Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" Albook palmrest corrosion

15" Albook palmrest corrosion
EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 01:34 PM

the right palmrest of my 15" albook is starting to corrode. while it isn't that obvious yet, i would like to stop the problem before it gets to be terrible. has anyone had success getting apple to replace the palmrest casing? i briefly asked an apple genius at the applestore, and he said some nonsense about acidic skin ph. i've been using anodized aluminum objects for years and years, and i've never noticed corrosion, even with such things as handguns with aluminum frames, which tend to stay in your hand and get sweated on a lot. is apple just using a substandard anodizing process? also, does anyone know of a good US source for the japanese Airtrack fiber Pad or wrist rug? if not, i guess i'll just cut some contact paper to cover the wrist rest .
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

f1000
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 01:42 PM

What does the corrosion look like?

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 02:53 PM

I usually wipe down the palmrest after I use it with water and a microfiber clotch I carry around with me. I dont think it'll stop the corrosion but It should slow the process down quite a bit.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 03:23 PM

i just started to get the corrosion.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

mhawker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2004, 03:25 PM

I don't see, but have worried about, that happening. If you could get your hands on some of that static plastic sheeting. You know, the kind they use to protect LCD's on new phones etc. I wonder if it would cling to the case?

On a related topic, what about chips/ scratches from watches. Any problem with that?

rag on a muffin
Senior User
May 3, 2004, 03:32 PM

i cant believe this is happening. they should have seen this coming.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

EdipisReks  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2004, 07:35 PM

chips and scratches have been at a minimum. the corrsion basically looks like lines of little tiny black dots. most people don't notice it until i point it out, or assume that it is dirt, but i have seen some that are terrible. i think i'm just going to cut some contact paper, and not worry about it.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

f1000
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 09:49 PM

Aluminum oxide is transparent (white when powdered), so the black dots are most likely pits. Warm palmrests unfortunately invite salty sweat. My advice is to waterproof your palmrests.

Try one of the following:

Wax
Vinyl
WriteRights

Palm screen protectors might be the nicest solution: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall.../screenpr.html

jmelrose
Forum Regular
May 3, 2004, 10:42 PM

May I suggest:

http://www.vixinc.com/tiarmor/

Nice company, good guys. I just got it and I'm pretty sure I messed up putting it on (I'd never laid contact paper before.) but it protects the wrist/palm area around the trackpad quite nicely. They also sell it to protect the topcase, but not sure I'd want that. Anyway, from the 1 transaction I've done with them they seem quite legit and offer a solution to this problem which seems as good as any other I've seen on here.

The TiArmor is some 3M product which has an adhesive which seems rather strong, but peels off the aluminum without leaving any residue, as best as I can tell after several hours. Might be a different story in several months, don't know. The folks at Vix pre-cut it to match the corners of the 'book and so it fills up as much space as possible on the wrist rest without going over the edges (or the trackpad).

Check it out.
jmelrose
“A man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.” -Mark Twain

Current rig: 15" MBP i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM 1TB Flash Drive

f1000
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 11:22 PM

From Epinions.com:

Cheap Screen Protector
Aug_06_'01 (Updated Jan_09_'02)

The Bottom Line Don't shell out $25 for a PDA screen protector when a cheap (often free) sheet of vinyl will do.

I was appalled to see PDA screen protectors being sold for $25.00. All I wanted was a piece of plastic to cover my PDA's screen, and these companies wanted me to shell out this kind of money! Well, I found a really cheap alternative that works really well - vinyl sheets! This is the same stuff that manufacturers use to create those temporary, easy-to-remove labels that you find stuck to new electronic equipment.

Clear vinyl sheets are crystal clear, and won't distort or haze your PDA's screen. The material has a really smooth surface over which the stylus glides. Tapping the surface has a nice, "soft" feel to it. Vinyl has a natural "stickiness" that will adhere lightly to your screen without leaving any residue or damaging the surface. It's really tough, and will stand up to many months of abuse. Finally, the material does not interfere with the sensing of the finger or stylus on the touch screen. It is also thin enough that you can still fit a REX PDA into a PCMCIA slot without a problem.

This stuff is really cheap. Often you get clear vinyl sheeting free in the packaging of another product. I got my first sheet from inside of a wallet package. You can also purchase it in relatively large sheets in the form of table cloth covers, etc. (see the update below for a good source). If you're unsure if you have a piece of vinyl or not, here's how to tell: window-clear (you can look through it), very smooth, somewhat soft and tacky feel, very flexible, will stick to smooth surfaces, feels "tough" or "thick" compared to other types of plastic or cellophane packaging.

You will have to cut it to size to fit your PDA's screen, so that it fits loosely within the bezel. Make sure it's not too big, or it won't stick well. A fraction of a millimeter too big is not good, even if it seems to fit into the screen area, but a little smaller is ok, as long as the edges are beyond where you will use your stylus. I recommend using an Exacto knife and a metal ruler on a cutting pad for this. Never cut it on the PDA itself (duh). If you have enough left over, store the remainder in an airtight zipper-bag to keep it "fresh".

Before placing your trimmed sheet onto your PDA, make sure both the screen and the vinyl sheet are perfectly clean. Any little speck of dust will create a little air pocket. You can't be too picky, however, as this can be hard to achieve. After setting the sheet onto the screen, it usually takes about a week for it to "settle in" and fully adhere to the screen. Don't let that stop you from using your PDA immediately -- it will stay put, and tapping it with your stylus helps it to adhere.

I have a little REX 6000 PDA that I always have on me in my front pants pocket. Its touchscreen was starting to show wear, and I needed something to protect it. The vinyl sheet has been on the screen for months, and is working perfectly. It's resisting the abuse and staying clear and smooth. I also love the feel of my stylus on the soft, smooth surface. No more cringing when a speck of dust crunches between the stylus and the sensitive screen ((shiver)) -- this just doesn't happen anymore. I wouldn't do without it.

Update: Wal-Mart sells bulk, "medium weight" clear vinyl sheeting for $0.87 a yard from a 54" roll in the crafts section. (Price may vary in your area.) This means you can get a 54"x36" sheet of clear vinyl for 87 cents. That's an awful lot of screen protector for an insanely cheap price. Make sure to seal the excess in a zipper bag to keep it "fresh".

I just replaced my first sheet with the Wal-Mart stuff after a few months of heavy use and wear from being in my front pants pocket (this is a REX, after all.) The old sheet is quite beat up. I'm glad that the sheet took this abuse, and not my PDA screen! The new material sticks to everything (ruler and work surface), making precise cutting a little difficult, yet it still takes a little time to settle onto the PDA screen. It works great!

Update: How to make it stick to your screen. Dip your PDA's stylus tip into some water, and touch it to the center of your screen to deposit a tiny drop of water. Place the vinyl sheet onto your screen and spread it gently with your fingers. The water will spread out and help the vinyl stick, instantly. As the water evaporates, it will pull the vinyl tightly against the screen. Don't worry if the liquid doesn't spread all the way, this is just to get the adhesion process started.

Be careful - you don't want to use too much water, as it will spread to the edges of your screen and get underneath the bezel. A drop off of the tip of your stylus seems to be a very safe amount. Distilled water is best, because it is pure and non-conductive. Bottled or filtered water is good. Don't use hard tap water, as it can leave a deposit on your screen. The thin water film won't interfere with using the touch screen and it will quickly evaporate.

http://www.epinions.com/content_1950392452

tomorrow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 03:01 AM

I just started getting some pitting. Went to Wal-Mart for some clear vinyl, but the stuff they had would not stick to the aluminum.

So instead I picked up a pack of clear lamination sheets in the office supply department, cut two pieces of 4" x 3 3/8" with a rounded corner each, and carefully stuck them to my palmrest.

Looks pretty good, no bubbles if you start at a corner and smoothe diagonally towards the other corner as you unpeel, and it covers everything left and right of the trackpad. Should henceforth prevent further corrosion. If I ever need to peel it off, will use some safe cleaner to wipe off any residue.

Total cost: $4.00 with plenty more sheets leftover for screwup applications.

Hope this helps anybody out there looking to protect their palm rests.

mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2006, 01:27 PM

It's not $4, but I just bought an invisibleshield for my ipod. (www.theinvisibleshield.com) & am very impressed. The mateiral they use is the same thing used to protect military helicopter blades. It took a while to put on the ipod, but has been the best case I've ever had for any device. I was so impressed I jsut bought another invisible shield for my cell phone. The mateiral is clear & resists scratches. They sell kits for the powerbooks that cover (IIRC) the wrist rests & the top of the computer (when closed) I think they run $40 for the powerbook models. Not cheap, but very worth it for something as expensive as a powerbook. (BTW, I have no financial or other interest in IS, just a VERY satisfied customer)

Forum Links
Forum Rules