Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo: 7 years and still running

Pismo: 7 years and still running (Page 2)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2007, 10:53 PM

Did this thread just happen? Or am I dreaming?

midwinter
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2007, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Did this thread just happen? Or am I dreaming?
I'm pretty sure it did.

lordarka
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
It would be also interesting to know how many (and how long) MacBook(Pro) users use the recording capabilities of a Superdrive while being mobile. For me a Superdrive is a mechanically complex, energy consuming, and somehow heavy piece of hardware for a mobile computer, but sure, there are reasons (for me unknow) to include such a drive.
I would not buy a Mac that did not have an integrated optical drive. As a backup and data access function, and for use on long flights, an optical drive is a necessity, to my mind. Moving from a DVD-R to a Combo Drive would probably not give me substantial weight benefit for the loss of functionality.

I always thought the 12" PB was a great format. Too bad I have become so accustomed to the stellar performance of my MBP... I can get almost 4h of battery life on it, which is better than what most of my friends get with their Windows only notebooks.

Arka C.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2007, 12:11 AM

one thing for sure, the SCREEN on the pismo sucked, compared to:
12" aluminum powerbook
15" aluminum powerbook (which sadly, even blows away my 12" screen)
the macbook & macbook pro screens.

not to mention speed, power, weight, etc....

loved my pismo, miss it not a bit...
( Last edited by fisherKing; Mar 3, 2007 at 09:09 AM. )
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

darkmatter  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 02:24 PM

You are correct, the MBP is exactly 1", it is not "less than 1 inch", even Apple's online store states it is 1". Of course the Pismo is 1.7 inches thick.
Yep, that's .1 inches average reduction per year.

In this days of incredible hardware electronics I find amazing that it is still necessary after, say, 4 hours of battery life, to worry about charging the laptop's battery (...and search energy at the hotel, bus, taxi, train, plane, airport, tank station, middle of desert, jungle or somewhere moving in the world), or to carry a second or third or extra charged batteries, not to mention carrying the implicated and already bulky P.S. As I see my needs on mobile computing are not very compatible with the ones of the market.

My archaic mobile needs are still nearly meet by the 6-8 hour life that 2 batteries provide to my Pismo. Connectivity is granted by a PCMCIA GSM card. FW ports are very useful too. Yes I know, it's a bit heavy, bulky and nearly perfect in size. In my case, complex data and computing power very hungry applications are quick processed and beautifully visualized at home and office computers.

With respect and thanks to all your thoughts, specially the people that kept this thread away of a passional and a non mature debate, best Regards and enjoy the all the high tech features, power and innovation of your MBs and MBPs.

Hope that it was healthy to celebrate Pismo 7 years of heavy duty.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by pete View Post
Just so I understand you correctly: are you saying that it's better to have less LCD tilt, shorter battery life, weaker wireless reception, more difficult to swap hard drive, less expandability, less evenly illuminated displays and more difficult to press clicking buttons??

Or are you simply saying that I'm wrong with the above?

My LCD tilt is perfectly adequate. The screen is far and away better than a Pismo. Brighter, higher res, lighting that's just as even, better color saturation. Wireless reception is about the same or so it seems. Battery life is actually better on my MBP than either my PBG4 or Pismo. I also find the button much, much better than either of the two machines list above. On top of that, it's got a better keryboard, a superdrive, it's much faster, better looking (subjective, I realize), thinner, and cost a full $1000 less than my Pismo, purchased in February 2000.

Beat that with a stick.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
If you only use Word, yeah sure the Pismo probably seems just as fast. I've got a G4 1.5 GHz PBook and a MBP. The MBP runs rings around the PB with every intensive app I use. Aperture? WAAAAAAY faster on the MBP. WoW? think 50fps vs 7-15fps and that's with everything set to low on the PB and most things set pretty high on the MBP. I cannot even begin to imagine using either of these on a Pismo (and I did own a WallStreet).

You are correct, the MBP is exactly 1", it is not "less than 1 inch", even Apple's online store states it is 1". Of course the Pismo is 1.7 inches thick.

I've owned 4 Mac Laptops, 1 desktop and an incredible number of PCs. My MBP is the most incredible piece of electronics I have ever used.
Totally agree with you. It's far an away the best they've made.

SDW2001
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
12" aluminum powerbook

It's amazing how the phenomena of "the older I get, the better I USED to be" is playing out here. The Pismo was a find machine for the year 2000. But now we have a machine with 4+ times it's clockspeed, dual core, better durability, a sleek look, lower cost, etc. It's not even a comparison. Liking something doesn't make it a better buy.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
My LCD tilt is perfectly adequate. The screen is far and away better than a Pismo. Brighter, higher res, lighting that's just as even, better color saturation. Wireless reception is about the same or so it seems. Battery life is actually better on my MBP than either my PBG4 or Pismo. I also find the button much, much better than either of the two machines list above. On top of that, it's got a better keryboard, a superdrive, it's much faster, better looking (subjective, I realize), thinner, and cost a full $1000 less than my Pismo, purchased in February 2000.

Beat that with a stick.
nada
( Last edited by pete; Mar 5, 2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Because I didn't want to provoke those who think the MBP is a first-rate laptop....)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2007, 10:33 PM

12" aluminum powerbook

Oh really? I don't understand how a newer computer could have a better screen

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Oh really? I don't understand how a newer computer could have a better screen
...and i'm having second thoughts about speed & power. i hit my roommate with a pismo, then the 12" powerbook; the pismo proved more powerful.

then i dropped them both out the window (i'm on the 6th floor of a loft building) and the pismo hit the ground first, so...faster.

faster AND more powerful; who would have guessed?
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 02:49 PM

...and i'm having second thoughts about speed & power. i hit my roommate with a pismo, then the 12" powerbook; the pismo proved more powerful.

then i dropped them both out the window (i'm on the 6th floor of a loft building) and the pismo hit the ground first, so...faster.

faster AND more powerful; who would have guessed?
Pismo is Pismo does. Viva La Pismo.
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

VetPsychWars
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2007, 01:29 PM

Heh, goofy argument for sure. :-)

I am continuously surprised at how useable the Pismo is for every day email, web browsing, word processing, while also able to play music at the same time, or display video (as long as it has a lower data rate). I've upgraded mine to G4/550, 1 GB RAM, 80GB 7200rpm disk, CDRW as well, and it works very well for what it is. When you need a whole lot of computing on a budget, a Pismo is a pretty good choice.

All that said, I plan on getting a MacBook Pro when I can scrape the money together. Then I'll have the latest machine that can run the latest software, and I'll be set for a lot of years of continued usability (because, after all, I mostly do email, web, and word processing).

Besides, it was entertaining to upgrade this machine a bit at a time.

Tom

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2007, 05:34 PM

Hi,

I have the macbook pro, and wouldn't want to let go of my pismo. Its great to have such a machine that you can carry around everywhere with no worries. Sorry, but the same can't be said for the macbook pro.

I think the whole point is, the pismo is still a wonderful machine. Sure it may not be as powerful as the new line, but it runs (and runs pretty well) many of the latest applications. Plus it has the good looks and feels, that is still invaluable for its age today.

While I didn't spend full price for the pismo (I got mine for $300), and of course in terms of sheer power, the mbp would destroy the pismo, but the pismo has its place even today. So if you can get one cheap, I say go for it. And if you already have one, I say hold on to it. That way you'll have the best of both worlds!!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 10:04 PM

A cheap Pismo is a reliable backup in case of failure of your Macbook. For those of us
who can't bear to be without a computer while the Macbook is being repaired, it is a cheap insurance. Hook up to your Macbook by firewire and back up your files, you will always be
ready when disaster hits!

Also great when a guest wants to surf internet! Keeps them off your main machine!

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
A cheap Pismo is a reliable backup in case of failure of your Macbook. For those of us
who can't bear to be without a computer while the Macbook is being repaired, it is a cheap insurance. Hook up to your Macbook by firewire and back up your files, you will always be
ready when disaster hits!

Also great when a guest wants to surf internet! Keeps them off your main machine!
Completely agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

Forum Links
Forum Rules