Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anybody with knowledge about scooters/motorcycle

Anybody with knowledge about scooters/motorcycle
centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 28, 2007, 11:51 PM

Alright, referring to back to this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/85/macnn-lou...our-help-im/2/

and wanting to save money on gas and be nice to the environment, I've decided I need to get a form of powered 2 wheel transportation. I biked to work all last summer, and while that was nice, it won't cut it if I get an internship farther away. So, yeah... I have a scooter. Problem is, parts are basically non-existant in this hemisphere, and it's a 2 stroke anyway, which means it creates more emissions than 8 new cars running for 8 hours each.

SOOOOo, I want to toss the guts. I want to 'pimp my ride', and preferably install a fairly modern 4 stroke engine/transmission from another bike. As for ccs and power, I don't know. The old one was 124.5 ccs, and produced 7.5 horsepower. I don't want to make it into a hotrod or anything, but I guess additional power would be cool, but not really necessary. I do have a lot of space under the body of this thing to install it, and I can make engine mounts on the mill at school, out of aluminum or something.

Here's the rub: I have no idea where to find what I'm looking for. Where the hell would I get an engine/transmission for a motorcycle/scoooter? And what should I get? MPG and cost would be the major deciding factors.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Alright,
I'm going to guess that you didn't mean to hit submit just yet.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 12:12 AM

What are the laws in your area about engine size and highway use? If you want to be able to take it on the highway, you should get one big enough to be legal.

I think 150cc is a pretty standard size for scooters. 250cc is pretty much as big as your going to get with a standard sized scooter.

As for where to get them, maybe try a honda motorcycle dealership. At the very least they should be able to order you the parts you need. Any bike shop that sells scooters (or probably even if they don't) should be able to get the parts.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 12:17 AM

Yeah, but ordering part by part= way more than buying an entire new scooter. Like, if I took a $13,000 car from a dealership, and sold each part of that car for dealership prices, I'd make probably double or triple. So yeah, technically a dealership could maybe do that...... but it' would cost a fortune. Maybe they have something laying in back though, I'll give it a shot.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 12:22 AM

Maybe even try Craigslist. You never know what sort of crazy **** people have there. Maybe you could even find an old scooter in a junkyard or something.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 12:39 AM

Okay, but what should I look for? Most scooters I can find on craigslist are like 50ccs or so, which just won't cut it. Is there a certain engine/transmission combo that's really good, ie, chrsyler's hemi rocked in the v8 world, in the turbo 4 banger world honda and subaru and mitsu are pretty great.... but in the 4 stroke motorcycle world, I have no idea what I should be trying to get.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 09:31 AM

A fat chick is like a scooter.. it's fun until your friends seeing you riding one. ...

if its above 50cc you need your licence, so i hope you have that sorted out.

The amount of time and cash invested in converting her over to something else isn't goingt to be worth it/if at all possible. Remember the bike isn't built for higher speeds, because it wasn't designed to do them. If you slap a bigger motor in there and take her up to 50-65 chances are she will be rather impossble to ride, nasty woobles, frame weaknesses will def be noticable.

If I were you, keep the scooter stock as something to putt around and pick up real bike. An old CB350 would be plenty of nut to do highway speeds (i wouldn't buy anything less then that). They can be found in decent shape for way under a grand.

if you are looking to bastardize the scooter, look at the 350 from honda, they revolitionized 4 stroke twins and set the pace back in 1970s (10K red line, DOHC, 36 hp) with their known durablility and shear mass numbers avalible. But chances of finding an engine worthy of buying, it's going to be the same price as an entire bike

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
A fat chick is like a scooter.. it's fun until your friends seeing you riding one. ...

if its above 50cc you need your licence, so i hope you have that sorted out.

The amount of time and cash invested in converting her over to something else isn't goingt to be worth it/if at all possible. Remember the bike isn't built for higher speeds, because it wasn't designed to do them. If you slap a bigger motor in there and take her up to 50-65 chances are she will be rather impossble to ride, nasty woobles, frame weaknesses will def be noticable.

If I were you, keep the scooter stock as something to putt around and pick up real bike. An old CB350 would be plenty of nut to do highway speeds (i wouldn't buy anything less then that). They can be found in decent shape for way under a grand.

if you are looking to bastardize the scooter, look at the 350 from honda, they revolitionized 4 stroke twins and set the pace back in 1970s (10K red line, DOHC, 36 hp) with their known durablility and shear mass numbers avalible. But chances of finding an engine worthy of buying, it's going to be the same price as an entire bike
Once again I find your posts full of 'know it all attitude' while at the same time being very wrong. Here in MY state, scooters can be up to 125ccs. And stock, with the 7.5hp, it had a top speed of 52mph. It has 14" rims and tires, so it's not exactly like a honda spree, in terms of chassis strength. It has a bent tubular framed chassis and the thing weighs about 240lbs or so.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 1, 2007, 01:31 PM

For freeway legal scooters, might I suggest the KYMCO USA Xciting 500 or Honda Silver Wing.

There are other bikes along these lines as well from Yamaha and Honda.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2007, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by strictlyplaid View Post

For freeway legal scooters, might I suggest the KYMCO USA Xciting 500 or Honda Silver Wing.

There are other bikes along these lines as well from Yamaha and Honda.
I think those are your best options. They're basically motorcycles, anyway.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 01:49 PM

Here in MY state, scooters can be up to 125ccs.
just because its classified as a scooter doesn't mean you don't need a license

Motorcycle license - Wisconsin Department of Transportation

"A moped is motorcycle with an automatic transmission and engine certified at not more than 50cc."

am I reading that wrong?

And stock, with the 7.5hp, it had a top speed of 52mph. It has 14" rims and tires, so it's not exactly like a honda spree, in terms of chassis strength. It has a bent tubular framed chassis and the thing weighs about 240lbs or so.
When was the last time you took it up to 52MPH how stable was it? you think it can handle higher speeds? my bike has a top speed of 110, but hell if i am going anywhere near 80 on it.

I am just thinking if you are investing a considerable amount of time/money into this platform I would be damn sure the scooter is cabable of higher speeds, otherwise why bother?

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 01:59 PM

]"A moped is motorcycle with an automatic transmission and engine certified at not more than 50cc."

am I reading that wrong?
Yes. It can have up to 130ccs with a manual transmission. With an automatic, it can be up to 50ccs. And dude, I'm not trying to make a pocket rocket out of this thing. I don't think 55mph is too much to ask of it, given the proper engine, and new tires. Do you think 'american choppers' is worried about the stability of all the weird **** they build? Probably not. And I'm not even doing something that radical. Just an engine/transmission swap, possibly.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 02:16 PM

Yes. . Do you think 'american choppers' is worried about the stability of all the weird **** they build? Probably not.
"I have a scooter.." doesn't help much when you're asking people what you can do to upgrade it. I don't have a scooter, but I have a car, so can anyone tell me what I need to make it go faster? (You get the point?)

You'd better believe American Choppers is worried about the stability of the "weird" bikes they sell! If they build a bike that is capable of flying down the expressway, it has, by law, a warranty of being suitable for the purpose it was built for. You can't operate it in a reckless manner, but if you're driving at 80mph and the wheel falls off, and it's their fault, you win a big legal case.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 02:34 PM

Well obviously a wheel is not going to fall off if I hit 55mph on a vehicle that was originally limited at 52mph due to lack of power. I'm not talking about going 200mph on a honda spree. I'm talking about updating a vintage, METAL motorcycle/scooter with modern technology for more reliability, mpg, and fewer emissions.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 02:38 PM

Turns out subaru builds a shifter-kart engine.... called the KX21. It's a 4 stroke, and it produces 9.5hp at 5600rpms. Hrmmm... need to look into transmissions.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 05:14 PM

Do you think 'american choppers' is worried about the stability of all the weird **** they build?
90% of the time they take a cookie cutter frame that has been tested and slap parts onto it that are know to be solid performers, and then add some fancy decoration to it. They don't have to worry about stability because they are going off a solid platform.

What kind of millage were you seeing in the original engine?

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 06:43 PM

I have no idea. I never got it running reliably enough to use as daily transportation. The carb is screwed, and the mercury carb isn't working out either. It's too rich. All that, + trying to get parts via weird shops in slavakia using babelfish, and it being a dirty 2 stroke= screw it. I just want to rip it out, and replace it with something similar in size, weight, and power. An extra 1 hp would definitely make this thing hit 55mph, if the transmission has similar ratios. And hell, even if it can't hit 55, I don't really care. Any time I could use this instead of a full on car would save in gas, money, and emissions.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Maybe even try Craigslist. You never know what sort of crazy **** people have there. Maybe you could even find an old scooter in a junkyard or something.
Woah. I usually check on there for deals every few days, but somebody listed a yamaha YSR50! I LOVE those bikes! I fell in love with them years ago at a boat race, some team had them as pit bikes.... I wanted one sooooo bad. I might look like a dork on one, but whatever, they're freaking cool. It's $200 and needs a headgasket and a kickstart. I think I can handle that, I'm going to email the dude about it. It'd be neat to have one of those, and I betcha they're stellar on gas.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 07:42 PM

Woah. I usually check on there for deals every few days, but somebody listed a yamaha YSR50! I LOVE those bikes! I fell in love with them years ago at a boat race, some team had them as pit bikes.... I wanted one sooooo bad. I might look like a dork on one, but whatever, they're freaking cool. It's $200 and needs a headgasket and a kickstart. I think I can handle that, I'm going to email the dude about it. It'd be neat to have one of those, and I betcha they're stellar on gas.
Nice. I'm looking into getting a bike too (well, have been for quite a while, got my license about 8 months ago). Sadly when you're self employed and have a mortgage it becomes a lot harder to justify multi-thousand dollar splurges...

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2007, 07:50 PM

How much do you want to spend?

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 07:50 PM

Nice. Just pick up an old honda or yamaha from the 70s. They usually go pretty cheap.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 1, 2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn View Post
How much do you want to spend?
On the redoing the old scooter with a modern powerplant? Probably up to $1000 max. I need a little more $ for tires, and other stuff.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 07:54 PM

Nice. Just pick up an old honda or yamaha from the 70s. They usually go pretty cheap.
Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. Although I'm absolutely in love with these: http://www.imz-ural.com/wolf/

Only ~$6000 new...

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2007, 08:13 PM

On the redoing the old scooter with a modern powerplant? Probably up to $1000 max. I need a little more $ for tires, and other stuff.

What do you think of this?

eBay Motors: 150cc Gas Scooter Yamaha Or Lontin Engine 3 yr warranty (item 290057485337 end time Dec-08-06 19:35:13 PST)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 08:20 PM

Nevermind, I don't know what I was smoking...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2007, 08:45 PM

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 01:59 AM

$997 + s/h

Sunflower1

Check out the specs and other pics. I doubt you'll find a better buy on a 150cc scooter or better quality for the price.

SPECIFICATIONS
Type 150cc 4 Stroke
Engine 4-Stroke, Forced Air Cooling + turbo cooling (not just air cooled)
Cylinders 1 Cast Cylinder With Chrome Impregnation
Piston Displacement 150 c.c. Special through the piston Lubrication
Exclusive High Torque Cast Cylinder With Chrome Impregnation
Max. Power 9.8 HP / 7000 rpm
Max. Torque 11.2 Lbs.-Ft. @ 5100 rpm
Starting System Electronic, With kick starter if battery fails.
Ignition CDI THOR The best in the business.
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.8 Gal. With Lockable Fuel Cap
Transmission Automatic (IVT) Shaft Drive on Final Drive
Total Length 74.4 In.
Total Width 27.2 In.
Total Height 50.8 In.
Seat Height 30.58 In.
Dry Weight 243 Lbs.
Suspension Hydraulic Cushion Tuned Dual Front
Front Brake Anti-Lock --- Hydraulic Disc --- Brass Inlayed
Rear Brake Internal Expanding --- Brass Inlayed --- Double Shoe
Front Tire 20 inches tall from top to bottom 130/60 x 13"
Rear Tire 20 inches tall from top to bottom 130/60 x 13"
Rims Lightweight Cast-Aluminum 13"
Exhaust System High-Performance Tuned
Instrument Panel Back Lighted for safety and night driving
Digital Clock Shows day, date, month, year
Gauges Florescent and lighted instrument needles, lighted speed o meter needle
Hand Grips Soft but strong rubber cushion with chrome tips.
THOR IGNITION--THE MOST RELIABLE, HOTTEST SPARK
Available with or without Yamaha Engine
Lipped air intake Exclusive To Our Engine Provides better air seal than normal air filter Box.
This engine is available only from SunFlower Power Sports ---- we help perfect this engine.
We are the only Scooter Importer To Offer A Repair Manual On Our Engine And Frame.
The only Importer with factory trained technicians that offer over $400,000.00 parts inventory.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 2, 2007, 10:08 AM

Yeah, get one of those chinese cheap ass scooters, let me know how it goes. Trust me, in most states, you can't even get a TITLE for them because they were never DMV certified to be used on our roads. Also, they're chinese, which means they're REALLY REALLY REALLY cheap. I've heard horror stories of catastrophic failure and miscast parts a whole lot of times. AVOID CHINESE SCOOTERS. And definitely make sure they have a title.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 2, 2007, 10:09 AM

"Seller makes no representations that the scooter is legal for operation in your specific municipality."

Same deal. They're illegal to drive on public roads.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 11:14 AM

Yeah, get one of those chinese cheap ass scooters, let me know how it goes. Trust me, in most states, you can't even get a TITLE for them because they were never DMV certified to be used on our roads. Also, they're chinese, which means they're REALLY REALLY REALLY cheap. I've heard horror stories of catastrophic failure and miscast parts a whole lot of times. AVOID CHINESE SCOOTERS. And definitely make sure they have a title.
I could be wrong, but non-titled vehicle does not necessarily equal illegal to drive on public roads. I have a non-titled 49cc scooter that has state plates and registration and can be driven on public roads; all that is needed is a bill of sale (and a presence in the DMV's database.) Perhaps this is the kind of thing that varies state to state?

Edit: By the way, 4 years with that scooter (bought it new) and it's working out great. Nothing more than normal maintenance has been required after 4,000+ miles. Not all brands are created equal, even in Taiwan. Look for a 1+ year warranty and you should be OK.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 08:28 PM

"Seller makes no representations that the scooter is legal for operation in your specific municipality."

Same deal. They're illegal to drive on public roads.
Sunflower Scooters,
attn: Beverly Stroderd and Connie Copeland

We wanted to thank you for your wonderful service. One thing we learned through the journey to finding a scooter, there aren't many HONEST and KNOWLEDEABLE sales people/business owners who are in the scooter business. We found that most companies only know what the manual says about their products. Winston answered all our questions without pause! Your company holds integrity, honesty and sells a great scooter! Shipping was incredibly fast, and we can't say enough about our experience with Sunflower Scooters. We are so pleased with the bikes they are nice looking, mechanically sound and FUN. We are being asked about them constantly. We will happily recommend you to people we meet! If you like, you can also publish this letter along with your ads, we stand behind our statements!

Thank You!
Frederick and April Tyler
Willoughby, OH
Hi

Two years ago I purchased a scooter from you. I called in and wanted to order a different brand but you told me that I should try the sunflower 150cc instead. Well I am glad that you did. My brother and his wife drove my scooter and bought one from you not long after I did.

I was in the market for another scooter for my wife and I looked on the Internet and found this person that claimed he had the same scooter as I bought from you and it was one hundred dollars less. I bought that scooter and I must say that is the worst most troublesome scooter. This has been the worst nightmare of my life and to make it worse my wife keeps telling me I told you so.

I decided I was not going to mess with that scooter any longer. I decided to sell that scooter and purchase two more, one for my wife and one for a family member. I have since purchased two more scooters from you and I just had to write and let you know that your scooter is so superior, and looks so much better than the so called same sccooter that I bought from the other guy. Your staff has been so nice and helpful ------ you are the best. I am happy my wife is happy and we love our scooters.

Thanks so much
James Dugan
Hello my Cajun Friends

I know you cannot remember everybody you talk to. I am the old guy with all the questions from Utah. My scooter arrived just like you said it would. I un-crated it and took it for a ride. This was five days ago. I just wanted to send you a note letting you know that my wife and several other of my neighbors said your web site does not do the scooter justice the paint is much more glossy than the picture on the Internet shows. I am so pleased with my new scooter words cannot describe the way I feel.

I have to say I was very skeptical because one of my friends bought a scooter from someone I will not mention a name. He is very dissatisfied with his scooter. When I talked to you on the phone you sort of put my mind at ease with your knowledge of the scooter. Well my Cajun Friend, I want to tell you that this scooter is much more than I ever expected.

I will recommend you and your product to anyone and everyone that wants to get a ear full of an old bull shitter. You have a wonderful product and a very pleasant staff. My wife and I travel and if we are ever in Louisiana we would like to formerly introduce ourselves. Hope that is ok.

Keep up the good work.
Johnny Thompson
PS:
ymoto_sunflower020006.jpg

Winston,

I have gotten my motor scooter on the road and it is better than I had hoped for. I was very hesitant to buy a scooter, and even so to purchase one on the internet. I absolutely love to ride the scooter, and am extremely pleased with the long distance purchase. I have performed my first oil change using the Lucas oil and stabilizer you recommended. I also use the Marvel Oil in my fuel. It might just be me, but I think the engine runs much smoother and quieter because of these recommendations.

I have one question about the repair manual. Is the repair manual that you offer for sale, the same I as I received with the scooter? The supplied manual was created by Neevia, and is Revision #22. If the manual you have sale is different I would like to purchase a copy. I will wait to hear from you.

Regards,

J. Parke
3 Year Warranty
Sunflower scooters
Ymoto scooters
Parts
ymoto_sunflower020005.jpg

Winston,

I wanted to wait until I had more miles on my scooter before sending you a feedback. I now have 1500 miles and have changed the oil and added the Lucas like you said. I just enjoy this scooter and have so much fun going to the coffee shop every morning to meed my retired buddies.

I dont know if they told you but Paul one of my coffee drinking buddies bought one like mine from you also. His is a bit faster than mine. Maybe it is just cause he is uglier than me. I dont like to travel that fast anyway, so mine is plenty fast enough.

Did you get the windshields in yet and if you did is the cost still $80.00. Where I live when I drive at night we have lots of bugs. They keep hitting my face shield and it makes it sometimes hard to see with all the bug juice.

I am only getting 60 miles to the gallon, is this due to the slow town driving that I do or is there something I can do to the scooter to make it better.

Tell Connie I said hello, she is such a Jewel.

Love my scooter

Bob
Hi Winston, my name is David Dugan. I am from Houston Texas. You and I have never talked but I have talked to Connie and Beverly on numerous occasions. I purchased from you because of your Belief in god and your courage not to hide the fact. When I talked to Connie the last time she indicated that numerous people had called in and congratulated you on having the courage to openly state this.

I fool around on the Internet for a pastime and to keep up with what is going on in the world. I recently ran accross a Web site that mentioned that you are a scam artist. I do not know how to respond to them or I would. Not in an ugly way but to let them know that I am more than pleased with my purchase. I have owned my scooter for over six months and just love it. It seems that the competition that is saying these things about you read your Web site to keep up with what you are doing. I hope they do because I want them to read this email that I am sending you. Please post this on your Web site. I love my scooter and I have seen others here in Houston that look like mine but when you get up close you can tell the difference. Thanks to all of you and we will keep you in our prayers.
ymoto_sunflower020002.jpg

Winston, Connie, & Beverly,
I just wanted to drop you guys a note and thank you for all the help you all gave me when I purchased my scooter (I purchased your product ). I am from North Dakota so will only get to ride it about six month of the year but those six months are going to be very enjoyable thanks to you. When shopping for a scooter I talked to many different dealerships but most of them were very good salesmen but didn't seem to have a lot of knowledge of scooters like you do Winston and there prices were all a bit higher. I have 250 miles on the scooter and am very happy with its performance and the quality of the material that it's made of, the material of the body is much heavier than I expected I have seen
some that were really flimsy. My work pickup went into the shop last week for 2 days so I drove my scooter to work 34 miles round trip and it did very well there are two highways I can take and on the one with the least traffic I was running about 57 mph and when I hit the last 3 miles where traffic was heavier I pulled up to 65 mph and it did very well. There is also a very large ravine to go through (about a 1/4 mile downhill and a 1/4 mile uphill) and at the bottom I was going 65 mph and when I got to the top of the other side I had only dropped down to 55 mph which is very good seeing I weigh 235 lbs. I have always been an advocate of Lucas oil products so when you recommended to put some in with the crankcase oil I knew then that you had a very good knowledge of these scooter engines and also using marvel mystery oil in the gas for upper engine lube and cleaner was an excellent idea I really think I will get a lot of life out of this scooter that way. All in all I would and will recommend Sunflower scooters to anyone looking for a very fine looking and mechanically sound bike. You have my permission to use this letter anyway you would like to promote your products. Thanks again!!!!

Dave Krumwiede

Hazen, North Dakota
2929 Hwy 90 East, Broussard, La. 70518 337-330-2216 Email: [email protected]
bus13_sqdot.gif
4 Wheelers
Cypress Auto Center
I called one of your guys this am. and he put me right on the problem. On my Wildfire there is no kill switch. That switch operates the lights...on/off. On your scooter the lights are automatic and there is a kill switch. With that switch in the off position there was NO way I would ever get a spark. The scooter drives like a dream....much nicer than the Wildfire (though similar in appearance to the WIldfire I already have) The ride feels so much more solid. Love it. I can't wait until I get the paperwork from you guys to register it and get it on the real roads of Florida. Thanks so much for your help. I plan on leaving very positive feedback. Charles Farrell
ymoto_sunflower020001.jpg
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 08:38 PM

I could be wrong, but non-titled vehicle does not necessarily equal illegal to drive on public roads. I have a non-titled 49cc scooter that has state plates and registration and can be driven on public roads; all that is needed is a bill of sale (and a presence in the DMV's database.) Perhaps this is the kind of thing that varies state to state?

Edit: By the way, 4 years with that scooter (bought it new) and it's working out great. Nothing more than normal maintenance has been required after 4,000+ miles. Not all brands are created equal, even in Taiwan. Look for a 1+ year warranty and you should be OK.
Yeah. This has a 3 year warranty. The importer looks sufficiently substantial and reputable, they sell a repair manual, have a large parts inventory, seem knowledgeable about the workings of the cycles and the manufacturer APPEARS to be either Honda of China or Yamaha of China.

But what do I know?

Only what I read.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 09:09 PM

Spacy 100 A four-stroke, 100cc scooter made by Wuyang – Honda Motors (Guangzhou) of China and imported to Japan utilizing Honda's global network.
Looks very similar. I think it's a Chinese scooter made for Honda. The design looks to be from 2004 but these are new and 150cc.

Honda Worldwide | Motorcycles | Business Report
Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (Private) Ltd. (HMSI), a subsidiary, launched the Eterno, a sleek 150cc geared scooter with a sophisticated design and good ...
world.honda.com/motorcycle/report/2004/ - 23k - Cached - Similar pages
[PDF]
Honda

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 09:42 PM

Here's what I have:

2007 TGB Key West 49cc Scooter by Cobra Powersports

I actually have a rebadged/rebranded version of this scooter.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 2, 2007, 09:59 PM

Why did you guys clout up my thread with so much fake testimonial advertising? Are you getting paid?

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 10:26 PM

Why did you guys clout up my thread with so much fake testimonial advertising? Are you getting paid?

