Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad and midi triggering... please help.

iPad and midi triggering... please help.
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2012, 08:48 AM

Okay, my wife and I recently picked up the new iPad for her which means I now have her 1st generation iPad.

• I have the Roland V-Session TD-10 drumkit and an old Roland TD-7 kit daisy-chained through it. Over time unfortunately, the battery in the old TD-7 module is going out which means it won't hold program information, but it still sends and receives midi data which means I've now been using the old TD-7 pads to trigger software instruments from Logic Pro on my Mac.
  • The problem is my Mac is apprx 15' from my drumkit and I have to get up and physically go over to the Mac to dial up different sounds in Logic for the TD-7 pads/triggers. Granted, there are ways to create note-changes and engage them via triggers, but I'd like to avoid getting that far into the weeds with Logic's user-manual, plus I want the old pads to trigger sounds, not note/instrument change parameters.
  • The drum-sounds/instruments I'm using in Logic for the old TD-7's pads are not super authentic. In other words, I'm generally only dialing up bells, blocks, bongos, or bizarre sounds for adding nuance to songs; the types of sounds I believe I could find and/or use from GarageBand on the 1st gen iPad.
  • How do I do this? In other words, I believe I use a camera-kit for the iPad to connect a midi interface, but then what?

Anyone else using an iPad to trigger midi instruments?
Does it work?
Is latency a bugaboo?
How to make it work?
How do I know so much?!? WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!

Thanks all!
ebuddy

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 19, 2012, 01:34 PM

Okay. Just tried this:

Hooked up my Yammy Motif XS6 to the cheapo USB-MIDI interface.

Plugged that into cheapo third-party camera connection kit clone into iPad 2.

Launched Garageband as I was doodling around on the keyboard.

That was all. It took me a moment to realize that the sound I was hearing was coming from the iPad; it was so instantaneous.

Testing notes:

You have to be in the instrument view, not the track overview.

In the drum kits, the MIDI mapping is pretty much the standard layout, but limited to the twelve or so sounds that are playable from the screen, as well.

Testing it with the clavinet (which is the most absolutely ruthless keyboard instrument ever invented for exposing timing uncertainties), there is some latency on an iPad 2. It's not bad, but I urge you to test it for yourself.
The clavinet itself is pretty awesome, BTW. It responds to aftertouch and slight "lifting" of keys in a damn realistic manner. (The real killer feature all the digital ones are missing, of course, is controlled feedback. )

I'm pretty stunned with how painless and straightforward this was, and how well it all seems to work.

Your mileage may vary.

-ch.

(thanks for prodding me into trying this, BTW.)

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2012, 05:17 PM

No problem man, I'm glad someone else took this up.

Bee-u-tee-ful! Now obviously, my only concern is whether or not the 1st gen iPad can hold its own, but I'm very encouraged that an iPad2 works as well as you've described. I've got little midi interfaces all over the place here so I'm also encouraged an ol' cheapee did the trick for you. I'll be picking up the camera kit and giving this thing a go tomorrow. I'll get back to you on how this all works out.

thanks again brother.
ebuddy

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2012, 04:55 PM

Unfortunately, no go. I picked up an Apple camera-connect kit for the iPad, connected first to an old MOTU FastLane 2-port interface, got error that the USB device is not supported, connected to Tascam US-122 and got the same message. Got lights upon first hooking up, immediately went out, and error on iPad.

I don't think this is going to work unless I'm missing something.
ebuddy

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2012, 11:30 PM

You are.

Both the MotU and the Tascam are not standard-compliant interfaces. Both require the installation of device-specific drivers.

Use a cheap, generic interface (or rather, one that you know won't require a driver). The Presonus stuff, for example, generally doesn't.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2012, 02:49 AM

Alright then, that leaves me with the Midisport 4x4 which would also not work. I shall pursue a more generic interface and we'll go from there. BLAST! I really thought the little FastLane was going to be it. The local Apple Store has an iRig that would also allow me to keep the iPad powered. I may go this route.

Thanks for your feedback Mr. Harlot and I will keep this thread posted with my progress.
ebuddy

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 03:13 AM

Yep. The MIDIsport also requires this asinine firmware loader every time it's powered up. It was one of the reasons I no longer buy M-Audio products.

Something like this should theoretically work fine:

http://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimate/

Forum Links
Forum Rules