Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Fan Problems Aaaah!!!! Help

Fan Problems Aaaah!!!! Help
harky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 06:52 AM

hello,

i've been using SMC fan Control to control the speed of my fans
(http://81.169.182.62/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html)

for when my mac gets stupidly hot.
it really helps er... helped!

and now it is registering that one of my fans is on zero rpm, i.e. broken.
NO!!!!!!
so. i am obviously worried. should i stop using my mac completely until i get a replacement, will i BURN OUT MY CHIP?! Help
advice

i also installed fans widget which displays fan speed (for a second opinion) and it also registers ZERO.

harky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 07:13 AM

if my chip WILL overheat and burn, can i disable it for the time being?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 07:55 AM

Run Apple Hardware Test (boot from the install DVD, press and hold 'd') and note the error code. Call Apple and give them the code. They will have you send it in if the fan and/or LB need to be replaced (they replaced both on my rev A MBP). You should be able to continue to use it in the meantime though. If it becomes so hot that components could get damaged it will shut off automatically.

harky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 02:02 PM

I dont have applecare

they want me to take it to a shop

does that mean i hav to pay?
even if its in warranty?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2007, 02:09 PM

No, your warranty is valid for 12 months and therefore Apple will pay for a broken fan. Just drop it off at the AASP and they will either repair it themselves or send it to Apple's repair center.

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 26, 2007, 02:32 PM

Wow...this is a first time I've heard something like this, hope things work out for you.

harky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 04:12 PM

i got error code 4MOT/1/40000002:Left_Middle-Front

I can clearly see it says LEFT up there.
but can you tell me which fan is broken, and my fans widget displays the right one as 0 RPM.

I used SMC fan control one last time to see if i could feel / hear which is broken. I cranked it to 4500RPM and it very much sounds and feels like the left is fine.

No air comes out of the right side of the grille at the back of the laptop.

How can i find out for sure?
( Last edited by harky; Mar 27, 2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: ammendment)

harky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2007, 04:23 PM

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by harky View Post
How can i find out for sure?
From what you say, it is probably the right fan (in my case it was the right fan too). But it's really irrelevant. The error code will let the Apple service facility or an AASP know what exactly to replace. I had the same error code and in my case both fans and the LB were replaced.

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2007, 03:59 PM

I wouldn't mention your use of SMC fan control or else they might think you broke it through abuse. Have you considered a laptop stand, they can really improve air flow under the case simply by elevating it, such as: Griffin Technology: Elevator - Desktop Stand for Personal Computers
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 04:03 PM

It may not get fixed if they find out about SMC fan control. I never ever do stuff like that to my Mac. Apple or any other company may use it against.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2007, 03:48 AM

I wouldn't rub it in their face either. But there is no reason to believe an app that cranks up the fan can actually damage it. Those fans are spec'ed to run at 6000 rpm. smcFC just tells the fans to run faster at a lower temperature. smcFC isn't pushing them to do anything out of their range.

harky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 07:53 AM

ive heard its a good idea to backup , and wipe the mac and reinstal osx clean so they have nothing to complain about when you send it in

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 11:14 AM

First of all, what prompted you to think that some 3rd party app is going to be smarter that engineers that designed the fan/temp sensor/logic board?

Take it to Apple. Let them replace the fan and/or test the unit. I would suggest deleting that app from your machine first.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

harky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2007, 10:00 AM

All i knows is, i used a fan prog for a couple days, changed speeds etc.. and then the fan died.

I was messing with the fans, then one gives out. 1 + 1 sometimes = 2.

is all.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2007, 06:52 PM

Most likely a coincidence. In the past there have been quite a few reports about MBP fans going south.

WetcoastBob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 05:07 AM

My MBP from April last year is starting to make some rattling noises from the left fan. I too have smc fan control. I find the noise from the fan to sound like a worn bearing. There is also the possiblity that there is some crud in the fan ( I have two cats one of which has incredibily fine fur) I am wondering if some of the fur hasn't got stuck in the fan.
Also when waking from sleep the left 2-3 inches of the screen is dimmer for a few miniutes. Anyone else have this?

cawesjmu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2007, 12:19 AM

I had my left fan die in my MBP core duo in mid jan. I also used SMC and noticed it said zero and the widget as well. So I took mine into the apple store in Richmond, VA because I was worried about it overheating as well. They had to order the fan because they didn't have any in stock, but after they got the part, it was a very quick fix. They didn't touch anything else, so I wouldn't say you have to reinstall OS X or anything like that, but backing up before taking it in is always a good a idea. Just take it in, and they should be able to repair it in the store. It should be done quick and then you won't have to worry about it anymore. Good luck.

applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 02:23 AM

you should prob take it to apple, so you personally dont experience a hot lap. if you burn out your "chip", then apple can always replace it. but that is a pain. If you buy applecare, apple will send you a box.
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

solecist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2007, 12:19 AM

First of all, what prompted you to think that some 3rd party app is going to be smarter that engineers that designed the fan/temp sensor/logic board?
Ha, my first coast to coast flight with the macbook 'pro' where I was supposed to hvae my images processed by landing, but burnt my legs and ran out of battery before I could get it done.

SO - what are the specs for replacing that little fan. I'm 10-12 days past warranty and I didn't want to pay apple $190 to replace a very noisy fan. I searched a little thinking that this would be a hot market item now, but didn't find anything right away. Any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules