Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Recommended external Floppy Drive?

Recommended external Floppy Drive?
iBook Tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2001, 03:17 PM

My new iBook hasn't been delivered yet, but I have boxes full of Mac software that I would like to salvage if possible (a few great old games, etc.). Can anyone recommend an external USB or Firewire Floppy drive that will read 1.44MB 3.5" disks and 800K 3.5" disks?

Is it worth spending more to get the "LS-120" superdrive capability?

Thanks,

Tom

<JSD303>
Jul 20, 2001, 05:19 PM

I purchased a Macally USB floppy drive which works fine in both OS9 and OSX out of box (no driver)... It was able to read and write 1.44MB and 800k floppies!

Hope that helps.

JSD303

graffix
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2001, 07:47 PM

If you already have a previous Mac with a floppy drive and an Ethernet jack, why not just make floppy disk images with Disk Copy (free from Apple) and then copy them over the Ethernet cable to the iBook. That way you only have to buy a standard 6' Ethernet cable (the iBook jack is auto-sensing so it doesn't need a crossover cable) instead of an expensive floppy drive. You can mount the disk images just like you would a floppy disk on the desktop and install from those.
Just a suggestion, but if you're set on an external floppy, I would recommend something that reads multi-format disks, like a SuperDisk or similar.
good luck.
g.
First there was man, then there was Macintosh

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Jul 21, 2001, 11:02 AM

I just bought a Que Super240 super disk drive. I needed the added SuperDisk capabilities, but it's a good regular floppy too. It's well designed as a portable floppy drive.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

iBook Tom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2001, 12:08 PM

If you already have a previous Mac with a floppy drive and an Ethernet jack, why not just make floppy disk images with Disk Copy (free from Apple) and then copy them over the Ethernet cable to the iBook. That way you only have to buy a standard 6' Ethernet cable (the iBook jack is auto-sensing so it doesn't need a crossover cable) instead of an expensive floppy drive. You can mount the disk images just like you would a floppy disk on the desktop and install from those.
I thought of that, but after we trim down to the iBook, the plan is to get rid of the other 4 desktop Macs taking up way too much space in the house.

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules