Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Hardware Test on PowerMac G5; the ugly truth?

Hardware Test on PowerMac G5; the ugly truth?
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 04:06 PM

I was having trouble with wake from sleep. Disabled sleep. Was having trouble with screensaver crashing, then I was having a problem with the machine crashing while in the middle of something else such as reading an email, monitor just clicks off and everything froze. Someone please decipher the following error code produced twice by running both the 'quick test' and 'extended test' on my dual 2Ghz G5;

25TH /1/2: CPUBad 7417 AMB

Granted this sounds terminal to me, but can someone tell me exactly what this means? Are there any options short of getting rid of it for parts?

If it means what I think it means, I'm going to have to recover some of the money. What do you think a G5 shell (basically the video card, fans, optical drive, etc...) could get me for cash? I've got to keep the HD due to contents.
ebuddy

No1uncle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I was having trouble with wake from sleep. Disabled sleep. Was having trouble with screensaver crashing, then I was having a problem with the machine crashing while in the middle of something else such as reading an email, monitor just clicks off and everything froze. Someone please decipher the following error code produced twice by running both the 'quick test' and 'extended test' on my dual 2Ghz G5;

25TH /1/2: CPUBad 7417 AMB
Hi

It may be worth looking in the console .app which can be found in the utilities folder and clicking on logs. locate the system.log in the side bar and then search this text for anything to do with system over temp will shut down. or similar.

copy and paste if you find any thing of interest.

below is copied from apple help doc @http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86492
but this is also to do with a version of AHT not reporting correctly
2STH/x/x: xxxx AMB
(The "x" will be a number and "xxxx" will identify a sensor.)
This error code usually means an ambient thermometer sensor has failed.
a sensor may have failed?? or you may have an overtemp situation and the sys is shutting down to save the cpu??
unc

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 21, 2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by No1uncle View Post
Hi

It may be worth looking in the console .app which can be found in the utilities folder and clicking on logs. locate the system.log in the side bar and then search this text for anything to do with system over temp will shut down. or similar.

copy and paste if you find any thing of interest.

below is copied from apple help doc @http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86492
but this is also to do with a version of AHT not reporting correctly a sensor may have failed?? or you may have an overtemp situation and the sys is shutting down to save the cpu??
unc
Excellent info unc. I'll do just that.

Strange thing is, I've already checked the system logs several times after monitor flickered off (by rebooting, sometimes after resetting PMU) and the only odd logs I found were messages about obsolete "bla" and a bunch of HP logs. (I'm not @ my machine now, I've got all the "odd" logs stored in a folder) I've known about troubled HP logs for some time so I basically removed everything HP from my system. I had the problem down to only occurring during screensaver. The screensaver would go for about 7 minutes or so, monitor would click off, system completely froze. I went into Library/preferences and removed the screensaver plist and another folder that contained some plists. (nothing critical, at least I'm 98% certain ) I've zapped pram, repaired permissions, reset -nvram/reset-all in terminal... no luck.

I'll see if I can get on long enough to copy-paste those bad boys. I've not set ssh up over there, but I'll get back to you and thanx again for the response.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules