Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Repeat Database Errors

Repeat Database Errors
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2014, 09:16 AM

I posted to the sticky, but not sure if anyone saw it. Several times nearly every day on MBA (not iPhone or iPad), getting the following Database error;

It most often happens when I'm already into a thread and click to quote someone's post or to move to another page in the thread. It does not display any commonality with the most recent pop-up phenomena folks are reporting as this has not been happening to me.
ebuddy

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2014, 12:08 PM

This seems to happen to me occasionally when I'm running Firefox, but not with Chrome or Safari.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2014, 01:44 PM

I noticed the problems go away when you stop visiting 'NN.

Coincidence ? Fix ?

-t

reader50
Administrator
Jan 3, 2014, 06:43 PM

I kicked this upstairs; it's being worked on.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2014, 09:50 AM

You da man, reader50! For what it's worth, I use Safari.
ebuddy

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2014, 04:14 PM

It's not a browser issue, assuming that screen is the 500 error page

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
This seems to happen to me occasionally when I'm running Firefox, but not with Chrome or Safari.
Mobile and desktop Safari exclusively here, and I've seen it a lot in the past week or so.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Mobile and desktop Safari exclusively here, and I've seen it a lot in the past week or so.

It's not a browser issue.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2014, 08:56 PM

Yes, I was supporting your earlier point.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2014, 09:39 PM

Sorry about that, I missed picking up on that.

Browser troubleshooting 101 to those that might be interested, I deal with a lot of clients that aren't sure where to focus on troubleshooting these sorts of problems, so hopefully this helps:

All the browser does is render whatever HTML/CSS it has been given. If it isn't given HTML to render, such as what is happening here, there is nothing any browser can do. There is a long list of reasons as to why the backend would paint out and not handle the HTTP request, none of the them browser related.

The only exception I can think of is in the old days when some web apps would need Microsoft ActiveX stuff and not handle non-IE browsers, but these sorts of days are thankfully mostly, if not completely behind us. With the vBulletin app, which drives this forum, there is definitely nothing special or unusual required that renders certain browsers incompatible.

The sorts of things a browser incompatibility can cause are pretty much funky renderings, stuff that looks ugly, sometimes even scrambled, etc. This is often due to incompatible CSS rules, and you'll see this most of the time in IE, and there will be consistent browser-specific problems until the code has been changed.

There are of course a number of things that can cause a browser to paint out entirely (e.g. corrupt application files), but these things will break access to all sites and are generally rare. Every once in a while one might also experience strange browser voodoo resulting in spinning beach balls, pages that stall, just weird stuff that is hard to reproduce (I've always experienced this in Safari more than Chrome or Firefox, I guess Safari just hates me), but none of these sorts of things result in an error message being served by the website, and are generally temporary and random.

In short, when a site is giving you a specific error message like this, don't waste your time messing around with different browsers, there isn't anything you can do except wait and try again.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 4, 2014, 10:25 PM

besson is right (did I just say that?) - it is a problem in the backend. I haven't heard anything further since last night, so it looks like Monday at the soonest.

However, I finally traced down where we apologise, and I can fix that if people wish. I apologize for how long it's been spelled wrong right wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules