Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > My Gripe with Safari (Browser Fight!)

My Gripe with Safari (Browser Fight!)
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 12:18 PM

So I like Safari because it's just THE OSX browser, but to me it just doesn't hold up as that good of a brower.

I liked Firefox because it has so many extensions that can easily be installed, but it is a RAM whore, so I switched to Camino. Now Camino is a great web browser. It's a lot less clunkier than Firefox, which is good, and it is much more of a quality browser to Safari.

With Camino, I added a quick mod so it can fool websites into thinking it is IE 6, IE 5 (Mac), or Firefox. There is no website I cannot visit, unlike Safari.

Also, I don't know why people are against the Gecko rendering engine, because it is lightning on my MacBook. Safari might be a split second faster, but it is so marginal it's almost not noticable. Furthermore, it seems like Camino (and Firefox was like this too) is much smoother and powerful. With Safari, it just slows to a crawl when trying to scroll a lot of HTML heavy Myspace pages, but not with Camino, smooth like butter.

Another feature in Camino I like is remembering passwords. Every forum or email I go to log into, my L/P is already inputed automatically when the page loads, so all I need to do is click login. Very convenient IMO.

To me, the biggest problems with Safari is the fact that is does not seem professional. I like the fact that it is lightweight on the system, but the only browser available that is really heavy is Firefox, which is why I use Camino now. I would like to try OMNIWeb, but I think it's stupid paying for a browser.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 29, 2006, 02:43 PM

13 views and nobody cares to reply with an opinion? Hrmm...
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2006, 02:51 PM

Well, we've been through this several times already, so you may just be adding salt to wounds

Personally, I use Camino as my main browser and Firefox as my secondary.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Macola View Post
Well, we've been through this several times already, so you may just be adding salt to wounds

Personally, I use Camino as my main browser and Firefox as my secondary.
Isn't it great to have such a choice of browsers?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2006, 07:57 PM

One of my problems with Camino is that it never remembers my favicons after I use OmniWeb/Safari for a week or so.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2006, 08:24 PM

Safari seems to really bog down when you have a lot of websites loaded into tabs. There are also still some rendering and compatibility issues. It isn't quite where Firefox is, but it is close.

You can set your User-agent in Safari though.

kick52
Baninated
Nov 29, 2006, 08:26 PM

yeah. camino is good. *AND* it can do wordpress wysiwyg.

the only thing is, it cant remember passwords when going to hotmail.com.. it says my password is wrong..

nevermind though.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2006, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by kick52 View Post
the only thing is, it cant remember passwords when going to hotmail.com.. it says my password is wrong..
Why in hell are you using Hotmail?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

tie
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2006, 01:25 AM

I wish Camino used the same keyboard shortcuts as Safari.

mindwaves
Nov 30, 2006, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
I wish Camino used the same keyboard shortcuts as Safari.
You can change your most commonly used shortcuts in the keyboard preference pane. So neat. I got them configured the same way.

scauntay
Nov 30, 2006, 07:19 AM

so far safari has been good to me, up until today. seems like it was updated without me knowing, cause all the default bookmarks i deleted were back and ive been getting this stupid syntac warning sign poping up sayin that we have a new configuration or something for this program, would you like to use it. but ill try out the camino and see what thas like.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Nov 30, 2006, 08:56 PM

haha sorry I'm beating a dead horse guys!

How is OMNIWeb compare to Camino? Let's pretend OMNI is free for now to make it fair

CatOne
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
haha sorry I'm beating a dead horse guys!

How is OMNIWeb compare to Camino? Let's pretend OMNI is free for now to make it fair
OmniWeb *way* out-features Camino. Its rendering is very similar to Safari's, given they both use WebKit.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2006, 10:45 PM

Hey drnkn_stylz, PM me if you need a Gmail invite!

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Why in hell are you using Hotmail?
Change your world and you will change your mind.

drnkn_stylz  (op)
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by crazyjohnson View Post
Hey drnkn_stylz, PM me if you need a Gmail invite!
Uh not me, I have Gmail, but thank you.

I'm going to try out OMNIWeb and see how it is.

For now I love Camino though.

Alcoholica
Dec 1, 2006, 05:25 PM

Safari can remember passwords in the exact same way, and it can also be set to any user-agent. :S

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 1, 2006, 06:29 PM

Omniweb has been my default browser for a while now, I love it. I use Safari once in a while, and I usually download and try out the others. OW is of course not free, but there are certain features that made it worthwhile to me. Thumbnail tabs and per-site preferences are great, as is Workspaces.

kauffee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 06:53 PM

Definitely worth checking out OmniWeb. I started using it a few weeks ago and there's no going back. For me, it's by far the fastest and has the best features (per-site preferences is great). At first I didn't like thumbnail tabs, but after using them for a few weeks I have to say, I think I prefer them to Safari-style.

Yes, it's ridiculous to pay for a browser... but when you think about it, there's plenty of software on your system that you pay for, and you probably use a browser more than any other piece of software. Over the long haul, it's a small investment for a great product.

warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 05:05 PM

A week ago I downloaded OmniWeb and have been using it since as my main browser. Let's face it, if you have a computer these days, the $10 for a piece of software might as well be considered free, especially one that is as good as OmniWeb is.

So far, here are my list of pros and cons:
Pros:
1. More adjustable tab browsing than Safari.
2. As fast as Safari and seems to have less problematic sites than Safari does.
3. I like the setup of the bookmarking. I know it isn't that different than most, but it isn't cumbersome either.
4. Nice clean look to it.

Cons:
1. Tab browsing could be better and I would love to see an option of switching to a top tab system like the others. It would be nice to have options.
2. Still has problematic sites.
3. I would love to be able to add more expansions and customize it a little better.
4. I would love to be able to add a few more buttons to the toolbar, like a button for a new tab instead of going through the file dropdown.
5. More options for changing saved information. I have a couple sites that I have changed login info on due to an ex that likes to buy stuff and it always pops up in the bar and then I have to delete and type the new one in.
6. I hate the fact that I haven't figured out how to open a downloaded file from the download window and that the download window doesn't automatically pop-up when it is downloading.

Some of the cons can probably be fixed, but I just haven't figured out how. All in all, I like Omni better than Safari, Opera and Camino. I can't really say that I like it more than Firefox yet, but it is close for the majority of my uses.
iStink (with my Mac)

pliny
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 05:29 PM

Camino is a good browser. I think most of the complaints about Gecko have focused on Firefox as the front end for Gecko and not Gecko itself.

But what do I know, I use Omniweb.
i look in your general direction

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 10:44 PM

People argue about browsers all the time, but what the heck, might as well.

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
With Camino, I added a quick mod so it can fool websites into thinking it is IE 6, IE 5 (Mac), or Firefox. There is no website I cannot visit, unlike Safari.
Safari can do this too if you enable the debug menu (in the Terminal, enter "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1").

Also, I don't know why people are against the Gecko rendering engine, because it is lightning on my MacBook.
Well actually I prefer Webkit over Gecko because it has much prettier rendering. Especially for fonts.

Another feature in Camino I like is remembering passwords. Every forum or email I go to log into, my L/P is already inputed automatically when the page loads, so all I need to do is click login. Very convenient IMO.
Huh, Safari does this too, but I don't think it's enabled by default. It's in the Preferences under AutoFill.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules