Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Switched to Blackberry, need MobileMe email help

Switched to Blackberry, need MobileMe email help
Macpilot
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2009, 12:35 PM

Hey guys.

Well I had to ditch AT&T because I travel to NYC a bunch and it is worthless there. Sucks because I was so used to the iPhone and now I at square two with this BB Tour.

I set up the email in the BB and all it asked me for was my mobileme account name/password. Unlike the iPhone Mail app where it asks you incoming/outgoing servers, POP or IMAP, etc.

Now, my mobileme and gmail are working on the BB, but, and this is a big BUT, I see no folders that I used to see on iPhone and Mac, such as Sent, Trash, etc. Also, I see no messages in the BB Inbox other than messages downloaded since I got the device yesterday. There are about 100 messages in my mobileme inbox on the server and on my Mac, but only about 10 on my BB. Can't find any settings on the device that tell me how to display all my messages and folders.

Any help greatly appreciated guys!
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2009, 08:35 PM

BIS doesn't support IMAP folders (which is how it's accessing mobileMe). If you want folders/etc you'll need a BES account, which means somewhere other than mobileMe. The old messages issue may be a server side setting (look at your providers website) or may be another limitation of BIS.

Macpilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. Well, I was fearing that was the case and now have regretting going Blackberry. Hopefully Verizon will have some decent phones out soon because these things are a joke. "Best" email device? I think not.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2009, 10:50 PM

BlackBerry earned their messaging reputation in the enterprise. If you have Exchange, Notes, or GroupWise everything just works with BES. Email, contacts, calendar, instant messaging, all pushed with full features and security policies, etc. It also works well for casual email users who don't have folders, lots of old messages in their inbox, etc. But it's not the platform for an advanced user who's on generic IMAP; Gmail has an app that I'm quite happy with to augment the built in mail capabilities.

If you're after an Android device, VZW should have the HTC Predator next month. webOS devices (Pre and Pixi) are already in the inventory system so they should also be coming soon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules