Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Boinc Project Credits

Boinc Project Credits
Billy
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2008, 10:21 AM

2008-01-16: RieselSieve - BOINC Credit Discussion
Over the last few days, there has been quite a number of discussions regarding the current BOINC credit model, as well as several proposals for new models to follow. While some of the discussion has taken place on the boinc_projects list, many of these discussions have occurred on IRC, multiple project/team/BOINC forums, or personal email. In the interest of time, clarity, and the ability to hear many views in a single arena, the staff of Riesel Sieve and I would like to extend an invitation to a BOINC Credit Community Discussion on Monday, January 21st. This discussion will be held via irc on irc.freenode.net, in the channel #boinc-credit.
In the interest of having the discussion at a time conducive to all, we will be hosting two discussions, at 2pm US Eastern Time and 8pm US Eastern Time. Please consider attending either or both. The logs from each will also be posted on the Riesel Sieve website shortly afterward, to allow those who could not attend the opportunity to review the transcript.
The only way that we can come to a true solution to the crediting situation is through a thorough discussion (or series of discussions) in a real-time format, not over email. Anyone from the BOINC community, including individual users, is invited to attend. Please consider redistributing through your own team channels to encourage attendance.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 18, 2008, 02:10 PM

I hope they're talking about letting your credits follow you when switching teams. That's how it should work, in my opinion. You crunched the credits, you paid for the hardware & electricity. You shouldn't have to split ownership with whatever team you were on at the time.

I'll try to attend the later one. Billy, thanks for reposting this.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2008, 06:49 PM

Based on a discussion in the Number Crunching forum on S@H's boards, I thought the main talking point was "credit normalization." That appears to be the code word for getting all projects to award equivalent credits for the same level of work. The most vocal participants in the NC discussion appear to be arguing that S@H awards less than other projects, and therefore, should increase the credit rate. Those participants are interpreting "credit normalization" as a euphemism meaning that the BOINC masters are intending to reduce S@H's credit rate (again).

QS

reader50
Administrator
Jan 18, 2008, 09:53 PM

Unexpected work caused me to arrive a half hour late. There are 10 other people present, but no one's talking. Looks like the excitement is over.

zombie67
Senior User
Jan 19, 2008, 12:06 AM

?? Jan 21st....

reader50
Administrator
Jan 19, 2008, 12:13 AM

Ok, that explains why they were so quiet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules