Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mavericks is free

Mavericks is free
Thorzdad
Oct 22, 2013, 01:25 PM

Just announced at the Apple event... that the 10.9 Mavericks update is free.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2013, 01:31 PM

I feel like this demonstrates how much value they find in the computer line. That or there's some money making trick int here I don't know about.

andi*pandi
Oct 22, 2013, 01:34 PM

or they really want people to update, so they can run some other new paid software?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I feel like this demonstrates how much value they find in the computer line. That or there's some money making trick int here I don't know about.
I can only guess that there's a google-like information gathering thingy in there somewhere that could make money.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 01:47 PM

Don't mean to be an asshole [insert Louis CK bit here], but my threads get moved when there's a more appropriate forum and I have to suffer through 3 people seeing them a week. And there's already an existing and active thread on the Apple event. Just sayin.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Don't mean to be an asshole [insert Louis CK bit here], but my threads get moved when there's a more appropriate forum and I have to suffer through 3 people seeing them a week. And there's already an existing and active thread on the Apple event. Just sayin.
BUT MAVERICKS IS FREE!

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2013, 02:21 PM

Just downloaded Maverick. So snappy. Makes my 2009 Mac Pro hum.....
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2013, 02:27 PM

IOS7 is free too and it's terrible
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 02:39 PM

I have to agree this is about as "Mac OS" of a thread as you can get.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 22, 2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
They probably just want to make fun of WIndows 8's adoption rate by getting every Mac from the last 5 years on Mavericks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 03:58 PM

I wish Apple would make Snow Lep free. Now that's an OS.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 22, 2013, 04:05 PM

I have install discs going back to Jaguar...do you actually need to install SL on something?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
IOS7 is free too and it's terrible
Hahaha.

Get over it.

(Or, more likely: just install it yourself and give it a week.)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Hahaha.

Get over it.

(Or, more likely: just install it yourself and give it a week.)
Does his thinking this way bother you?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I have install discs going back to Jaguar...do you actually need to install SL on something?
No. Though thanks for the implied offer.

I just always thought Apple should stop charging for deprecated OSes.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 05:17 PM

They're just trolling Microsoft.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I wish Apple would make Snow Lep free. Now that's an OS.
Snow Leopard is such a great system, very clean and fast. I'm leery of ML.

OreoCookie
Oct 22, 2013, 05:47 PM

I must say, I'm impressed. Safari is noticeably improved. Everything feels much, much zippier. Also the fact that hiding Safari pretty much pushes its appetite for CPU cycles to zero. I'll take it for a more detailed spin later, but so far, I'm a happy camper!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 05:51 PM

Nice job breaking it, hero.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Does his thinking this way bother you?
No, his complaining about it does, though.

This is the Mavericks-costs-zero-dollars-to-upgrade-to circlejerk.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 06:03 PM

No, his complaining about it does, though.

This is the Mavericks-costs-zero-dollars-to-upgrade-to circlejerk.

Why does it have to be a circlejerk?

You really come across as ideologically invested in all things Mac. If that's your thing, just as I've had to deal with people calling me a Linux fanboy (and making arguments against Desktop Linux which I've barely ever touched), you might get that Mac fanboy branding.

More than anything though, the whole ideological thing fascinates me, I'd like to better understand it. I used to be that way too, so I'm not trying to sound elitist or enlightened. In fact, I'm not exactly sure why or when I changed, but at this point I just don't get the ideological thing, particularly since more and more the OS is becoming an increasingly irrelevant part of a computing experience when compared to the richness of the apps we use.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 06:49 PM

You didn't get the self-deprecating aspect of calling this a circle-jerk at all, did you?

Why are you hell-bent on painting me as a fanboy just because I'm annoyed at people whining at how iOS 7 hurts their sensibilities?

There are about three things that are worse in iOS 7 than in iOS 6, and hundreds that are better. Nearly everything the people whine about who haven't even installed iOS 7 yet are things that are just different, not worse.

If you have legit complaints: great. There's a forum for that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 07:14 PM

You didn't get the self-deprecating aspect of calling this a circle-jerk at all, did you?
No, sorry.

Why are you hell-bent on painting me as a fanboy just because I'm annoyed at people whining at how iOS 7 hurts their sensibilities?

There are about three things that are worse in iOS 7 than in iOS 6, and hundreds that are better. Nearly everything the people whine about who haven't even installed iOS 7 yet are things that are just different, not worse.
You just answered your own question.

To those that prefer iOS 6, this is their preference, and it doesn't need to be challenged unless they make a specific point that is simply false.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2013, 07:22 PM

If you have legit complaints: great. There's a forum for that.
I installed iOS 7 on my iPad 2.

I hate it, so I didn't install it on my iPhone.

How much of a bad person does that make me?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2013, 10:49 PM

Worst part of iOS7 is the calendar. There is no way to view the entire month and the events of a specific day at the same time. man, i miss that calendar.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2013, 12:51 AM

Installed Mavericks and the other updates, except iMovie. It says my iMac's ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB does not meet the system requirements.

iMovie for Mac requires OS X Mavericks, 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended), an OpenCL-capable graphics card, and a display with 1280-by-800 resolution or higher
it looks like the HD2600 is not open CL capable. It does 1680x1050
45/47

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2013, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I installed iOS 7 on my iPad 2.

I hate it, so I didn't install it on my iPhone.

How much of a bad person does that make me?
None at all, primarily since you don't take every opportunity, whether relevant or not, to pipe up about how terrible it is.

P
Oct 23, 2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
No. Though thanks for the implied offer.

I just always thought Apple should stop charging for deprecated OSes.
You can get SL for free, though: If you have Leopard and want to use iCloud, you can contact iCloud support and they will hook you up with a copy of SL for free so you can upgrade to Lion using the App Store.

I agree that SL and Tiger PPC would be good versions to put on a server somewhere to let people download to their heart's content, much like 7.5.3 was eventually made free.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2013, 09:59 AM

Installed yesterday. So far, Spotlight hasn't indexed anything and I never realized how much I use it to quick-launch everything. Also, Preview.app hangs whenever I try and open a photo, but it's impossible to search for "Mavericks Preview" and get any results I want.

Activity Monitor is totally revamped.

Thorzdad  (op)
Oct 23, 2013, 10:02 AM

Just heard on another forum that 10.9 deletes any previous Java installs. They discovered this when, after they installed 10.9, they tried to launch one of their Adobe CS5 apps and got a prompt to install Java 6, which CS5 requires.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Installed Mavericks and the other updates, except iMovie. It says my iMac's ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro 256 MB does not meet the system requirements.
iMovie for Mac requires OS X Mavericks, 2GB of RAM (4GB recommended), an OpenCL-capable graphics card, and a display with 1280-by-800 resolution or higher
it looks like the HD2600 is not open CL capable. It does 1680x1050
Update: iMovie rev 10.0 installed this morning. 9.0.9 is in folder as is iMove HD
45/47

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

Opinions from the gurus about whether I should update to Mavericks on a Feb 2007 20" iMac?

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Got 4GB RAM but it only sees 3.
256MB VRAM

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2013, 01:30 PM

runs fine on my 2.16 GHz 24" machine.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2013, 01:36 PM

I'm waiting to hear before putting it on my MBA - 2.0 C2D and locked in at 2GB of RAM. The SSD makes everything snappy enough but I'll hold off upgrading until I'm sure it's a good idea.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2013, 02:56 PM

I did a fresh install on a 2007 20" iMac with SSD and 6GB RAM. I have not yet noticed a vast difference in performance from 10.8, but my time working on it has been cut back the past couple days. It certainly did not seem slower.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 3, 2013, 09:41 AM

Battery life went down by about 10%-20% on my Macbook Air since upgrading to 10.9

(edit: this may have just been a mis-calculation of battery life since Spotlight had been doing a lot of indexing prior)
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Nov 3, 2013 at 04:52 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 10:15 AM

I installed Mavericks on my old Mid 2007 iMac, not expecting much. Complete fresh install.

To my surprise, my iMac is running much better and is more responsive.
VIrtual Memory handling specifically is much improved.

As a matter of fact, I was ready to buy a new iMac because the old one was too slow. Now with Mavericks, I might wait another year.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 03:39 PM

The update is night and day on my production machine (early 2011 13" i7 MacBook Pro) . Logic X runs so much more smoothly that it isn't funny. It also uses FAR less RAM.

The last project I'd completed was a 150-minute live mix that would page out to disk like crazy even after upgrading the machine to 16 GB.
In Mavericks, it uses 7GB of RAM, and page-outs are a whopping 86 MEGAbytes.

At some point, a big SSD, and this machine looks like it might last me a year or two longer than I'd expected it to even two weeks ago.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2013, 04:00 PM

The machine uses far less RAM or Logic X uses less RAM? If the later, I really don't understand how an OS update would make software on that OS use less RAM.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2013, 04:07 PM

One primary job of an OS is memory management, to include allocation, bookkeeping (who has what at any given time), and deallocation. If the OS manages the bookkeeping better, it can allocate and deallocate more quickly and more efficiently, so memory requests don't stack up and have an application "using" a lot more RAM addresses than it actually uses.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Nov 3, 2013, 04:11 PM

A couple of reboots later and Mavericks seems snappier (and same battery life as with 10.8.5-ish)...Maybe it was just Spotlight running in the background causing slowness though I didn't see it indexing

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
The machine uses far less RAM or Logic X uses less RAM? If the later, I really don't understand how an OS update would make software on that OS use less RAM.
Logic uses a fraction of what it did.

Activity Viewer also shows some 8 GB of "compressed" memory.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
One primary job of an OS is memory management, to include allocation, bookkeeping (who has what at any given time), and deallocation. If the OS manages the bookkeeping better, it can allocate and deallocate more quickly and more efficiently, so memory requests don't stack up and have an application "using" a lot more RAM addresses than it actually uses.
This is true, up to a point. If we're talking UNIX type OSes : start up (for example) Oracle and a certain amount of memory is allocated. Oracle manages this memory. It decides what is put into it, to change the sizes of different pools etc. But Oracle will also tell the OS not to swap out some stuff, so it controls some things that it wants kept in 'real' memory as opposed to virtual memory. If the OS was updated, but not the software (Logic X) then is the OS saying 'I know better, I'm going to swap out more stuff belonging to Logic X'?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 04:48 PM

To be fair, I suspect that this may be a Logic issue, as well.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 3, 2013, 04:51 PM

Calendars is much snappier, new events are easier to make, and instantly updates my iPod correctly (no re-load waits)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 05:52 PM

mattyb: I don't understand how it works in intimate detail, but Mavericks features memory compression. I don't know if this is anything like file compression that operates largely based on white space, but...

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2013, 06:21 PM

I just checked and I'm still (apparently) having a problem with Calendar. I decided to put my calendars in iCloud so I wouldn't have to worry about updating my computer after I've made an entry on my phone, etc., but when I changed the setting for iCloud in Settings then started Calendar, it started "Moving calendars to server account"...and it hasn't finished. I de-selected iCloud calendars and killed Calendar - several times - and it's still trying. I'm going to reboot later and see if that fixes/undoes/changes it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Mavericks uses memory compression. It is FAR advanced in general memory handling and management.

http://www.apple.com/osx/advanced-technologies/

Rats, Besson beat me to it.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 3, 2013, 06:37 PM

My Calendar issue seems to be resolved. After a restart I started Calendar and it still came up with the "Moving to server account" message, but then it (finally, I guess) asked me for my iCloud password. After I entered that, it finished "moving" in less than a minute. I'm a much happier camper.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Rats, Besson beat me to it.

-t

That's because I am better than you.

-b

Forum Links
Forum Rules