Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone being shrunk?

iphone being shrunk?
njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2008, 01:15 PM

There's a headline out claiming the next-gen iphone will only have a 2.8 inch screen. Is this for real? It seems to me like that would be a disaster. The biggest selling point of the iphone is it's big, pretty touchscreen. I have held off buying an iphone because of the lack of gps - but, if the only way to get gps in an iphone is to settle for some smurf-phone, I won't bother. Won't safari and the keyboard both be unusable on such a tiny screen? I really hope this is a bogus rumor, or maybe a description of a different product.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Apr 29, 2008, 01:30 PM

Where did you hear this news? I don't know the original screen size so I can't picture how much smaller 2.8 inch will be but I do agree that it would be a mistake to make the screen smaller. Unless they are trying to make room for something else or cutting cost I don't see why they would want to make the screen smaller since the screen is such an important aspect to the iPhone.

I am waiting for the second generation iPhones in hopes that Apple will fix all the bugs and complaints with the current phones. Hopefully this rumor isn't true.

Cold Warrior
Apr 29, 2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
Where did you hear this news?
AppleInsider | Paper: 3G iPhone smaller, lighter than existing model [u]

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 01:59 PM

Okay, so I wasn't the only one cringing when hearing this news.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 02:05 PM

I could see it only if they have more than one model - a regular and a "nano?"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 02:38 PM

Throw a keyboard in the freed up space and I'd be down to 2 complaints (carrier choice and tethering).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 02:54 PM

A smaller screen won't do much for web and game UE.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 03:20 PM

With each new description of the 3G iPhone seemingly contradicting the others, it's important to recall that Apple is reported to have crafted bogus prototypes of the first-generation iPhone to show not just to Cingular/AT&T executives ahead of its release, but also its Apple's own workers. So it's entirely possible that quite a few decoy devices are making the rounds this time.

I wouldn't necessarily be mad to see a smaller footprint. While I do like the big screen of the iPhone for browsing. I don't like the phone's overall size and weight. 2.8" would be a big decrease in size though. That would work, but would make it higher than 200 ppi (if they kept the 480x320 resolution). If the font sizes and pixel sizes for images and the OS were kept the same, that'd be squint city, and it would make typing really hard.

So, I'm not convinced about the 2.8" screen size, although I could see them slightly decreasing the size nonetheless. How about 3.2"? That would be a more manageable 180 ppi.

The other possibility of course is that they just shrunk the screen size to match a lower resolution... for a different "light" model of the iPhone.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 29, 2008 at 03:45 PM. )

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
...it's entirely possible that quite a few decoy devices are making the rounds this time.
I would certainly say it's likely.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2008, 03:24 PM

With each new description of the 3G iPhone seemingly contradicting the others, it's important to recall that Apple is reported to have crafted bogus prototypes of the first-generation iPhone to show not just to Cingular/AT&T executives ahead of its release, but also its Apple's own workers. So it's entirely possible that quite a few decoy devices are making the rounds this time.
Man, I wish there were pictures of these.

vln2
Apr 29, 2008, 08:41 PM

If AT&T gives discounts this summer for choosing 2-year plan and locks the phone to their network then it means that other phones without 2-year plan could be moved after let's say 1 year to a diferent provider. Paying extra $100 or $200 may be worth that.
FORTUNE: Techland AT&T to cut the price of Apple’s new iPhone �

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 09:50 PM

smaller screen = better battery life, especially with a 3G chipset on the way.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 09:54 PM

I don't imagine Apple would reduce the screen size, but I've been wrong before.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2008, 09:58 PM

I would love to see an iPhone Nano

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 10:09 PM

I wouldn't necessarily be mad to see a smaller footprint. While I do like the big screen of the iPhone for browsing. I don't like the phone's overall size and weight.
Wait a second, didn't Jobs claim that Apple couldn't squeeze enough juice into a 3G iPhone last year, and now they're going to be introducing a 3G iPhone in a reduced form factor (meaning less room for a battery)?