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 10:27 PM

You guys = one overboard post by Eynstyn.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 10:30 PM

You guys = one overboard post by Eynstyn.
Are you the kind of guy who quickly says, "NOT ME!" when someone asks, "WHO FARTED????!!!"

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 2, 2007, 10:34 PM

Are you the kind of guy who quickly says, "NOT ME!" when someone asks, "WHO FARTED????!!!"
I'm the kind of guy who posted a two-line response to Cash's argument about Chinese scooters. FWIW, I really do own that scooter.

Are you the kind of guy who copies and pastes marketing releases into forums? :-)

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 2, 2007, 10:36 PM

I'm the kind of guy who posted a two-line response to Cash's argument about Chinese scooters. FWIW, I really do own that scooter.

Are you the kind of guy who copies and pastes marketing releases into forums? :-)
Are you the kind of guy who points out the obvious when he can't come up with anything better?

No, wait. That looks like just what I AM!

OK. Nevermind.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 10:53 PM

Sunflower Scooters,
attn: Beverly Stroderd and Connie Copeland

We wanted to thank you for your wonderful service. Yatta yatta yah. Amazingly long cut and pasted testimonial crap. Blah blah blah.
All this posted proved is your mastery of cut and paste, because no one is going to take the time to read and absurdly long collection of testimonials.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
All this posted proved is your mastery of cut and paste, because no one is going to take the time to read and absurdly long collection of testimonials.
I did, guess I'm different though.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by euchomai View Post
I did, guess I'm different though.
So did I.

Different is good.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 3, 2007, 01:04 AM

Not if it's just fake advertising. Testimonials aren't real.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2007, 01:27 AM

Not if it's just fake advertising. Testimonials aren't real.
Some people are just too smart for their own good. Do as you please. I just stopped caring.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 03:33 PM

cash, if you are looking to drop 1000 buck, how come you just buy a real bike and keep the scooter original?

as you said look for a 1970s honda and you will def find something worthwhile
( Last edited by G4ME; Mar 4, 2007 at 04:31 PM. )

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 5, 2007, 12:12 AM

Because the 'original' scooter is effing impossible to get parts for. You try finding parts for a 68 Tatran. Brand? Tatran. Model? Tatran 125. Closely related to Jawa bikes, but shares no parts with them.

I need:

A refurbished carb, mine is pretty much fukt, new throttle/brake cables, and a gasket kit for the engine.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 04:11 AM

I ride this:

http://web.mac.com/klk145/iWeb/Kurt%...3A0290003.html

It is a big performance cruiser that gets 40mpg on the highway. Not bad for 700 pounds and 1800cc.

Just buy a used bike. You can get some nice 600cc 3 year old bikes for cheap. And they get awesome mileage. Somewhere around 60mpg I think.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Macpilot View Post
I ride this:

http://web.mac.com/klk145/iWeb/Kurt%...3A0290003.html

It is a big performance cruiser that gets 40mpg on the highway. Not bad for 700 pounds and 1800cc.

Just buy a used bike. You can get some nice 600cc 3 year old bikes for cheap. And they get awesome mileage. Somewhere around 60mpg I think.
Ooh, nice bike. I love the Suzuki cruisers, beautiful styling. At some point I want to do the PCH too, though now that I live in Boston it'll be a little harder... (I'm thinking take a month or so, fly out to San Diego, buy a new bike, ride up the PCH, then ride to Boton.)

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Macpilot View Post
I ride this:

PCH up to Big Sur (Highway 1)

Nice bike!

His $$ limit was about a grand. It's hard to find anything reliable for a grand or less unless you make the diligent and ongoing search for it part of the challenge and are willing to wait until the right deal comes along. In fact, I wonder if it isn't somewhat easier to find a good auto deal for $1,000 than the good bike deal at that price.

That's why the Chinese Honda 150 cc scooter looked like a good deal.

Brand New.
3 Year Warranty.
Honda reputation & reliability.
Latest technology.
It meets his speed and economy demands.
Good dealer support.
Comparable size bikes cost much more or aren't as well made or both.

For $997 + S/H.

Forum Links
Forum Rules