Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Oh, the horror - iCal 5.0.3

Oh, the horror - iCal 5.0.3
Stuncle Eve
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2012, 07:25 PM

I thought I was hallucinating when I opened up the new iCal for the first time & saw the fake stitched leather top bar with the little fake shreds of torn paper dangling below. Too fugly for words.

If there is no way to get rid of it, can anyone recommend a different calendar application that is not tricked out like a cheap Windows app?

Please?

P
Jul 2, 2012, 05:06 AM

I know a lot of people like BusyCal, but I always felt that it was a bit expensive for my needs.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2012, 05:17 AM

I love Fantastical. It is way cheaper than BusyCal (which is aimed at a professional audience).

Note that since Fantastical (and to my knowledge also BusyCal) work with iCal's calendars, you get all the benefits from using iCal (e. g. iCloud integration).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2012, 06:59 AM

Download Lion Tweaks.

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks, guys.

I'll try these out (one at a time) & see what works best.

Cheers.

davemchine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2012, 05:47 AM

Yah, the new ical and address book look is terrible. Whoever thought it was a good idea was on drugs. How it made it to final release is beyond me. For years people have been complaining about the lack of function in both applications and instead of improving that apple just changes the look. Big mistake. Fortunately, as pointed out above, you can remove the stitched leather look from both applications. They still look like crap but better than before. Maybe apple's lack of business market is why they don't improve these apps.

Dave

davemchine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2012, 06:01 AM

Took a look at Fantastical and it's nice. I like the simple layout and the ease of making entries, especially to-do's. What I don't like is that there doesn't seem to be a way to view an entire week at a time or to print schedules. I haven't spent very much time with it though so perhaps I'm just missing how to do these things.

I looked at the busycal website and I don't see how it is any different than ical. It looks almost identical. Can someone who uses it expand on what it's advantages are? I'm sure there are advantages but without really digging in it's hard to see.

Thanks,
Dave

Stuncle Eve  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2012, 08:08 AM

Lion Tweaks took care of the appearance issue for me - a major relief!

I might try the free trial version of BusyCal - looks kind of interesting and possibly useful.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 13, 2012, 09:57 AM

On the topic of ical - does anyone know of a way to print out an entire calendar year. I saw online a way to use terminal, and though it works, it's not so attractive.

Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2012, 08:09 AM

Just use the print command and set the "Time Range" to the calendar year.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 15, 2012, 07:21 AM

Thanks, but that prints 12 pages. I'm looking for a way to print all 12 months on one page.

Forum Links
Forum Rules