Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bought Used (new) PB- Warranty ??

Bought Used (new) PB- Warranty ??
mhawker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2004, 04:18 PM

Hi all,

Long time Mac user (from the SE days), first post here. I just bought a NIB 15" PB from a private party (on PB Central). It came with a 3 yr applecare package.

Since this was purchased from a private party, will I have any issues with warranty repairs? As far as I know, the PB was never registered with Apple, so I will be the first registered owner, but I will not be able to provide a receipt should I need warranty service.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

PS- Anything else you'd like to add about this machine (1.25ghz, superdrive, etc).. other than battery life... is always welcome.

flanders
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2004, 04:21 PM

others can correct me if i'm wrong, but i think if it's already signed up for applecare you should be fine. if the applecare is new as well and never associated with that machine, then I think as long as it's build date is less than a year you should be fine registering applecare for it.

oh--and congrats on the new Al 15!

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 6, 2004, 10:13 PM

I just experienced something similar.

If the Apple Care plan is/was not registered within the first year of Powerbook ownership, you'll need a receipt for the AC plan, showing that it was purchased within one year of the Powerbook build date.

If it's under a year old, get that puppy enrolled ASAP.

Congrats
"-Dodge This"

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2004, 10:30 PM

You should be sure to get a very official looking bill of sale from the original owner. Whenever you setup OS X, the laptop registers with Apple. Basically, you should call up applecare (you're within the first year, right?) and ask whether the laptop was ever registered for applecare. If it hasn't and if you've got the applecare box, then just go ahead and register it.

mhawker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2004, 02:26 PM

Thanks, all.

I registered the computer on-line for both the regular warranty and Applecare. The applecare warranty was never opened so I assumed it had never been registered.

In both cases, it was mentioned in the literature that I should "keep the receipt in case of a repair". Who knows if I'll need it, but I know the last time we brought a G5 in for service (warranty), we needed the receipt.

Since I don't have a receipt, we'll see what happens if I ever have to take it in. I'm sure it's just a formality. Or at least something that can be worked around if need be.

Thanks again and happy Mac'ing.

PS- I hooked up an Airport Extreme Base Station for "sofa surfing". It only took a little work to figure out how to connect, and is working fine.

Mike

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2004, 05:27 PM

i've had about 7 repairs on 2 different powerbooks, and i've never needed a reciept.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 01:04 PM

A receipt is only needed if the AC plan was never registered and you are beyond the one year "registration period".

Once the AC is registered, all Apple needs is the machine's serial number.

Congrats and good luck
"-Dodge This"

Forum Links
Forum Rules