Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Rumor: iPad mini to start at $329

Rumor: iPad mini to start at $329
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 20, 2012, 12:12 PM

When Apple unveils the iPad mini next week, it may be priced at a premium above the 7-inch tablets it is meant to compete against. News outlets are citing unnamed sources that say pricing for the smaller iPad will start at a minimum of $329, though information on the device's capabilities is as yet unavailable. These reports have the new smaller iPad topping out at $659, with the high-end models having the highest storage capacity as well as cellular connectivity.

9to5Mac claims that its source has tipped a $329 baseline price for the forthcoming smaller iPad. That would position the new device between the fifth-generation iPod touch and Apple's current cheapest iPad, the 16GB iPad 2. The new, smaller iPad is said to come in three memory configurations and two color options. It will also come in a Wi-Fi-only model and a version sporting either 3G or 4G connectivity. Should this pricing model bear out, it would mean that Apple's new smaller tablet would be priced significantly above its competition. The iPad mini is expected to feature a 7.85-inch screen, giving it a good deal more display space than the 7-inch screens found on the Kindle Fire and Nexus 7. The rumored prices, though, would place the baseline iPad mini at about a 30 percent higher price point than a 16GB Nexus 7 and 65 percent higher than a 16GB Kindle Fire HD.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2012, 02:47 PM

At $329, one can assume a minimum of 16GB of storage and hopefully a Retina display (1600x1200). Otherwise, it's unlikely to benchmark well against the competition or the full-sized iPad.

iphonerulez
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2012, 02:59 PM

$659 for a high-end iPad Mini!! I can already feel the hate getting ready to be unleashed by the Droidbois. There's no way they can fathom Apple should charge that much for a 7" tablet. I just hope Apple sells them by the millions... I meant tens of millions.

Peter Bonte
Oct 21, 2012, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Zanziboy View Post
At $329, one can assume a minimum of 16GB of storage and hopefully a Retina display (1600x1200). Otherwise, it's unlikely to benchmark well against the competition or the full-sized iPad.
I don't know, yet another resolution? The best option would be to keep the iPad 2 resolution of 1024×768 pixels so nothing has to be changed to the software and keep the price down, $329 is to high. $249 for 8 GB would be ideal and Apple could still make a decent profit on them.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2012, 09:00 AM

Price is hardly a factor for Apple products. If it was then nothing would sell as the Laptops, Desktops, iPhone and iPad are all more expensive machines in the class they sit in. People buy Apple for the quality, the usability, the eco-system, the tech support, the culture. It would be nice if the iPad mini was 250.00 but its still going to sell at $330.00. And most people who complain about it being xxx more expensive then a Nexus, most will bite and purchase it anyways.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

dpicardi
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2012, 09:10 AM

$329 for ANY spec'd entry model is DOA.
8GB is DOA too. I'd be shocked if Apple came out with an iPad that had that level of Memory...unless it is also including a microSD slot.

If Apple is to be competitive, pricing needs to be close to...

$249 for 16GB non-retina display feels about right (this is $50 more than the fireHD) but Apple might come out at $299...
$349 or $399 for 32GB
$449 or $499 for 64GB.

Ideally this product is the one Parents give to their kids...the sweet spot for that is $199...Amazon capitalized on that pricing...I hope Apple eventually gets there too. I'd love to give my kid an iPad mini for christmas...but there is no way I'm spending $329 for a base model...I doubt many parents can afford that.

Peter Bonte
Oct 23, 2012, 11:05 AM

$329 is a lot but i think Apple will get away with that and it's not that hard to lower the price to $299 later on. I just think that they can't produce enough mini's at a lower price point, we're talking 10 million per quarter at this price, at $249 they would need 30 million.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2012, 12:17 AM

I agree Apple will get away with it. Apple knows you can always cut a price, but you can never get away with raising it. And, one of the factors working in Apple's favor is Foxconn's difficulty achieve the production figure. The initial high price will allow supply and demand to meet during the Christmas quarter while leaving sufficient profit margin to update the iPad Mini next year with a Retina display and NFC without a price increase. - Perhaps it will come with a price drop!

Peter Bonte
Oct 26, 2012, 07:30 AM

Nah, NFC is unusable for Apple, the antenna is to big and the shell can't be in metal for it to work. I think that a price drop next year and other colors would be the best upgrade for the mini.

Forum Links
Forum Rules