Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what to do with wide screen and web?

what to do with wide screen and web?
Robster1958
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 01:03 AM

ok..new user...stupid question.

but expanding the web browser the whole width of the TiBook just gives blank space on the right side.

do you squeeze it and then fit in two pages like you might do with other programs?
Rob
2.1 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro 2 GB RAM, OS X 10.5

16 Gig iPod Touch

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 09:44 AM

Since this is a question with the 17" screen, and since none of us seem to have 17" powerbooks yet, I'm sure you'd get more responses in the iMac forum.

My guess is that I would like to have two webbrowsers open at once. Thats sorta why I like widescreen...it allows one to do that easily.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 09:53 AM

I use the extra space on the right of my TiBook 15"'s screen for my bookmark list tray in Chimera/Camino.

Voch

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 10:34 AM

oops sorry for not clarifying: I'm using the 15" TiBook.
(I just switched from iBook, so that's why i said wide )
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

poff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 11:42 AM

Perhaps this is a basic response, but for what it's worth:

Many web pages are designed to be a specific width in order to accomodate those with smaller monitors. Regardless of your browser width, those pages will only display at the speficied width.

Hope that this was somewhat useful.

Originally posted by Robster1958:
ok..new user...stupid question.

but expanding the web browser the whole width of the TiBook just gives blank space on the right side.

do you squeeze it and then fit in two pages like you might do with other programs?

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 6, 2003, 03:25 PM

Just leave the web site browser at the right size. No need to max it out. Use that space for iChat, or any number of other programs. As a PEECEE user, I automatcially maximise the window (Photoshop, Explorer, etc). But when I use my friend's Gigabook, I just leave that space open perhaps another browser in the back ground so I can quickly click it to get to it.

Besides like someone pointed out before, most web site creators make website to be viewed at a certain resoltion (that current standard at least in the PEECEE world is 800x600 ppi). Try and keep it that way for you r sake and the creator's...
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 04:39 PM

Being a switcher, that's something I still struggle with, like a previous poster said, most sites are 800x600, and I maximise my screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it not covering the screen one day.

pamelaubeda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 04:42 PM

LOL! That's probably THE only yet THE hardest thing to get used to with the mac! I actually just posted a thread asking for peoples advice on how they use their wide desktops...how they personalize etc....
switcher...if/when I ever get my powerbook.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 04:46 PM

two words ... konfab ... uh, one word .... konfabultor!
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

pamelaubeda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2003, 04:50 PM

You know what? I have NO idea what that program does (Kon-whatever), or what it's supposed to do. I've read the site descriptions for it...but I just don't get it!

Somebody tell me examples of how they've used it!?
switcher...if/when I ever get my powerbook.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by pamelaubeda:
LOL! That's probably THE only yet THE hardest thing to get used to with the mac! I actually just posted a thread asking for peoples advice on how they use their wide desktops...how they personalize etc....
a mac user will say the same thing about always working maximized in windows. Its tough to get used to for sure.

I always think it looks dumb though when my friend reads news on his big monitor becase he's got these huge long lines of text. I like to keep my windows around 800 wide, and as tall as it will go. Sometimes a bit wider, but usually not.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2003, 08:09 PM

*DOH!* If I had to pick ONE gripe about the Apple operating sytems, it would be this. It's aggrivatinggg like no other to me, and I have no idea what I'll use the extra screen space for. It bothers me for an application not to cover the entire screen.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Vond
Mar 6, 2003, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
Being a switcher, that's something I still struggle with, like a previous poster said, most sites are 800x600, and I maximise my screen. I suppose I'll just get used to it not covering the screen one day.
I moved my dock over to the right side to get as much vertical space as possible and use up some of the excess width that I really don't need. I want a G4 laptop with a 14" 1280x1024 4:3 screen really, but no such item exists.

Robster1958  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2003, 11:20 PM

now i get it!

burning a CD in iTunes while i type this!
Rob

16 Gig iPod Touch

Forum Links
Forum Rules