As I said before, 3G wasn't added to the first-gen iPhone because Apple/AT&T didn't want to overload AT&T's network, not because of any ridiculous technical issues. Probably a smart move on their part, as neither company knew what the increased load of hundreds of thousands of iPhones would've done to 3G service, but a bummer for all of the iPhone users who had to pay for 3G service in the interim. I'm just glad that a 3G iPhone is finally here.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Wait a second, didn't Jobs claim that Apple couldn't squeeze enough juice into a 3G iPhone last year, and now they're going to be introducing a 3G iPhone in a reduced form factor (meaning less room for a battery)?

As I said before, 3G wasn't added to the first-gen iPhone because Apple/AT&T didn't want to overload AT&T's network, not because of any ridiculous technical issues. Probably a smart move on their part, as neither company knew what the increased load of hundreds of thousands of iPhones would've done to 3G service, but a bummer for all of the iPhone users who had to pay for 3G service in the interim. I'm just glad that a 3G iPhone is finally here.
Technical issues were not ridiculous, just overstated. 3G phone users still report that their talk times are less than with 2.5G phones. However, talk times in new 3G models have improved... especially in the last year.

moep
Senior User
Apr 30, 2008, 02:52 AM

Yeesh, let's hope that the display won't be shrunk. The size of the current iPhone model feels just right to me and I wouldn't want it any smaller.

For me the current keyboard in portrait mode and without the auto-correction turned on (e.g. URL fields and such) is already pushing it, reducing it in size would turn it into a PITA.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2008, 03:55 AM

I don't necessarily believe these 2.8" rumors, but it would indeed be a simple way to get power down.

And since we all expect 3G, GPS, and a whole bunch of other doohickeys in the next iPhone which of course also should be much lighter, I'm sure Apple's engineers will try to reduce every type of power consumption.
•

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 05:45 AM

Technical issues were not ridiculous, just overstated. 3G phone users still report that their talk times are less than with 2.5G phones. However, talk times in new 3G models have improved... especially in the last year.
If talk time is such an issue, and I've never found it to be such on my 3G phone, then why shrink the form factor? Keep the form factor the same and then Apple can install the largest battery possible.

Besides, imagine trying to touch-type on an even smaller iPhone screen. Maybe the form factor is going to shrink a little, but I'd be surprised if Apple really reduced screen real estate.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 07:28 AM

If talk time is such an issue, and I've never found it to be such on my 3G phone
Many people have, esp. with earlier models. Chipsets have recently been improved somewhat however.

then why shrink the form factor? Keep the form factor the same and then Apple can install the largest battery possible.
Simon already said it. A smaller screen is less power.

Besides, imagine trying to touch-type on an even smaller iPhone screen. Maybe the form factor is going to shrink a little, but I'd be surprised if Apple really reduced screen real estate.
I agree. In fact I already suggested that above. Perhaps something like a 3.2" screen, with the same resolution.

lysolman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2008, 07:35 AM

"Besides, imagine trying to touch-type on an even smaller iPhone screen."

That was the first thing I thought about. It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to decrease the size of the screen. You think people complain about touch-screen typing now, just wait for the screen to get smaller.

There is never going to be a pull-out keyboard, a fold out keyboard, a pop up and hit you in the eye keyboard. It's never been Jobs' style to pull back after touting something so hard. (taking the analog audio input off computers don't count) Putting a real keyboard on the iphone would be like adding serial and a floppy to the iMac after everyone complained about it.

In my opinion, the iphone keyboard is just as easy to use, or easier than a real keyboard on other phones or smartphones. You have to remember that you're using your thumbs or fingers on tiny ass keys, it doesn't matter if they're real or not. You spend enough time with either, and you will become good at it. I bet someone good with his/her iphone could match someone with his/her blackberry in typing.

Lastly, f1000, what 3G phones have you used, and what carrier. I've had both a SYNC and a V3xx from AT&T and both of them blew you know what in the battery department. I'm just curious as I haven't had very good luck in the battery lottery.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by lysolman View Post
"Besides, imagine trying to touch-type on an even smaller iPhone screen."

That was the first thing I thought about. It wouldn't make any sense for Apple to decrease the size of the screen. You think people complain about touch-screen typing now, just wait for the screen to get smaller.

There is never going to be a pull-out keyboard, a fold out keyboard, a pop up and hit you in the eye keyboard. It's never been Jobs' style to pull back after touting something so hard. (taking the analog audio input off computers don't count) Putting a real keyboard on the iphone would be like adding serial and a floppy to the iMac after everyone complained about it.

In my opinion, the iphone keyboard is just as easy to use, or easier than a real keyboard on other phones or smartphones. You have to remember that you're using your thumbs or fingers on tiny ass keys, it doesn't matter if they're real or not. You spend enough time with either, and you will become good at it. I bet someone good with his/her iphone could match someone with his/her blackberry in typing.

Lastly, f1000, what 3G phones have you used, and what carrier. I've had both a SYNC and a V3xx from AT&T and both of them blew you know what in the battery department. I'm just curious as I haven't had very good luck in the battery lottery.
Not that I'd necessarily buy one, but I used to have a Think Outside foldable full-size keyboard for my Handspring Visor. That'd work great with the iPhone, esp. since if the iPhone had 3G.

It wouldn't be useful for everyday stuff, but it would be good for weekend getaways, etc. if you didn't want to carry a big laptop with you.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 05:43 PM

I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 06:04 PM

with all the recent reports of the 3G iPhone, and then plastic casing, small screen sizes, and $200 price tag etc., could this just be the iPhone "nano" everyone was talking about before? I really wouldn't be surprised if Apple pulled this one out on us.

Anyone else get that feeling?

f1000
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 12:52 AM

Simon already said it. A smaller screen is less power.
Yes, but a smaller screen can still be put in the same form factor. Shrinking the overall dimensions of the device would seem to negate the battery saving benefits of a smaller screen, but this speculation is pointless. It sounds like Apple might be working on more than one device, and we may be confusing specs.

f1000
Professional Poster
May 1, 2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by lysolman View Post
AT&T / LG CU500. Battery life is about as good as was on my Moto V551, but the LG's interface is a wonder of craptacular engineering. I'm guessing that the IRS must outsource the design of its tax forms to the LG user interface team.

rgamache
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2008, 12:19 PM

I read one article indicating the reduced screen size was to conserve battery power for the 3G function. For one, I like the large screen. Typing on the smaller screen will be more difficult, especially if you have a leather case over the phone for protection. It's already tight with P's and Q's on the larger screen.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 2, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rgamache View Post
For one, I like the large screen. Typing on the smaller screen will be more difficult,
Yes agreed. I have used a friend's iPhone and think the current size is very good. I don't want it to become any smaller. I dislike it when electronics become ridiculously small. Portability and lighter weight is nice but we are not Dwarves. There is only so much smaller you can go with certain electronics without it becoming unusable.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 02:09 PM

About the smaller screen: its possible that they could reword the OS on this to only have a landscape keyboard which takes most of the screen, with maybe one line of text visible along the top of the screen. That way, typing on it would be pretty much the same as the current iPhone's portrait format keyboard.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2008, 03:40 PM

Not that I'd necessarily buy one, but I used to have a Think Outside foldable full-size keyboard for my Handspring Visor. That'd work great with the iPhone, esp. since if the iPhone had 3G.

It wouldn't be useful for everyday stuff, but it would be good for weekend getaways, etc. if you didn't want to carry a big laptop with you.
I'd like to see something like that actually (I'm guessing it will come to life once 2.0 is out). I'm guessing the iPhone could do about 70% of what I need a laptop for. It's scary to think that I consider my 12" iBook "bulky"

f1000
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
I'd like to see something like that actually (I'm guessing it will come to life once 2.0 is out). I'm guessing the iPhone could do about 70% of what I need a laptop for. It's scary to think that I consider my 12" iBook "bulky"
I intend to use my Apple Wireless Keyboard (aluminum) to do just that, once Apple updates the iPhone's Bluetooth software to allow for it. The Stowaway always seemed too flimsy and gimmicky to me.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
May 2, 2008, 04:03 PM

I intend to use my Apple Wireless Keyboard (aluminum) to do just that, once Apple updates the iPhone's Bluetooth software to allow for it. The Stowaway always seemed too flimsy and gimmicky to me.
I'm in the same boat. For my current mobile needs, which, at the moment, is only email and web use, the Touch is fine for me. Any heavy lifting I do at home.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules