Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Next iBook Update?

Next iBook Update?
AleroLeanne
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2004, 12:30 PM

Okay, I want to buy a 12" iBook...(I've been saving for a while and I finally have my moolah together), but the MacRumors.com board is seriously in the red showing that the iBook is past it's average life cycle and is due for an update.

However, there haven't been any rumors at all. What do you guys all think? Should I just go ahead and buy now? When do you think the next update will be?

(man, I hate these decisions...)

233mhz iMac • 1.2ghz iBook G4 • 4gig Pink iPod mini "sweet pea"

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2004, 01:00 PM

If you can wait, then wait. If you need it now, or really really really really really really want it now, then get it now. I'd wait, seeing how maybe the next GPU used might support corelimage.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

pat++
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 04:41 PM

we'll probably see a minor update in october/november... if you can wait, wait. if you can't wait, don't.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2004, 10:51 PM

probably won't be that big of an update. maybe 1.2-1.33ghz G4 and probably a Tiger compatible Video Card.
iamwhor3hay

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 09:22 AM

A Tiger compatible video card? If I purchased the current 12" iBook right now, would I be able to run Tiger okay next year with what the 'book has now?

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by AleroLeanne:
A Tiger compatible video card? If I purchased the current 12" iBook right now, would I be able to run Tiger okay next year with what the 'book has now?
You'll be able to run Tiger but not take advantage of the Core Image technology, whatever that means. Worst case: I figure there'll be applications in the future that rely in Core Image and you (and I on my TiBook) won't be able to run those specifically (video processing or something high-end like that).

But maybe not (for example, there aren't any applications that rely on Quartz Extreme, the last GPU-related requirement, are there?).

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; Sep 28, 2004 at 09:50 AM. )

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 09:46 AM

And you actually will be able to run CoreImage, but only part of the graphical demands will be handled by the graphics card. With a fully supported graphics card, all of CoreImage will be offloaded to the graphics card.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Voch
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 09:51 AM

To put it simply, it's new software technology to make you salivate over the new hardware.

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 28, 2004, 12:16 PM

So one would assume that all of the notebook lines need to be updated before Tiger is released?

Hmm...sounds crappy. I'm very impatient so I'll probably just buy. Apple's always updating...I guess it's just kinda hard to avoid. I'll have to suffer with lesser technology!

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2004, 10:18 PM

So one would assume that all of the notebook lines need to be updated before Tiger is released?

Hmm...sounds crappy. I'm very impatient so I'll probably just buy. Apple's always updating...I guess it's just kinda hard to avoid. I'll have to suffer with lesser technology!
the Powerbook already has Core Image compatible video cards
iamwhor3hay

RadarBob2
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 01:40 PM

You'll be able to run Tiger but not take advantage of the Core Image technology, whatever that means.
Seems to be a thing of interest to developers, not end users. As I understand it.... different video cards do the same things but in different ways - different computer code to write for different video cards. Core image "sits between" the video card and the programmer. Thus the programmer can write the code the same, but core image coverts it as needed for specific video cards. Bottom line, faster, easier code development.
bb iBook 300MHz / 278MB / 40GB / OS 10.2.8 / OS 9.2
iBook 700MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
iBook 900MHz / 640MB / 40GB / OS 10.3.9
PowerPC 604 / 72MB / 3GB / OS 7.5.5

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 05:04 AM

AleroLeanne,

Unless you have an immediate need for an iBook, I suggest you wait. I'm in a similar situation, but after I've waited so long (my last 'book was a PowerBook 1400!), I'd rather wait a little longer and get the latest, rather than see a newer and better iBook released in a few weeks or a month's time for equal or less than I paid for the prior version.

Even a minor upgrade will be worth waiting a little while, I think. And, nobody knows for certain what the scope of the update will be. Perhaps newly designed iBooks are next!

In any case, my opinion is that anyone who's in the market for an iBook, without an immediate need for one, should wait and see what's to come, apparently rather shortly.

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2004, 09:27 AM

I'm trying to wait. It's so hard to do but I don't have an immediate need for the computer...I can live a little while without it I guess. My sister has my main computer off at college, so I'm at home with my old bondi iMac, but with it I can light-surf, check my email and do my online banking.

I'll probably be able to hold out for another week or two but a month seems like a long time! I'm just so anxious to get back on a Mac again after using a horrid windoze machine for so long. *sigh*

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 07:03 PM

I'm trying to wait. It's so hard to do but I don't have an immediate need for the computer...I can live a little while without it I guess. My sister has my main computer off at college, so I'm at home with my old bondi iMac, but with it I can light-surf, check my email and do my online banking.

I'll probably be able to hold out for another week or two but a month seems like a long time! I'm just so anxious to get back on a Mac again after using a horrid windoze machine for so long. *sigh*
Patience, patience! I think it'll pay off!-- Besides, and I'll quote:

"You may find that having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. This is not logical, but it is often true."-- Spock

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2004, 09:23 AM

*haha* I've actually had that thought cross my mind, and 'Spock' is probably right! However, waiting for an iBook release is just like waiting for Christmas when you're a kid!

-Q-
Oct 1, 2004, 10:13 AM

With it now officially October, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple updated them in the next few weeks for X-mas selling. As you say you don't need it right away, you may want to wait and see.

Gunner1954
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
You'll be able to run Tiger but not take advantage of the Core Image technology, whatever that means. Worst case: I figure there'll be applications in the future that rely in Core Image and you (and I on my TiBook) won't be able to run those specifically (video processing or something high-end like that).

But maybe not (for example, there aren't any applications that rely on Quartz Extreme, the last GPU-related requirement, are there?).

Voch

Actually, the rotating cube effect in Expose uses Quartz Extreme. My iMac 333 doesn't present the cube effect while my iBook 700 does.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 2, 2004, 08:48 AM

wait?
no.
need it.
buy it.
I have an iBook 1ghz + 1.25 gb RAM.
Runs fine.
HD slow but I have a BIG+fast FW on side..
wait for new product + 3 months because Apple is always late... that goes 2005!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2004, 11:52 AM

The next iBook low end will be a 1.2 Ghz G4, I almost promise, the low end always jumps to the high end. That said you probably wouldn't notice the difference. But a better graphics card would be good.

That said if you're in school buy it, if you're not, wait till Nov 15th I believe that was about when they were updated last time. This will be a minor upgrade becasue the G4 was just introed a year ago.

lord vader
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2004, 01:06 AM

I am in the same situation. the only reson i might wait is for a better video card. i want to play galactic conquest. Is there any solid proof that they are going to upgrade the ibook line? when?

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 01:31 AM

I am getting some grant money back from school (finally!) and will be jumping into an iBook. I would really appreciate the updated model. I should have money this week. but i may hold off if this is really close to happening.

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 09:28 AM

I'm still patiently waiting! I can't believe I've made it to October, but I'm willing to wait. Hopefully the new updates do come soon. I really would like to see a video card update.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 10:15 AM

The only reason I will wait is if they up the 32MB video card into a 64MB (even if it's still an ATI 9200). The boost of power might be useful but I just don't want to miss out on what is a virtual upgrade.

Abit667
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 10:38 AM

The 9200 will have to be replaced with something else to support CoreImage. CoreImage uses pixelshaders for all its junk, so it will have to be a card with pixelshader support. My guess is they will stick a crappy 5200fx in which is hardly any better then the 9200 that's in here already, and it's pixel shader support is very very slow but at least it has it.

I don't see them putting anything better in, the 12" pb has a 5200 as well.

I think the powerbooks will get upgraded before the ibooks as well..it just seems more fitting.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 10:42 AM

The last update for both powerbook and ibook were at the same time (april 15th?). I don't mind if it has the crappy 5200fx card in it. I won't be doing any kind of gaming or video editing. I just want a card with more RAM in case if I ever want to do small gaming.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 12:06 PM

Come on guys, just hold on a little longer! I bet October will see some news of the soon to be update and very probably the update itself. I don't think this will be a major update either (though hopefully I'm wrong), but a minor speed bump and slightly upgraded tech specs would be a welcome update.

I always think that, as far as buying a new Mac goes, its always best to get the latest and greatest you can, if you plan on using it for a long time after. I can't buy a Mac every year, so every time I do buy its a major event, and I count on it still being useful to me years later. And even a minor spec update can mean the difference between being able to use this feature or that, or running such and such program in the future.
( Last edited by Gamoe; Oct 5, 2004 at 12:22 PM. )

medienhexer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 05:16 AM

yes

that´s exactly my situation. I´ve even considered saving up for a 12" PB in order to get a little more performance. I tried Pro Tools LE on my friend´s iBook @800MHz with I think it was 768 MB Ram.
Unfortunately, it hadn´t enough power to run a simple mixdown with some real time Plugg ins. So 1,2 GHz would be a very nice thing to do.
that could be the %´s I really need to use the iBook not only for surfing/writing/programming/putting it in sleep mode just to see it "breathe"

ah, by the way, a little off topic: does the iBook lack any software development tools? if so, I´ll have to buy a PB anyway...
I mean, since I´m beginner in JAVA, i should get along with Xcode, but who knows? maybe that´s just a start...

tnx
please proof me wrong

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2004, 01:39 AM

Medienhexer, I looked at all the specs on Apple's iBook and PowerBook pages, and according to those, the PowerBook has:

FileMaker Pro Trial, Acrobat Reader, Art Directors Toolkit, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, Zinio Reader and Developer Tools.

While the iBook has:

Quicken 2004 for Mac, Sound Studio, Zinio Reader, World Book 2004 Edition, AppleWorks, Microsoft Internet Explorer (ugh..why?), Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4 and Deimos Rising.

All the other software is the same. However it shouldn't be difficult to obtain a copy of developer's tools from Apple. I believe it's a free download if you're an ADC member (even the free type). It also comes included with the retail version of Mac OS X.

medienhexer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 02:28 PM

ah thanks

so I´ll have to become member then. Well, I was thinking about that anyway...

med.
please proof me wrong

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2004, 05:23 PM

As posted in another thread, it's possible that the next update could be October 19th based on previous trends (the iBook was updated April 19th, and before they were updated April 22nd and updated again October 22nd). Something to that effect, so maybe we'll see an update this month?? I'm hoping anyways.

*fingers are crossed*

...I can't wait much longer!

medienhexer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 10:06 AM

oh yes

I followed this discussion. And I´d surely love a moderate tweaking as I think for example, the 12" iBook WITHOUT the airport extreme card built-in, is somehow overpriced. And a 1,2 GHz G4 would perfectly fit into my plans for that beauty.

But apples are overpriced in europe anyways. I mean, the basic iBook is 1179 Euro in the german apple store. Whereas it is $1099 in the u.s...
so, divided by today´s Dollar course, it´s about 850 Euro.
Man, I´d sure LOVE to buy even the "old" iBook for as much as 850 Euros. And I´d add the expensive apple care and perhaps even the superdrive. And be still better off than with a Centrino Notebook.

I mean, I wouldn´t hesitate a second. Apple, hear me, you can have all of my money, just give me u.s. prices. I´d even take 1GB RAM!
But if someone cares for what I´d expect from the next iBook:

- 512 MB Ram built in (DDR would be nice, as it slowly becomes cheaper than SDR...)
- 1,2 GHz G4
- still that amazing running time
- more than just 2 speed steps, which COULD help reduce power consumption
- superdrive as standard (can´t be THAT expensive these days, as those ones have more or less become a mass market...)
- ADAT I/O for recording (I thought THAT was the reason why they bought Emagic, to get the know-how)
- HD could be a little bigger and maybe @5,400...
- Power supply could be a little bit cooler, as I got almost burnt by my friends´supply. And it makes me quite nervous if something´s heating up so much.

but I don´t think that´s realistic. Because apple as a fully integrated development unit MUST be more expensive than all of these companies who just buy spare parts, screw them together and put some OS in a nice box. I´m afraid, the next iBook won´t be even close to the 1179 Euros in german store, as soon as major upgrades will happen. They´ll always set their prices close to the brands which guarantee a comparable quality, namely Sony, maybe Dell and let´s say business line of toshiba.

I mean, you can buy an averatech Centrino 1,5 with 512 MB DDR-Ram, 80 GB HD, DVD+r and wireless LAN in a 12" housing for the exact same price as the iBook. But the very moment apple decides to integrate for example the airport extreme card and the superdrive, let´s say they DO push up to 1,2GHz, it will raise the price to 1,500 Euro, I´m afraid.

So what would be an ergument to wait? as far as I can read out of the posts, it´s all about the graFX card, which HAS to be compatible to the 3d effects on the desktop. well, I sure love the nice animations, but I´ll have to turn them off anyway as soon as I want to do time critical applications like audio recording, etc.

apart from that: I love the OS, the compatibility (didn´t ask for a driver, no matter which digital Camera I would plugg in, automaticly configured itself for use in LAN and for going online).
The iBook itself is a beauty. A fashion object of itself. I´d never go out without it again (well maybe at those rare occasions when it rains or I´m planning to go swimming or something...), whereas I´d NEVER go out with one of those Centrinos without a waterproof carrying bag and a clean table(ever thought about cleaning one of them? with all those venting holes and CPU fans directed to the ground...).

So my decision is already clear, I´ll bite the apple but having the latest release of MacOSX would be a damn nice thing.
( Last edited by medienhexer; Oct 8, 2004 at 10:13 AM. )
please proof me wrong

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by medienhexer:
I mean, I wouldn´t hesitate a second. Apple, hear me, you can have all of my money, just give me u.s. prices.
I understand your gripe, but Apple will never give you US prices.

In Germany you have a VAT of >15% (EU). US prices however are normally quoted w/o any sales tax. So, that gets your 850 Euros up to about 1000 Euros. And then Apple always will add some surplus to account for any exchange rate fluctuation. Of course, that's nowhere near the 1179 Euros they are asking for, but it shows that the difference is not quite as big as it might seem at first.

In Switzerland it's usually US price + 7% Swiss VAT + 20% Apple surplus. These 20% seem consistent with your numbers for Germany. It sucks, I know, but I guess it will always be that way.
•

medienhexer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 11:51 AM

that´s right of course.
but in the end...

they WILL have all my money as soon as I can sit here at home and surf with sweating fingers on my newest acomplishment

maybe buttler´s gloves would be appropriate?

medienhexer
please proof me wrong

Kissargi
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2004, 11:17 AM

well i should be buying a 12" ibook next week, so my prediction is for upgrades to the ibook line in about 10 days time

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Oct 12, 2004, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Kissargi:
well i should be buying a 12" ibook next week, so my prediction is for upgrades to the ibook line in about 10 days time
Tell me about it: back then I must have gotten one of the last clamshell ibooks, the white ones were launched three weeks after I ordered mine

When does/did the cram & jam promo end? Maybe there is some connection between that end date and the upcoming update for ibooks and/or ipods? Just my thoughts...
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2004, 01:52 PM

I thought that too, but I think Cram & Jam ended September 25th. My guess and hope is for next Tuesday...1 week from today. Man, if it isn't I don't know how I'll hold out any longer.

However, another good rumor is that Panther will possibly be released in the next 30 days. It's probably not likely but would complement an iBook update perfectly. Panther would demand a new iBook update, right, because of the current video card's incompatibility with Core Imaging?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 02:07 PM

you have to hold out. it will be great if you can get the newest thing right away that's the best.

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
Oct 12, 2004, 03:08 PM

I thought that too, but I think Cram & Jam ended September 25th. My guess and hope is for next Tuesday...1 week from today. Man, if it isn't I don't know how I'll hold out any longer.
I just checked, Cram & Jam is not advertised anymore in the Austrian Webstore, but is running until Nov 2nd over here. So 3 more weeks of possible updates that would get me a brand-new ibook/ipod combo.

However, another good rumor is that Panther will possibly be released in the next 30 days. It's probably not likely but would complement an iBook update perfectly. Panther would demand a new iBook update, right, because of the current video card's incompatibility with Core Imaging?
I'd say it's rather Tiger that's due for release (cats all over the place...) and comes with CoreImage an would profit from another GPU, but probably not within that short time horizon, after all the rumors floating around. Panther 10.3.6 is due pretty soon though, that's right.

Let's hope for the best.
But as with all the (Apple) updates: Unless you have a SURE release date, it's probably better to buy now and enjoy the product instead of waiting and waiting and waiting and finally getting the product, just to discover afterwards that the update was only a couple of days away then.
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 05:29 AM

So Tuesday anyone? Will it come to pass or not?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 11:31 AM

probably not.

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 12:05 PM

I don't usually listen to the rumours, sometimes they're right.
I expect Apple to update the iBook line in time for Christmas (they have updated iBooks in October or November every year since 2001), so tomorrow is a big possibility.
I'm happy with my G3 800 and am saving up for a G5, so it's not a big concern.

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 12:34 PM

I certainly hope Tuesday is the day...it's nice to finally see some rumors flying around, regardless. I'll be sooooo happy if the update is tomorrow!!

Here's keeping my fingers crossed!!!

www32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 01:42 PM

UPGRADED
are you sleeping?
lol

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 01:47 PM

Granted, it's only a minor upgrade, but at least you get "more bang for your buck" now. So, that's your cue, AleroLeanne (and everyone else who wants an iBook). You can safely go ahead and buy now!-- (unless that is, you wanna wait for the next BIG update 6 months or less down the road.... )

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 02:46 PM

*haha* No more waiting for me! I will be ordering my new iBook tomorrow night after work. I'm so darn excited!!! YIPEE!!!!!!

www32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2004, 04:07 PM

6 months for a very good upgrade?
um, it's negociable
i can wait...

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 06:10 PM

its being upgraded just as fast as the powermac and the other systems so what's the harm sometimes even faster than the other systems but this does show that both powerlines are in for an update soon.

supersilent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2004, 01:28 AM

just wanted to thank you for the great prediction. i held out on the purchase long enough to get a shiny new 12" ibook.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by www32:
6 months for a very good upgrade?
um, it's negociable
i can wait...
ye have great patience.

AleroLeanne  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by supersilent:
just wanted to thank you for the great prediction. i held out on the purchase long enough to get a shiny new 12" ibook.
You're very welcome...I was glad my 'guess' was right! I picked up the 12" too. Hopefully it'll arrive soon. I can't wait! Enjoy your new machine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules