Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do i quit the Mac OS X 10.8.2 Software Updater App on my computer when an update is running

How do i quit the Mac OS X 10.8.2 Software Updater App on my computer when an update is running
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2012, 05:10 PM

This may seem like an odd question, but i just ran the updater on my computer and it showed 3 updates. I selected all 3 updates and hit install. But my internet connection is running slow, and it says the download will take 6 hours. Maybe Apple's server is backed up, who knows.

so now i want to quit the update process and do it another day. problem is, i can't seem to find a way to quit the updater. when i try to quit out, it get messages that say "Cannot quit while updates are in progress: OS updates must be complete before the App Store can quit."

Yikes. I"m trapped.

anyone experience this?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2012, 07:26 PM

Yep, trapped On the other hand, think of it this way: the upgrades will just continue in the background, this way you don't have to futz with it again, in the meantime you can do whatever you want on your machine. When it's ready to update it will either just do that, or for certain upgrades you'll need to restart, and you'll be notified, at which point you can choose when you wish to do that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2012, 11:47 PM

What might work in cases like these is to just turn off Airport.

The update system HAS TO have a failsafe in the event that the network connection is lost or unstable. As I recall, it will just resume downloading at the last verified point when the network connection is restored. The entire update is checksum-verified before being installed anyway.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2012, 04:07 AM

My computer is using Ethernet.
The internet speed got so low, it started to creep into the 10 hour range. and all i wanted to do is shut off the computer for the night. i don't leave it running.

to get around this, i force quit out of the App Store (which is where the updater runs from now). Since it was just downloading (not installing) i didn't think a force quit would negatively affect anything.

with that said, there really should be a cancel button, especially if it's only at a download stage.

common Apple!
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Forum Links
Forum Rules