Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > need help on what to charge for design work

need help on what to charge for design work
nycdunz
Senior User
Mar 5, 2007, 04:49 PM

I have a friend who asked me to help him take a load off by doing some work for him. The problem is, I do not know what to charge, and what the best way to come about coming up with a final price for my services. Is there a good way to do this? Do I look to see what other people charge online or do you guys have any tips or advice on what the best way to do this. I don't want to be cheating him, or think that my prices are outrageous that he thinks i'm insane, but a good price for me so that I'm not underpaid and to where he doesn't think i'm overcharging.

it was a few logo designs, 3 to be exact, but he wanted 2 variations for each so they can pick from. and then after that I had to make a business card and letterhead for each. Just incase you guys are wondering what I did or designed. Now the problem is, to give him a final price for what I've done.

digitalscrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2007, 08:06 PM

How many hours did it take you to do the work? Pick an hourly rate that you think is fair (to you) and charge him for the actual amount of time that you used to work on the deliverables.

I no longer do anything at "package pricing" anymore - I strictly bill for my time.

If you did not keep an accurate account of your time, then that changes things quite a bit. I use Billings2 to track my time and create invoices directly from it.

Now, as to what you are going to charge on a per hour basis, that all depends on what you think your time is worth.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 5, 2007, 10:08 PM

Something doesn't seem right.

I would think someone who claims to have as much experience as you claim to have would have no problem in this area.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 6, 2007, 04:54 AM

i have the experience to design and be creative, but i never really done another side jobs, or freelancing work much. I'm just curious to how people charge for their design services, as a set price or hourly rate. Cause I've heard of both sides. Just wanted to get everyone else's opinion on here, that's all.

digitalscrap I was thinking of doing the hourly thing as well... sounds fair to me. Is billings2 an os x app to keep tabs of your time spent on a project? Is that the best one their is?

Thanks for the input!

digitalscrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2007, 08:33 AM

Yes, Billings2 is an OSX app that makes it really easy to keep track of time spent working on a project (or part of a particular project). It also generates invoices for you based upon the time you work and the parameters you set. It's really easy to use and works really well. I can't say if it is "the best", but it is what I use and and I find it very helpful.

Here's the website if you'd like to read more about it - Billings 2: Time tracking and invoicing for Mac OS X

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 6, 2007, 01:00 PM

digitalscrap I just downloaded a trial and wow, this is what i've been looking for all these years! It's a joy to work with and very userfriendly, you can even make your own invoice templates too! Thanks so much for telling me about this app. This really takes the question work on what to charge.

A question though. Do you include taxes in your final price? Not sure what that would be used for or when and when not to use it.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
A question though. Do you include taxes in your final price? Not sure what that would be used for or when and when not to use it.
Assuming you mean sales tax, this depends on your state. You can probably get a copy of your state sales tax guide online, or just ask an accountant.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 6, 2007, 02:15 PM

Macola, yes sales tax is what I meant. I thought this was optional and was up to you to decide if you wanted to include tax or not in your final price.

for those of you who do work on the side for your clients, do you charge them sales tax or no? And also if you do freelance work on the side with your fulltime job are you required to get a business license or no?
( Last edited by nycdunz; Mar 7, 2007 at 02:29 AM. )

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2007, 11:50 AM

it's a really good idea to agree on a price/hourly rate before doing the work. If this wasn't a friend of yours you could have been burned.

I've never bothered with sales tax, but then freelance isn't my fulltime gig.

digitalscrap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by nycdunz View Post
Macola, yes sales tax is what I meant. I thought this was optional and was up to you to decide if you wanted to include tax or not in your final price.

for those of you who do work on the side for your clients, do you charge them sales tax or no? And also if you do freelance work on the side with your fulltime job are you required to get a business license or no?
Generally, services aren't subject to sales tax, but physical deliverables very well may be, even if you are only charging them for your services. As Macola stated, it is definitely best for you to check you state's tax codes - you don't want to get into any trouble.

Glad to hear you like Billings2!

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 12:33 PM

Do yourself a big favor and DO NOT open a real can worms. If you do not have a state sales tax number, DO NOT GET ONE. Once in your state's tax system, you will be required to monthly file your billing AND pay sales tax on all taxable INVOICES, even if you have not been paid. Most states recognize that "creative or marketing consulting" is not subject to sales tax.

Save yourself from a big headache and "consult"

W2

Forum Links
Forum Rules