engine which can fit inside isn't powerful enough. The only other option is to scrap the entire project and start fresh.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 12, 2014, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The Red Bull jump was 128,000 feet. He got up to 843mph, but gradually. I imagine getting hit with a blast of 600mph air, even at that high altitude/low density could cause some trauma.
There's one for Mythbusters.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2014, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Not even close. This guy just set the record free-fall jump from 135,908 feet. The previous record was 127,852 feet.
Holy shit, I had no idea Baumgartner's record was broken so quickly. Too bad it wasn't livestreamed (altho from his perspective it's totally the better choice)......but I was watching the Red Bull stream live and it was super stressful and awesome. From a viewing standpoint it was just fantastic TV.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2014, 06:12 PM

Yeah, I was a bit taken aback when the crash first happened that it was apparent these guy weren't outfitted for a catastrophe.

I guess it must be the commercial aspect of not making people uncomfortable? Or general budgetary cheapness.
From the comment section in the article Dakar posted:

Burt Rutan made the design decision early on in SpaceShipOne's development not to have the pilots wear full pressure suits. The fuselage is made of spun fibers and the entry/exit hatch would have to have been made much larger to accomodate pilots/passengers wearing bulky pressure suits, decreasing structural integrity. He decided to accept the risk and make the hatches smaller.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

reader50
Administrator
Nov 13, 2014, 07:23 PM

Assuming the referenced comments are true, this is SpaceShipTwo, not SpaceShipOne. And it would still allow a helmet and oxygen mask. Sending test pilots up with nothing is asking for casualties.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2014, 07:36 PM

And you know what? You can hand the helmet to me once I've squeezed through the hatch. Don't mind the extra step.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 13, 2014, 07:44 PM

I was picturing a motorcycle helmet and simple hospital oxygen mask. It would be smaller than the torso, so it would fit through the hatch. If you aren't using a full pressure suit, concentrate on head protection and oxygen. Keep him conscious for at least a short time until the freezing temps put him out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2014, 07:58 PM

Or similarly, the type of rig a fighter pilot would use.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2014, 08:00 PM

Is the survivor the only person ever flung into a vacuum without a suit who lived to tell the tale?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 14, 2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I wonder where "moisture on your tongue boiling" falls on the "drank McDonald's coffee" to "ate some pop-rocks" continuum.
After discussion, my father and I concluded it's somewhere in the Perrier region.

"Frisky water" was the term he used.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 14, 2014, 10:44 PM

It wouldn't be hot, quite the contrary.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2014, 03:13 AM

Though it occurred to us it may feel hot, the way putting your hand under a cold faucet can feel hot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules