Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Screen sharing problem - cannot connect

Screen sharing problem - cannot connect
peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2008, 04:22 PM

OK, so I am trying to troubleshoot my mother's new MacBook (leopard) using my Powerbook (also Leopard) using iChat screen sharing.
We can chat, but whenever we initiate screensharing (either way) it starts to connect, then stops with a 'screen sharing cannot be initiated' or something. We both have it enabled, and allowed in the Firewall settings - what could I be doing wrong?
Thanks!

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 05:26 PM

Do both of you have the correct ports forwarded in your routers?

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 1, 2008, 08:30 PM

I haven't the first clue. Is this necessary? If so, then I guess that's the issue - I couldn't find anything about that on the Apple page.
Can I by-pass that by plugging straight into the cable modem?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 1, 2008, 09:17 PM

I would think you need the ports forwarded in your router, unless there is an option for NAT on your router which you can turn on, that might fix it.
Yes you could bypass it by plugging straight into the cable modem.

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 02:00 AM

Thanks!

peeb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 03:49 PM

Got it working - thanks for your help.
As a side note - HOLY CRAP - desktop sharing rocks. Never again will I have problems troubleshooting my parents' computer remotely. "It's fine Mom - go get a cup of tea, it will be fixed when you get back!"

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2008, 05:52 PM

I've seen a couple of PC apps that allow desktop sharing, and for helping out, troubleshooting, and general support sharing can't be beat. It's spooky the first time your cursor moves and you didn't do it, but after that it's cool! Glad you got it all figured out.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Longwalker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 12:20 AM

I have the "cannot connect" Screen Sharing problem almost every time I try to use iChat Screen Sharing. Does anyone know if today's Leopard 10.5.2 update fixes the problem?

Cold Warrior
Feb 12, 2008, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Longwalker View Post
I have the "cannot connect" Screen Sharing problem almost every time I try to use iChat Screen Sharing. Does anyone know if today's Leopard 10.5.2 update fixes the problem?
Describe your network setup on both ends.

It's most likely a NAT/port issue.

courp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2008, 12:09 AM

I have just upgraded to 10.5.2 and it didn't help me. Though I am not trying to screen share by ichat. I have a G5 and a MacBook Pro both connected to a hub. I can screen access the laptop from the G5 but can't screen share the other way around. I have the same settings on both machines. When I click on screen share it ask me for name and password when I enter it it I get a message that one or both are incorrect. Hope that 10.5.2 would straighten things out, it didn't.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 13, 2008, 10:00 AM

Do you have an account on both machines? Is the account on one under a different name than the account on the other one?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

sliderule2167
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2008, 01:26 AM

I too am having a problem trying to do remote screen sharing in iChat. Here's my set up: My mac is on a wireless network that is connected to a cable modem. The target mac is across the city and connected directly to a cable modem. I have not tried connecting directly to my cable modem, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I could probably find a way to try that if it were the lesser of two evils. I flipped through the web interface for my wireless router but didn't see anything about a NAT.

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Feb 17, 2008, 01:33 AM

Try forwarding ports to your specific Mac that's on the wifi network. You'll need to access the wifi router to configure port forwarding. Ports -

3283, TCP/UDP
5900, TCP
5988, TCP

"Well Known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products

Cold Warrior
Feb 17, 2008, 01:35 AM

If you'd just like direct access to the app (not having to go through iChat), the application is in System/Library/CoreServices and is called Screen Sharing. I use it often, so I put it in my Dock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules