Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Synchronizing mail across 3 computers

Synchronizing mail across 3 computers
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2009, 11:52 PM

I've got 3 macs in my store and I want to have all the e-mail synchronized between them. For example, if I send a message on one, it shows up in the sent mail on all the others. That way every computer has the same folders, messages etc. and we can use any one and see the exact same thing. How is the easiest way to do this? I don't mind upgrading to Mac OS X Server if necessary. My e-mail addresses are hosted on a remote server and I don't have access to IMAP so for now at least they will stay there. I only have a DSL connection with a non-static IP so I don't think I can host the mail servers locally anyway. Any suggestions appreciated.

I also want to be able to see the files on the main Home folder on all computers simultaneously so we can go to any computer and always see the same thing. There doesn't need to be multiple users.

Cold Warrior
Feb 9, 2009, 11:57 PM

you could sign up for gmail. Lots of storage and stable IMAP support. Configure Gmail to check your other account(s) to get your email into Gmail.

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009, 12:01 AM

this is a business, i need my mail saved locally and backed up each night.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2009, 12:02 AM

you can still save it in apple mail so you can view it offline. gmail is the way to go.
Bow chicka bow-wow

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2009, 12:08 AM

i don't want to use gmail. surely there is a way to do it with Mac OS X Server.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2009, 12:55 AM

You need IMAP accounts. Whether these are accounts you control yourself using OS X Server, or any other email provider, I see no point in attempting anything else other than IMAP.

larkost
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2009, 01:07 AM

IMAP is really the way to go, and regardless of how you wind up getting it, that it the final route to go.

MacOS X Server will nicely serve as an IMAP server. But setting up and running a mail server (even one as nice as the bundled one that Apple has setup) is still going to involve a learning curve. If you can pay someone a small amount of money to make sure that things are always working properly then it is probably money well spent.

And Google does provide a (for pay) service where you have your own domain name but it points at Google's servers for the back end. You get the google applications and mail. You might want to look into it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2009, 01:10 AM

larkost: if your company has sensitive data, you definitely do not want this data on Google's servers, period. Not only because there is a risk of it falling into the wrong hands, but because there are legal risks.
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 10, 2009 at 01:16 AM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 10:40 PM

I'm surprised.

You need this for business, but are stuck with a (amateur) provider that does NOT offer IMAP ?

Find a professional provider with IMAP.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 11:16 AM

The price of Google Apps is pretty steep, too - $50 per account per year, no thanks. That would be passable if you only had one or two accounts, but otherwise that fee really would start to suck, especially when you can find decent hosts with ample email offerings for as little around $10 a month.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules