Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > If your money gets stolen but you are not sure

If your money gets stolen but you are not sure
PB2K
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 04:40 AM

I had my car fixed at a garage I go to every now and then. I know the owner not too well but I never had issues with him and up to yesterday I trusted him. Because I had to pick up some items outside of the garage I left my backpack there.
When I got back afer an hour I took my bag and went outside to do some groceries. Then I noticed that instead of 600 euro's, there was only 300 euro's in my wallet.

I didn't say anything but I suspect the owner of stealing some of my money. But what can I do? If I would confront him with the theft he could simply deny it, and what if he didn't do it at all? This situation sucks.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 05:43 AM

The owner? Maybe not. The people working on your car? Maybe. I knew some mechanics back in my shady days that made a HABIT of going through people's cars while they fixed them looking for valuables. I always threatened to tell their boss but that never phased them. Eventually him and his friend got caught and were prosecuted for all the claims made by customers that stuff was stolen. (They only got one case proven, all they needed)

Moral of the story. When taking your car to get worked on, never leave anything of importance in it.

I once had a oz. of weed stolen off me from one of these places. And it was hidden well.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I once had a oz. of weed stolen off me from one of these places. And it was hidden well.
Did you have a police report filed on the incident?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Did you have a police report filed on the incident?
Yeah... ... .um no.

That is why they did it. They knew I wouldn't call the police. That is why a lot of drug houses get robbed.

Having said that, In Ohio you can have a little over 2 ounces on your before it becomes a anything but a traffic ticket. I got pulled over with a OZ on me once. Police confiscated it and gave me a ticket.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 06:34 AM

i had money stolen from my hotelroom twice. I am now really careful with my money while i travel, it's just this particular garage where i come often enough that i dont need to expect theft.

It's a really dirty trick to steal some of your money, and not all. They know you will blame yourself first. Even now I am wondering if I really didn't spend the 300 missing euro's on something before I entered the garage
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
It's a really dirty trick to steal some of your money, and not all. They know you will blame yourself first. Even now I am wondering if I really didn't spend the 300 missing euro's on something before I entered the garage
Most theifs do it to make themselves feel better about it. "Well I could have robbed him blind..." or "At least I left him something to live on"

As if said person has any right to do such a thing in the first place. But yeah, with some sociopaths I would say the "He'll think he lost it elsewhere" scheme probably comes into effect as well. I've heard them all.

I've heard some of the BEST store "shoplifters" do some really dumb stuff, yet get away with it because of their attitude. They say "Go in there acting like you are going to buy something, and own the store, grab what you want, convince yourself it's yours, and if they don't have security at the door, just leave"

And 99% of the time I've seen guys leave out of places like Lowes with small table saws, power generators etc. Disgusting and amazing at the same time.

They weren't doing it for drug money or anything. Just for the thrill of it.

*shrug*

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 09:18 AM

Even now I am wondering if I really didn't spend the 300 missing euro's on something before I entered the garage
unfortunately its kinda your fault if you dont even know how much you left in there. Thats a lot of money to leave sitting around by the way. People are evil dont trust any of em.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2007, 09:32 AM

because I had to pick up some items outside of the garage I left my backpack there.
When I got back afer an hour I took my bag and went outside to do some groceries. Then I noticed that instead of 600 euro's, there was only 300 euro's in my wallet.
That bites but why in the world would you leave cash in a car. There's trust and then there's trust. I never leave anything in my truck that I'd miss (especially cash) if it disappeared.

I would have confronted him right off the bat and file a police report. As time goes by I think it makes it more difficult to do that

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 09:32 AM

I would say to ask the shop owner etc, but since you admitted yourself that you don't know if you've lost it or not...

Only do blaming when you are 100% sure you know what you know. If you know what I mean.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 09:51 AM

Why would you carry nearly $900 in cash around with you, then leave it unattended for over an hour?

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 10:13 AM

Agreed. That really is the first question that needs to be answered...

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Why would you carry nearly $900 in cash around with you, then leave it unattended for over an hour?
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 10:59 AM

Yeah, it's stupid to leave that much cash in the car unattended, when someone else you don't know is going to be in the car.

It's equally stupid not to mention it either to the store owner or the police.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 11:15 AM

Man, that's one of the reasons why I never carry more than $ 100 in cash, in most cases, I only have like $ 20.

Credit cards rule, you'll always get your money back.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Man, that's one of the reasons why I never carry more than $ 100 in cash, in most cases, I only have like $ 20.

Credit cards rule, you'll always get your money back.

-t
I always carry more than $20 with me. But the key is the "with me" part.

In Toronto you don't get very far with $20, since even just parking can cost that much.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 26, 2007, 12:00 PM

As if said person has any right to do such a thing in the first place.
*giggle*

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
In Toronto you don't get very far with $20, since even just parking can cost that much.
I pay for almost all my parking with my VISA these days. Easy and convenient.

gradient
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 12:10 PM

Did you get paid to say that? If not, you're a natural.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:14 PM

Key is "almost". Some parking lots only take cash.

Anyways, I usually like to have between $50 - $200 on me, cash, and I use my Visa/AmEx/MC a lot.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 26, 2007, 12:15 PM

Yeah, it's stupid to leave that much cash in the car unattended, when someone else you don't know is going to be in the car.
Agreed. I take all valuables out of my car beforehand. If they steal the stereo they are gonna have a hard time explaining that one.
It's equally stupid not to mention it either to the store owner or the police.
Agreed too. I'd have called the police then and there. Then again they may not have had sympathy for you considering you left that much money in your car when you knew others would be in it..

Having said that we shouldn't HAVE to worry about people doing this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 12:19 PM

Having said that we shouldn't HAVE to worry about people doing this.
You mean in the sense of

"Don't worry if the cash you left in the car will be stolen, it will be for sure !"

-t

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 27, 2007, 02:04 AM

A friend stopped in for a detailing at a local detail shop around here one day. When the car was done the worker dude was like "hey, uh, I found this under your seat".. it was a little baggie with white powder in it.

I valeted cars for a while, we would occasionally get accused of stealing something from someone, but we had a good crew. The accusers were usually drunk though, bowtie sideways and everything.

I don't even carry a wallet, ever. Visa/Identification left front pocket, cash/phone in front right pocket.
ice

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 07:59 AM

Yeah... ... .um no.

That is why they did it. They knew I wouldn't call the police. That is why a lot of drug houses get robbed.

Having said that, In Ohio you can have a little over 2 ounces on your before it becomes a anything but a traffic ticket. I got pulled over with a OZ on me once. Police confiscated it and gave me a ticket.
Its not a crack house, its a crack HOME.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2007, 08:07 AM

I always carry more than $20 with me. But the key is the "with me" part.
I'm married with kids - I'm lucky if I have 4 dollars in my pocket on any given day and half of that will be change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules