Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > alu iMac - graphical glitches

alu iMac - graphical glitches
lenox
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 09:28 AM

Just received my 20" 2.66 ghz iMac last night. I haven't gotten a chance to do too much, but I noticed two graphical glitches, and wanted to know if anyone has experienced similar.

The first is pretty innocuous and deals with dialog boxes. It looks like the text areas' background color is slightly darker than that of the rest of the dialog - for instance, a dialog with 2 'blocks' of text in it actually shows the 'square blocks' behind the text. I took a screenshot of this and will post tonight. Calibrating my monitor seemed to help a lot, but it's still noticeable. You'd think the color should be exactly the same, right?

The second one is a bit more disconcerting, and deals with the 'default' selection in dialog boxes. This one is hard to get a screenshot of, but instead of 'pulsing' as the default button usually does, it's flickering rapidly and in random areas. This seems to coincide with heavy disk/bus activity (I was installing WoW, running Software Update, and doing a firewire transfer from my old mac in target disk mode).

Typically on a new mac purchase, I always play around for a bit on it, but then do a wipe and reformat. I'm thinking I made a mistake not doing that this time...or is that just superstition?

ibook_steve
Aug 27, 2008, 12:11 PM

Is it any of these (Voiceover perhaps?):

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...utions-useful/

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 12:21 PM

No..
as for the first problem, it's more like the colors don't EXACTLY match properly - no black boxes or anything. As for the second, it's a definite bona fide glitch...very flickery, random flickers of white over the button. Hopefully it won't happen again but I will keep a close eye on the machine for a week or so. Thanks for the response!
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 12:32 PM

I've seen the problem with the slightly discolored boxes around text on an external monitor. If I recall correctly, it was most obvious when using iTunes. (Carbon vs. Cocoa thing maybe?)

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
I've seen the problem with the slightly discolored boxes around text on an external monitor. If I recall correctly, it was most obvious when using iTunes. (Carbon vs. Cocoa thing maybe?)
Good call - once I calibrated my iMac's monitor ... it became nearly-unnoticeable...but you'd think it can't be that hard for the UI designers to specify a uniform color, you know? Maybe their monitors are perfectly calibrated and they don't see it at all
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2008, 01:54 PM

Are you looking at the display straight on? The sh!tty TN panels in the 20" iMacs look horrible if you're slightly off-normal.

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Are you looking at the display straight on? The sh!tty TN panels in the 20" iMacs look horrible if you're slightly off-normal.
I don't think that the "sh!tty TN panels" have anything to do with these problems. These are pixels being delivered by the graphics card, in turn by the software/firmware/whatever A panel isn't responsible for the data sent to it, just how well it's displayed and lit.

I do understand what you mean by the poor viewing angle on the 20" iMacs, and that does bug me a bit, but these are separate issues.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 03:38 PM

I know what you are talking about in terms of a darker grey behind the text. I think it is Carbon vs. Cocoa related, though not sure how. I see it in iTunes, and Photoshop CS3 most often. It looks like they didn't match the dialog box background color to the area behind text and around buttons. I had posed a thread about this earlier, I'll try to dig it up; it had a screenshot.

Edit: here's the screenshot. Its easier to tell when the window is selected, I'll try to get a pic of that.
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...or-difference/
( Last edited by 0157988944; Jan 5, 2015 at 05:37 PM. )

zykron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2008, 04:06 PM

Meh, that's normal, I have that with CS 1, it's always been there.

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Aug 27, 2008, 07:29 PM

"Normal" though it may be, it is still a bug, and thus many of us will never consider it "normal".

Edit: The question is, does EVERYONE see this same error - or just some of us?

Luckily, the other glitch that I have seen hasn't manifested itself in a bit, but I'll try to capture a screenshot or movie of it if I can.
( Last edited by lenox; Aug 27, 2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: added a question)

Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 07:42 PM

it looks cheap and crappy and looks to be a rather simple fix.

BreadRecipe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2008, 07:57 PM

I don't have that problem, although mine's a 24" iMac. I assume the problem persisted even after all of the software updates? And also, does yours tear when watching videos? Mine tears terribly in iDVD (but iDVD is a terrible program), runs better with VLC, but only with DVDs. Quicktime optimization on GPU maybe?
/sudo apt-get upgrade checking account balance <enter>...?

www.Failblog.org

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Aug 28, 2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BreadRecipe View Post
And also, does yours tear when watching videos? Mine tears terribly in iDVD (but iDVD is a terrible program), runs better with VLC, but only with DVDs. Quicktime optimization on GPU maybe?
Hm, no - I don't get that. Does your iMac have the nvidia gpu in it?
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Sep 3, 2008, 12:10 PM

The _other_ glitches are back

This time, it was happening with file names for icons. They were rapidly selecting/unselecting and flickering rapidly with white distorted blocks. A very similar glitch to the prior one but this time it actually interfered with my work in the finder. It seems to coincide with heavy disk activity but I am not certain yet.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Atheist
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2008, 01:02 PM

Sounds like your video adapter may be wonky

lenox  (op)
Senior User
Sep 12, 2008, 12:17 PM

Hmph - last night my graphics card overheated...really disconcerting. I installed smcFanControl and will keep a wary eye on things...
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Forum Links
Forum Rules