Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Next iMac refresh?

Next iMac refresh?
money69
Aug 15, 2008, 03:36 PM

I was planning on buying an iMac this weekend however Im curious if anyone knows if the iMacs are due for a refresh anytime soon?

Thanks

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 15, 2008, 05:06 PM

no one knows with any precision.

They're likely to be refreshed some time after the portable machines are.

P
Aug 15, 2008, 07:02 PM

No big rumors swirling. A spec bump, with upgraded GPUs and dieshrunk CPUs, is always possible, but then it might as well come in three months time as next Tuesday.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2008, 07:41 PM

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

Product iMac
Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle
Last Release April 28, 2008
Days Since Update 110 (Avg = 211)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2008, 10:37 PM

At just 3.5 months since the last update, and the relatively high performance for mobile chips thanks to a bit of overclocking, I doubt we'll see an upgrade until early 2009.

money69  (op)
Aug 16, 2008, 02:02 AM

Thanks, Im just gonna get one tomorrow then. Im gonna go with the 24in for $1799. My last Macbook was stolen in a burglary so Ive been without a Mac so I cant wait to be back on OSX.

lenox
Senior User
Aug 19, 2008, 10:07 AM

I heard a certain prediction about an iMac quad core bump in late january. No matter - I ordered a new iMac on friday...the cpu IS upgradeable...technically....
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2008, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by lenox View Post
I heard a certain prediction about an iMac quad core bump in late january. No matter - I ordered a new iMac on friday...the cpu IS upgradeable...technically....
Yes, but not to a quad-core. The quad-core Penryn will have socket B. Current Penryns (including those in the iMac) are socket P.

That said, there's not much reason to hold off buying an iMac right now. They were just updated in April and the next update will likely be at MWSF in January. Thanks to the iMac's 1067 MHz FSB and the 3.06 GHz option, the only significant thing Cantiga has to offer to the iMac is an increased RAM ceiling. If you're certain your iMac will need an 8 GB RAM ceiling (longevity perhaps) or you absolutely need a quad-core iMac you might want to hold out until January. Anybody else is just as well off ordering now.
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM. )

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2008, 11:05 AM

yeah i am sitting in front of a 20" april refresh right now and lovin it. FCP runs a tad slow...well, compressor does, even with 4gig ram, but it's editing on the cheap, and a lot of fun too.

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

lenox
Senior User
Aug 21, 2008, 10:14 AM

Good point about the difference in sockets - I hadn't thought of that. I'm kind of considering the iMac as an interim computer...you know, until apple releases that midtower mac!
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2008, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by lenox View Post
Good point about the difference in sockets - I hadn't thought of that. I'm kind of considering the iMac as an interim computer...you know, until apple releases that midtower mac!
As much as I also would like to see such a Mac, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

P
Aug 21, 2008, 12:49 PM

The closest thing that might happen is if there is a single-socket Mac Pro with regular DDR3 RAM somewhere down the line. At triple channel RAM and 2 slots per channel, you can have 6 DIMM slots. DDR3 is supposed to peak at 16 GB per DIMM. 86 GB is a decent enough RAM ceiling. Of course we're only at 4 GB DIMMs so far, but 24 GB is still quite alright - if not up to the level of the current Mac Pro.

Forum Links
Forum Rules