Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buying advice

Buying advice
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 05:35 PM

I was given an xbox and accessories for the holidays totaling about $450.
Since I have not use for an xBox, I don't want to play Halo that much, I'm looking for ideas on what to get instead.

One Idea was to get a used mac to replace my current one. Replace with a used computer, yes because my current machine is a B&W G3 @450 384MB.

Anyone more savvy with regards to the used Mac market than can share some advice / suggestions would be helpful.

I tend to prefer desktops over laptops 'cus they're cheaper to fix and they go well with my 22" cinema display, bought back when I was more gainfully employed. I don't do alot of heavy computer gaming, partially because of the slow machine but also because its not so much fun alone. I do however do quite a bit of coding and the large screen comes in real handy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2005, 05:57 PM

I'd say a graphite model G4 was pretty gettable for that money. If it wasn't for the 22" screen you have I'd say get a refurb eMac or iMac.

These guys sell graphite G4's for between $399 and $599 (in the 'Apple Desktops' page. Other than that, try eBay or your local classified ads.

Oh yeah, and like PacHead says below, it's probably worth seeing what comes out at the MWSF Expo, the rumoured 'headless eMac' computer would be a better bet if its true.
( Last edited by ajprice; Jan 1, 2005 at 06:09 PM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

PacHead
Baninated
Jan 1, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by BLAZE_MkIV:
I was given an xbox and accessories for the holidays totaling about $450.
Since I have not use for an xBox, I don't want to play Halo that much, I'm looking for ideas on what to get instead.

One Idea was to get a used mac to replace my current one. Replace with a used computer, yes because my current machine is a B&W G3 @450 384MB.

Anyone more savvy with regards to the used Mac market than can share some advice / suggestions would be helpful.

I tend to prefer desktops over laptops 'cus they're cheaper to fix and they go well with my 22" cinema display, bought back when I was more gainfully employed. I don't do alot of heavy computer gaming, partially because of the slow machine but also because its not so much fun alone. I do however do quite a bit of coding and the large screen comes in real handy.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
If the rumours are true, pick up the new cube coming out @ MWSF I believe. You already have the display, so you're set, and the price should be around what you have.

This is if there is indeed a new cube, wait a few days and see. A 1.25 machine for $500-$600 (or around there) aint bad indeed.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 1, 2005, 07:25 PM

if you sell your old powermac you should be able to get a dp graphite or even a mdd

Forum Links
Forum Rules