Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Faster HD

Faster HD
treebark7182
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 07:39 AM

On my powermac madd g4 i have 2 hard drlves. I have the stock 80 gb and i have a 200 gb 7200 rpm 8mb cache hd. Would running my os off of the newer hd increase performance significantly???? Is there any way i can copy things over successfully. Ive moved my itunes library before and ive had to show itunes where 1/3 of the songs went.

treebark7182  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2004, 07:40 AM

and thats a powermac MDD just a typo and no im not stupid

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2004, 12:42 PM

Just for future reference, you can always go back and edit your post.

But on to the topic at hand... yes, installing and booting from your newer hard drive with the 8 MB buffer is probably a good idea. The hard drive your MDD came with is 7200 RPM, but it probably only has a 2 MB buffer. Maybe it won't make a huge difference, but every little bit helps.

Anyway, I would suggest connecting the 200 GB hard drive to the main ATA/100 bus. Connect your older 80 GB to the secondary ATA/66 bus. If both hard drives are connected to the same ATA cable, they will run much more slowly. When both hard drives are installed, I'd say install OS X onto the 200 GB drive, then just drag stuff over to the 200 GB hard drive. Once you've moved everything you might want, you can erase the 80 GB. If you don't erase it, there will be a lot of wasted space since OS X would still be installed on it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2004, 01:27 PM

Hi!

You can copy a working system to the new drive with CarbonCopyCloner. I moved my system to a 160GB drive that way and it worked flawlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules