Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > BOINC Front Page

BOINC Front Page
ChillyWilly5280
Dec 8, 2007, 07:10 AM

Zombie 67 is on the front page at BOINC. It won't last more than 24 hours I imagine, so...

Congratulations zombie67!

zombie67
Senior User
Dec 8, 2007, 11:28 AM

Dang! Missed it again. That's the second time, and I missed both of 'em.

Thanks for letting me know!

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2007, 12:51 PM

I just did a quick check - the highlighted person changes each time the web site is accessed; even refreshing the page changes the person...

beadman

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2007, 02:58 PM

ChillyWilly5280, did you keep a screen shot? We could post it as news, even though it's transient.

ChillyWilly5280  (op)
Dec 8, 2007, 04:49 PM

Yes I did, but I don't have my page up yet so I have nowhere to host it.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 8, 2007, 09:58 PM

email it to the team email box. I'll crop and post it.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 12:14 AM

There is always UL1 being shown as well..

UL1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2007, 06:53 AM

Thanx for letting me know...
...never seen it before...

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 12:08 PM

I just happened to catch it and recognized the name.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 9, 2007, 03:05 PM

I didn't recognize the "UL1" name, sorry. Once ChillyWilly comes up with the original pic, we can post both. We need more news.

arkayn, is there any more to the picture? I'd be inclined to leave some of the BOINC page around it, to add context. So I'm hoping you cropped that out of a larger screen grab.

ChillyWilly5280  (op)
Dec 9, 2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
email it to the team email box. I'll crop and post it.
I signed up at Team MacNN but never received the password. I did send zombie67 a copy tho.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

You don't need to be signed up, the team email is listed on any of the Team pages. I didn't want to post it directly, because the link is obscured on the website, to make it difficult to harvest.

team (a) macnn [dut] com

For awhile, we had gotten up to 7-8 spams per day on that box. Currently, it's wandered back down to the 4 spd range.

[edit] scratch the above. The obscured team email link is on the stats pages, but never quite got onto the new news site. oops [/edit]

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2007, 11:34 PM

I didn't recognize the "UL1" name, sorry. Once ChillyWilly comes up with the original pic, we can post both. We need more news.

arkayn, is there any more to the picture? I'd be inclined to leave some of the BOINC page around it, to add context. So I'm hoping you cropped that out of a larger screen grab.
Unfortunately I am one of those command-shift-4 people, I just get what I need and not the rest.

Of course with a little work with a second screen shot and graphic converter I can fix that.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 15, 2007, 12:09 AM

This hasn't died. I went to upload the image to the MacNN image server, only to discover the team login isn't working. I've sent an email upstairs about the login problem. Once we can reach the imageserver, UL1's callout will be posted. I'm still waiting on zombie's picture from ChillyWilly.

ChillyWilly5280  (op)
Dec 16, 2007, 11:34 AM

This hasn't died. I went to upload the image to the MacNN image server, only to discover the team login isn't working. I've sent an email upstairs about the login problem. Once we can reach the imageserver, UL1's callout will be posted. I'm still waiting on zombie's picture from ChillyWilly.
Check the team MacNN mailbox, I think I sent it several days ago by the altered address you posted, and I just sent it using the link in your PM. Sorry I can't host it myself at this time, but I'm glad that you can so zombie67 gets the credit he so richly deserves.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 16, 2007, 01:24 PM

Well, uh ... ChillyWilly5280 did indeed send zombie's pic six days ago. My dog ate it Junk folder ate it. Spam is currently running at 11+ per day, and I missed spotting it somehow. Sorry about the runaround.

If MacNN doesn't get back to me on the imageserver, I'll host them in my personal webspace.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 17, 2007, 05:16 PM

The story almost went up this morning, with the images hosted in my private space.

I've heard back on the MacNN imageserver, but that may take awhile to sort out. So I went with my own web space, and created the story. Trouble is, I can't seem to get the images inserted. The [img] HTML tag is disabled on story submission, and the image-insert controls are apparently on strike.

I've sent an email to krove, who did the Geeklog install for the team page. If he's gone for the holidays, I'll have to dig through the site files, see if I can turn on the [img] tag for stories. That setting is probably in a config file somewhere.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 20, 2007, 11:52 PM

Looks like the team servers should have received some attention before now. I didn't hear back from krove, so I located the relevant config file and edited it to allow the HTML [img] tag in stories. Went to upload the edited file - oops, we no longer have write permission in that directory.

Further experimentation revealed that we'd lost write permission through most of the site's file hierarchy. With no idea of when it happened - we don't usually mess around in the raw files. So ... another email sent off to the site admins, to look into it.

I never figured it would be so hard to post a story with a couple of pictures in it.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 27, 2007, 02:37 PM

It is up.

It took several rounds of troubleshooting with the server admins, and some group changes on our account.

Forum Links
Forum Rules