Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Apple File Sharing won't turn on

Apple File Sharing won't turn on
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2008, 02:14 AM

Today I noticed that apple file sharing wasn't working from my G5, and in the Sharing pref pane Personal File Sharing was unchecked. Well that's odd, I'll just turn it back on. Except it doesn't turn on. I click the box, I push the "start" button, nothing happens. No feedback, at all. I tried restarting the machine, leaving it off for several hours, deleting the File Sharing preferences, nothing made any difference. Any ideas?

G5 is 2x2.5GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
OS X is 10.4.11

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2008, 10:27 AM

The simple stuff comes to mind: are you logged in as an admin on that machine? Have you recently added any software that could possibly interact with your networking functions?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 01:43 PM

Admin: yes, also tried logging in as another admin, same problem

Software: I can't remember the last time I installed a new piece of software, and I use file sharing every day. This machine records TV to serve to the mac mini in another room for playback.

I tried watching Console while clicking the checkbox, and it says something like
error type 1 FileSharing.m: line 231
I'll have to check again when I get home to get the exact error. But I searched for that file name on my machine and on google and I never found it. I found this and I remember that his error was on a different line of the file. Any ideas?

Edit: oh yeah also I tried booting from an old OS X install on the second hard drive, and file sharing works there. I don't want to start fresh with all saved settings and cookies etc, but I guess that's a fallback.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2008, 11:08 PM

Here's the exact error:
"### Error:-1 File:/SourceCache/SharingPref/SharingPref-106/FileSharing.m Line:231"
None of those directories or file(s) can be found anywhere. What are they?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 4, 2008, 05:58 PM

The only answer I have found sounds like an interesting fix. Go here to read the macoshints forum discussion on the subject. It comes down to reparing the disk via booting from the OS X install disc and running Disk Utility. Odd, indeed, but it seems to have worked for the people on macoshints.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules