Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Another interesting article from wired about the iPod

Another interesting article from wired about the iPod
Aiglos
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 10:51 AM

The interesting part is in page 2. I for one would welcome a bluetooth iPod with rendezvouz enabled. That would be a major feature i thnk a lot of people would be into. Just imagine a huge net of interconnected iPods in a city block, there would almost be no shortage of music.

I'd upgrade if that came to fruition.

tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 11:12 AM

Wow, that is interesting. It would be like having a mobile carracho, but limited by geography. If the RIAA wanted to snoop they would have to go out in the field, or plant recievers of some sort.

It brings up a huge amount of possible new functions. Reading the article I imagined being in a subway car listening to my iPod and scrolling through a list of locally sharing iPods. Finding one with a name that perks my interest (trying all the while to connect sever names to people on the car) and when I click to enter it's root file I hear the owners custom made intro, something like a rough clip of his favorite song with a voice-mail type message over it. Perhaps it discourages 'stealing' pointing out it is now easy to reference and buy streamed iPod songs you like on the iTMS. As I wander through his tunes I think he might like some of mine, so I message him with iChatPod and link a few of my favorite tracks.

Oh, then MobileMatch.com picks up a connected female nearby with complimentary statistics and asks me if I'd like to spend $.99 to message her. Screw that, I can figure out who she is.... Hmmm, the blond twirling her hair, or maybe...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Nov 21, 2003, 11:35 AM

interesting way to pick up chicks...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Aiglos  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
interesting way to pick up chicks...
LOL, I was just thinking the same thing. A lot better than the Seinfeld approach by feeling someone's material and commenting on it.

How come no hot chick ever jacked into my iPod. Is it cause I'm a first generation iPod? Is it my puny 5 GB?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2003, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by tracheopterix:
Wow, that is interesting. It would be like having a mobile carracho, but limited by geography. If the RIAA wanted to snoop they would have to go out in the field, or plant recievers of some sort.
There'd be no way they'd allow you to download them. They already don't officially let you copy your songs off it. It'd be going against that to let just anyone grab songs from you. It have to be sharing like iTunes currently does. In which case, it's almost not worth it 'cause you never know when your current song host is going to get off the bus, walk out of the restaurant, or get off at the next exit.

Besides, this would be a major battery drain. Is it fair to use someone else's battery power for your own listening pleasure? Even if they aren't listening, what if they leave sharing on and it's in their backpack? I listen from them for a couple hours and he goes to listen and his battery is dead. Oops!

Just doesn't seem practical to me, I guess. Cool, but not practical.

tracheopterix
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
There'd be no way they'd allow you to download them. They already don't officially let you copy your songs off it. It'd be going against that to let just anyone grab songs from you. It have to be sharing like iTunes currently does. In which case, it's almost not worth it 'cause you never know when your current song host is going to get off the bus, walk out of the restaurant, or get off at the next exit.
I'd guess there would be some 3rd party apps out pretty quick to allow downloading. I wonder - considering what you bring up about local transience - how quickly one could stream a song via bluetooth. Apple's iTunes sharing creates as large a buffer as possible right?

Besides, this would be a major battery drain. Is it fair to use someone else's battery power for your own listening pleasure? Even if they aren't listening, what if they leave sharing on and it's in their backpack? I listen from them for a couple hours and he goes to listen and his battery is dead. Oops!

Just doesn't seem practical to me, I guess. Cool, but not practical.
That I think is the biggest concern, you're right. But it is a concern for all mobile devices and not limited to this case. Of course the iPod owner would have the ability to turn off sharing, so it would be fair to use their battery, it's their choice. Leaving it on in your backpack will drain its battery regardless of who uses it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules