Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > External mic . . .

External mic . . .
michael180
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2011, 02:28 PM

I want to use an external mic, for a voiceover in an iMovie project. But I don't find that I have the option for an external mic. When I go to System Preferences, and click the Sound option, there is nothing there for an external mic. Am I missing something?

P
Jan 22, 2011, 02:52 PM

On the "sound in " tab, I have several options. What sort of hardware do you have?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

michael180  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
On the "sound in " tab, I have several options. What sort of hardware do you have?
I only show four options. I have a MacPro. The particular mic I'm trying to use is not a USB, but rather one that plugs into analog audio in connector.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2011, 03:43 PM

SOUND>Input>Line In

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2011, 04:15 PM

The line in expects a line signal. Mic signals will not work without a preamplifier.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2011, 04:14 PM

Interesting. This from Mac Help:

Changing your computer’s sound input device
You can input sound into your computer using your computer’s internal microphone, your display’s internal microphone, or an external microphone. For example, you may want to use an external microphone to record your voice or use your computer’s built-in microphone to give spoken commands to your computer.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2011, 05:21 PM

If you use an Apple iPhone headset or any microphone with a compatible tip-ring-ring-sleeve plug, you can plug it into the headphone OUTPUT on any of the newer Macs, and it will work.

The line input is a LINE input, and will not work with unamplified microphone signals.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
Interesting. This from Mac Help:

Changing your computer’s sound input device
You can input sound into your computer using your computer’s internal microphone, your display’s internal microphone, or an external microphone. For example, you may want to use an external microphone to record your voice or use your computer’s built-in microphone to give spoken commands to your computer.
That's right. It could be a mike with line-level output, or a mike hooked up through a mixer, or through an external audio interface, or a USB mike. But not a cheap PC mike.

Forum Links
Forum Rules