Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Happy Easter everyone!

Happy Easter everyone!
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2009, 06:08 AM

For those who celebrate Easter and to all those posting here and in the PWL, I hope you and yours have a blessed day.
ebuddy

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2009, 06:41 AM

wrong forum:
Political/War Lounge (3 Viewing) Politics, war, religion, party bickering, etc. Please check straw men at the door.
JUST KIDDING!!

Happy Easter ebuddy

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2009, 08:16 AM

Happy Easter on this resurrection Sunday
~Mike

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2009, 08:30 AM

For those of you who don't celebrate Easter – have a killer bunny day instead!
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2009, 08:17 PM

Happy Ēostre. Hope you have lots of sex and a bountiful harvest.

Can't you guys get your own holidays?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2009, 11:41 PM

Happy easter y'all.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 12, 2009, 11:44 PM

Happy Easter. I had a fantastic weekend with the family.

I test drove a new Fusion.

I rode a 35 year old 200cc motorcycle 50 miles through the middle of nowhere.

I did some body work on my dad's car.

I asked my girlfriend's parents for her hand.

A pretty good weekend overall.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 12:44 PM

I hope everyone had a good cadbury day

Btw I hate to admit it... I was most looking forward to the Doctor Who easter special...

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 12:54 PM

Happy Easter. Spent mine with the boy's family and am now wearing his ex-fiancee's $3500 engagement ring until we return it to the jewelry store where he originally bought it. (No, I'm not engaged - there will be an attention whore thread when that happens, believe me.)

Then I drove. And drove and drove and drove, straight through from Nashville to Indianapolis. It sucked. I never want to drive again.

Oh, and we stopped at an "adult superstore" in Kentucky. I've never seen so many vibrators. They had a buttplug that was easily 9-10" in diameter at the base. I wanted to buy it and paint it to look like a garden gnome, take it to work, and see if anyone could figure out what it actually was.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Salty
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2009, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Happy Easter. Spent mine with the boy's family and am now wearing his ex-fiancee's $3500 engagement ring until we return it to the jewelry store where he originally bought it. (No, I'm not engaged - there will be an attention whore thread when that happens, believe me.)

Then I drove. And drove and drove and drove, straight through from Nashville to Indianapolis. It sucked. I never want to drive again.

Oh, and we stopped at an "adult superstore" in Kentucky. I've never seen so many vibrators. They had a buttplug that was easily 9-10" in diameter at the base. I wanted to buy it and paint it to look like a garden gnome, take it to work, and see if anyone could figure out what it actually was.
Wow... I'd love to do that! I don't understand how people can do that sorta thing to their butts!

Railroader
Banned
Apr 14, 2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Happy Easter. I had a fantastic weekend with the family.

I test drove a new Fusion.

I rode a 35 year old 200cc motorcycle 50 miles through the middle of nowhere.

I did some body work on my dad's car.

I asked my girlfriend's parents for her hand.

A pretty good weekend overall.

Seriously, congratulations to both of you.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 01:54 PM

No kidding, that one has been brewing for a while now...

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 14, 2009, 01:55 PM

And due to my "inadequacy," we had to pick up a "substitute" or two at the "adult" store.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 04:36 PM

This thread is quickly becoming legendary.

I don't know which is classier - our stop at the adult superstore, or the fact that I had to wrap scotch tape around this ring to get it to stay on my finger.

The nutbag he was engaged to just wanted some bling. She didn't even really want to get married anymore, by the time they actually got engaged. Bitch.

Congrats, Laminar. I'll send you a buttplug as a wedding gift.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2009, 04:51 PM

This is the stuff legendary threads are made of.

PS: Congrats to Laminar for his engagement.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2009, 12:26 AM

It's not official yet, I just have her parents' permission. The engagement will come soon enough, but she has no idea at this point.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 02:24 AM

This thread is quickly becoming legendary.
-snip-

pictures or else

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 09:16 AM

It's not official yet, I just have her parents' permission. The engagement will come soon enough, but she has no idea at this point.
You've at least talked about getting married, I hope. This isn't something you want to spring on a girl if she's completely unprepared for the idea of marriage.

I've never really understood the asking-the-parents-for-permission thing. What are they going to do, say no and prohibit you from marrying their daughter? Isn't it her decision whether or not she wants to marry you? It's not like she's the property of her parents, sitting by while they make all of her life choices for her. It's the same with the whole thing about the father giving the bride away at the wedding, like he's passing control of her over to her husband. Screw that. I'm not some puppet under the control of the men in my life. I'll decide who I marry and when I marry them. No man, father or not, is going to make that decision for me. It's my life - not my father's, my brother's, or anyone else's.

/feminist rant

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 10:06 AM

OOooooooo, someone's got some parental issues... didn't see that one coming

andi*pandi
Apr 15, 2009, 10:09 AM

/feminist rant
While I agree with much of that, I do think it is charming and respectful to ask the parents. Of course they don't have final say, but they may have helpful advice or even just appreciate the thought.

I had both my parents walk me down the aisle. My husband had his parents walk him down. Even without the "passing of ownership" there is still a place in a wedding for a parental transition role.

Good Luck Laminar, hope she says yes!

OreoCookie
Apr 15, 2009, 10:17 AM

You've at least talked about getting married, I hope. This isn't something you want to spring on a girl if she's completely unprepared for the idea of marriage.

I've never really understood the asking-the-parents-for-permission thing. What are they going to do, say no and prohibit you from marrying their daughter? Isn't it her decision whether or not she wants to marry you?
Well, as far as I know the tradition, you ask the parents after she has said yes. I've understood asking the parents only as a way to foster a good relationship with your future in-laws, it's a sign of respect and that you like them.

To be honest, I wouldn't do that with all prospective in-laws: the parents of one gf I've had in particular, I would have never wanted to ask them to. (They were `difficult,' if you know what I mean.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2009, 10:41 AM

Yes, we've been dating for a year and a half, we've both started at companies we can see ourselves in long term, and we've discussed the M word.

I've never really understood the asking-the-parents-for-permission thing. What are they going to do, say no and prohibit you from marrying their daughter? Isn't it her decision whether or not she wants to marry you? It's not like she's the property of her parents, sitting by while they make all of her life choices for her. It's the same with the whole thing about the father giving the bride away at the wedding, like he's passing control of her over to her husband. Screw that. I'm not some puppet under the control of the men in my life. I'll decide who I marry and when I marry them. No man, father or not, is going to make that decision for me. It's my life - not my father's, my brother's, or anyone else's.

/feminist rant
It shows respect. It doesn't mean they own her, I didn't offer her dad a couple goats and a nice piece of land in trade, but I showed them that I value and respect their position in her life. Some people are very close with their family.

Tiresias
Apr 15, 2009, 10:41 AM

/feminist rant
QFT!

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 10:59 AM

I didn't offer her dad a couple goats and a nice piece of land in trade
Mad intarweb points if you do

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 01:51 PM

It shows respect. It doesn't mean they own her, I didn't offer her dad a couple goats and a nice piece of land in trade, but I showed them that I value and respect their position in her life. Some people are very close with their family.
Maybe I'm just coming at it from the perspective of someone who is very independent. I've long grown out of looking to my mother for permission or blessing to do anything with my life. Even if my father were still a part of my life, I wouldn't be looking to him for permission to do anything in my life, from buying a dress for a first date to whom I choose to marry.

It just seems like, at least in the conservative Christian world in which I was raised, that the asking-dad's-permission and the handing-off-of-the-bride-at-the-altar things come directly from the idea that a woman is more or less under the thumb of her father and, after marriage, her husband.

Face it - the traditions discussed in the Bible are very male-centric and place a woman underneath a man in the hierarchy. When a high school friend of mine got married, she was still living at home (she was 21) and "submitted" to her father's rule (he wasn't a dipwad or anything, but she never made decisions without asking his permission first). She told me flat-out that she was perfectly fine with control of her life being passed from her father to her husband-to-be. I thought that was ridiculous.

Another married Christian couple I know is much the same. The husband handles all the big stuff, like finances and large purchase decisions. The wife doesn't even know what's going on with their finances - if he died in a fire tomorrow, she wouldn't even know how to easily access information on their bank and investment accounts.

It's that kind of stuff in the Christian world that just really, really bothers me. As a woman, it is not up to any man, related or not, to decide how I live my life. That's my decision. Not only that, but I view marriage as a partnership - not a woman being under the patriarchal control of her husband. The husband and wife should take equal part in big decisions, and both should be active and equal participants in things as important as the family finances.

I'm not a hardcore feminist or anything, but I've gotten a little weary of the so-called Christian tenet that women are supposed to be subservient to men at all times.

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Even without the "passing of ownership" there is still a place in a wedding for a parental transition role.
I think that greatly depends on the relationship both people have with their respective parent(s). When I get married, there will be no transition of roles from my mother or from the boyfriend's parents. I've already decided that I'm going to have my best friend (who's a guy) walk me down the aisle, because that means a lot more to me than having my brother or someone else do it - my husband is supposed to be my best friend, and my BFF is going to have to adapt to our friendship changing as a result.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 10:45 PM

This thread is about Easter?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2009, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
This thread is about Easter?
I, too, am surprised that a thread drifted from its original topic!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 11:00 PM

Of course not. Like all Lounge threads, it's about me.

And poop.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2009, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
(They were `difficult,' if you know what I mean.)
They buried former suiters in their basement?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I had both my parents walk me down the aisle.
You say walk. Video ref says drag.
I didn't offer her dad a couple goats and a nice piece of land in trade
So... what are your plans for the goats?
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Wow... I'd love to do that! I don't understand how people can do that sorta thing to their butts!
I'm sure there are probably tutorials online, if you're interested. <Two thumbs up - gotta start somewhere.

Congratulations all, on the butt plug gnome zombie jesus nupital Fusion thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules