Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The era of huge SUVs is over. Discuss.

The era of huge SUVs is over. Discuss. (Page 4)
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 12:15 PM

I certainly agree that the average middle wage earner is not likely going to buy a 5500lbs+ Chevy/GMC mega hauler anylonger, but if you've got the money (And I've been blessed to as a result of dumb luck), you will still buy the luxury SUV, like the X5, Porsche, Range Rover, etc.... when you think about it, the Range Rover was selling well before people were into the SUV fad.. it was sold a functional, off road vehicle with luxury. I've got the new BMW X5 and from what my dealer is telling me, they're not having a hard time moving them and are in fact short on the V8 models (oddly), where as I've spoken to a friend in sales at a Chevy dealer and he said they're at the point now where they WILL NOT accept an SUV on trade..
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
LMAO!

That's an easy statement to make, considering the hybrids haven't been around long enough to make an argument.
No that's a very valid statement.

The TCO and the total impact on environment (from production to use to scrapping) is not known well enough.

Many studies show that the energy used in making hybrids is so much more than producing a run-of-the-mill gas car. Some even suggest that there will be no break-even in terms of additional energy used vs energy saved.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules