Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Black MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Black MacBook or MacBook Pro?
alain_30_alain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2007, 11:34 PM

Hello, I am a high school student and I will buy a Apple Laptop.
But I don't know what should I buy, because money is not a problem for me and I really like the Black MacBook and the MacBook Pro...
But I dont know wich one to choose..

13" 2.0Ghz Black Black MacBook
or
15" 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro

I used to have a HP DV2020CA and it was a good one but I'd like to buy a Mac so I really don't know wich one to choose.

I read in forums that the MacBook Pro isn't that good because the pixels of the screen dies, the Magsafe adapter melts, the paint gets off, the keyboard gives you electric shocks.....

Heres the website where I found all this.:MacBook Pro - Appledefects

Can you help me choose what MacBook should be better for me?

Thanks!!
/alain

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2007, 04:13 AM

In every line-up, there are defective units that have to be replaced. Both Macbooks and Macbook Pros have had their share, just like all other manufacturers.

That said, I took a lot of time deciding myself, and eventually got the 15.4" MBP 2.33 GHz. It is truly an awesome machine, coming with all the RAM you'll need (2 GB) and a good video card. And if you're going to do a lot of typing, I think the MBP keyboard has a better tactile feel (although the Macbook one is still good and very nice example of Apple engineering).

That, and the glossy Macbook screen might annoy you in rooms with bright lighting.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 05:04 AM

None of the things you mentioned are inherent to the MBP. As CaptainHaddock pointed out, you can always get a lemon. A MB might come just as faulty (the same site you link to also has a whole list of MB issues for that matter).

I own both a 2.33 GHz MBP and a black MB. I like them both a lot. The MB is more compact, but the MBP performs better. The MB looks sexy and has a beautiful closing mechanism, while the MBP offers more ports/expansion. Installing a new HDD is easier on a MB, but adding a DIMM is easier on a MBP.

If you say money isn't an issue, you should only get the MB if you're really concerned about saving those extra 1.32 inches of width and 0.68 inches in depth or if you absolutely want a black Mac.

OTOH if money really isn't an issue at all go ahead and get both. Use both. Compare them. Find out which one you like to use most. Keep that one. Sell the other one on Ebay.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 07:05 AM

I would also like to add that I think you should look at the MBP screen and see if you can live with it. Personally I could not because of a very apparent 'grain appearance' that probably comes from the antireflective coating used on that particular display. I'd take the Macbook reflections any day over that. The 17" has a much display than the 15 but I wouldn't recommend that machine for anybody who wants portability.
I think I would be inclined to go with the macbook if I were you...

voth
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 08:08 AM

You need to ask yourself 'What am I planning on doing with this?' first before you go out and buy anything.

- Since you're in high school chances are you aren't going to be doing anything real intensive with your laptop. Probably web, e-mail, instant messaging, etc.
- Do you plan on using this laptop throughout high school and beyond (i.e. college)?
- What are your hobbies? (i.e. photography, audiophile (creating/mixing your own music, or developer)
- Have you have had a chance to go into a Apple retail store or CompUSA to look at these laptops side-by-side?
- If you happen to choose the MacBook look at both display options before purchasing. Get the pros and cons from a sales rep, and from others.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2007, 08:21 AM

High school? You really don't need that much hardware in high school, and you probably don't want to flaunt a brand new, expensive notebook. MacBooks make sense for high school. I'd even recommend seeing if you can find a really cheap iBook G4. Save money now and then resell what you got when you want something better for college. Unless you really want to play demanding games or have money to burn from your parents, I wouldn't even think about a MBP.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by alain_30_alain View Post
I read in forums that the MacBook Pro isn't that good because the pixels of the screen dies, the Magsafe adapter melts, the paint gets off, the keyboard gives you electric shocks.....

I didn't know that the pixels die. Odd.

---

I also agree with Big Mac.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 08:32 PM

The MBP is a far better box, and about as portable because it only weighs 6 ounces more than the much less competent MB. More screen real estate, more pixels, FW800, real graphics card, Express Card slot, etc. The higher end MBP is better value if you may be processing heavy graphics like Aperture or Photoshop; also you do want at least 2 GB RAM. In a student environment one does not typically know what app may be important a year from now, so having the high end gives more flexibility as well as longer life cycle.

As to "defects," they are uncommon and easily resolved by the 14-day no-questions-asked return policy plus a one year warranty. Folks that make big issue of such things pretty much have nothing else to whine about. Duh - if there is anything that you don't like about a new Apple laptop, just send it back!

The idea of "grainy" displays on early 15" MBPs has been raised by a very small percentage of users. Personally I am a pro photographer accustomed to being visually critical and I have been unable to see the alleged grain in any display I have looked at. And even the complainers have not found grain in the glossy displays. Just use your own eyes and choose your display.

Suggesting that a MBP is inappropriate, too much computer for any given high school student is ridiculous. A MBP is ideal, any mobile student environment just takes a little extra attention to security. I recommend a sleeve type case that fits in a backpack, or a backpack made for laptops.

-Allen Wicks

marios
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 11:27 AM

I have had both in a 2-week period of time and I can say that the 13" macbook in black rocks! At first I bought the 15" macbook pro but I noticed that it was getting really hot. I dont know if that was normal or nor but to me it was a little bit too much. After using it for week or so I thought I should return it (fortunately ipelagos had only a small restocking fee) and I got the black macbook. I am now so crazy about it since it's much sleeker and despite the fact that it's only 13'' screen it feels like it's 15. It's so compact yet so powerful. I would recommend this notebook to anyone without any reservations. Now I'm having a little difficulty installing the windows on it but hopefully I'll get around it. The bad thing is that here in Cyprus I dont know many people who use a mac to help me.

alain_30_alain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2007, 09:46 PM

First of all, THANKS TO ALL that wrote their comments to help me choose the right MacBook that is right for me!

Marios, I went at the Apple Store and I've noticed that the MacBook Pro was pretty hot and the Black MacBook wasn't. And I really like both of them.

I must admit that I actually own a HP DV2020 (14 inch screen) and personally, I think that 13" is too small and 15" screen is too big, because I will bring my laptop sometimes at school.

Finally, even if the 15" MacBook Pro gets really hot I need the good graphic card, processor speed, FireWire 800, that comes with the MacBook Pro, because I make videos, music, play games and I need the Performance and add-ons that comes with the MacBook Pro. So I really don't know wich one to choose..... Argggggh!

I really need to think.
Thanks again for helping me!
alain.
 MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
 20-inch Cinema Display
 iPod Shuffle 512MB
 iPod Video 30GB

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2007, 06:27 AM

One other thing to consider. According to Macintouch.com's reader survey, the repair rate on the current C2D Macbooks is about 11%, and the repair rate on the current 15" Macbook Pros is about 5%. There is a definite build quality difference when you buy Apple's pro machines.

(For reference, the industry average is about 15%.)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHaddock View Post
One other thing to consider. According to Macintouch.com's reader survey, the repair rate on the current C2D Macbooks is about 11%, and the repair rate on the current 15" Macbook Pros is about 5%. There is a definite build quality difference when you buy Apple's pro machines.

(For reference, the industry average is about 15%.)
I don't think those figures are all using the same metric...

ConsumerReport's latest polling (50100 responses in November 2006) shows all of the big players in the industry between 15 and 18% (with a note that differences of less than 3% are not meaningful) for repair rate on laptops. Sony is the only brand below 17% (at 15%) and Apple is with the rest of the "pack" at 18%.
Desktops are a different story, where the average is about 17% and Apple is down at 11% (based on 77700 responses)

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
ConsumerReport's latest polling (50100 responses in November 2006) shows all of the big players in the industry between 15 and 18% (with a note that differences of less than 3% are not meaningful) for repair rate on laptops. Sony is the only brand below 17% (at 15%) and Apple is with the rest of the "pack" at 18%.
Well, Consumer Reports has a larger sample size, and might be polling a wider range of laptops. Macintouch had the first generation Macbook Pro (Core Duo) at something like 25%, if I recall. Adding those in would change the overall average, but the newer MBPs seem to be pretty robust.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2007, 12:07 PM

I still think 5% is a suspiciously low figure... is that an annualized failure rate or absolute? The C2D MBPs haven't been out that long, so an absolute rate would show them at the top of any pile.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 12, 2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Desktops are a different story, where the average is about 17% and Apple is down at 11% (based on 77700 responses)
Even if Apple has the same mount of problems as everyone else, your next step is to look at the poll on quality for Tech Support. Apple has routinely been #1.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 02:19 PM

Anyone that says that when you are in high school you do not need anything more than something for Web browsing, aim, etc. shouldn't really say that.

It depends on if your a spoiled little brat who gets everything they want, then that usually mean they don't use the mac to it's full potential, you are correct there. I have seen many people who get their daddies to buy them their blackbooks because they like the color, right before they get their fance german cars, yes i spent some time at a private school.

But I know many students, 9-12th grade who use their macs for extreme photo editing, and intsense sound work, those are the people who cherish their macs and deserve them.

Otherwise, just get an iBook g3 and don't complain.

If you want my opinion, get the MBP, you get all those little add-on features you were talking about, the size is still great for taking around, it's not that much heavier than the MB, and it is nice if you stand next to it and the 17", then you will realize how the size is almost perfect. Plus, you get the choice of glossy and matte.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2007, 07:28 PM

I have both - the MBP I almost treat like a desktop at home - hooked up to a 22" monitor etc.

I like the black MB for size at work. (I realize it is not that much smaller. I'm neurotic.) Flip open. Pound away. Flip shut. Go for coffee.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by pcryan5 View Post
I have both - the MBP I almost treat like a desktop at home - hooked up to a 22" monitor etc.

I like the black MB for size at work. (I realize it is not that much smaller. I'm neurotic.) Flip open. Pound away. Flip shut. Go for coffee.
awesome, i was actually thinking about doing this setup.

alain_30_alain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
But I know many students, 9-12th grade who use their macs for extreme photo editing, and intsense sound work, those are the people who cherish their macs and deserve them.

Otherwise, just get an iBook g3 and don't complain.
Well, I am playing in a music band (so i'll use Garage Band), skateboarding (will do videos/footages with iMovie or maybe Final Cut Pro) playing a few games (not really demanding games ex: Diablo II, GTA: San Andreas, FIFA 2005)

I don't even think about iBooks or PowerBooks G3s or G4s because I wont be able to install Windows XP via BootCamp, for playing games.

Thanks.
alain.
 20-inch Cinema Display
 iPod Shuffle 512MB
 iPod Video 30GB

alain_30_alain  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sub View Post
It depends on if your a spoiled little brat who gets everything they want, then that usually mean they don't use the mac to it's full potential, you are correct there. I have seen many people who get their daddies to buy them their blackbooks because they like the color.
Well for your information I work and it's not my first Mac.
alain.
 20-inch Cinema Display
 iPod Shuffle 512MB
 iPod Video 30GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules