Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Signs of needing a new battery?

Signs of needing a new battery?
cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2006, 09:26 PM

Hey everyone. I got an iBook G4 800 12" almost 3 years ago. For the past few months I have been taking it to school every day for notes but a few times like today and once last week, the battery would be working just fine at like 88% full and then I play a video or turn the brightness up and the computer goes to sleep. This happens very suddenly without warning and in less than 30 seconds from when the video or anything started. The sleep where it won't wake up from because there is a dead battery. The ibook won't wake unless I plug it in and it has to recharge all the way from 0%. is this the sign of needing a new battery?

Also, how do I check the condition of my battery? I know there was some terminal command for it but I can't find it. Does anyone know if applecare covers my original battery? (If I need to get a new battery, it would be great if my applecare – which is almost up – covers it).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Baron the Jester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2006, 01:15 PM

If you're still using the same battery that came with your iBook from 3 years ago, then I think it's safe to say that you need a new battery. I bought mine around the same time and I'm on my second battery, about ready to get my third. I don't know if AppleCare covers it or not. I'm going to guess not. Batteries have a limited lifespan and would never make it three years.

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2006, 05:23 PM

check out coconut battery:

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

it should give you some good info on your battery status.

tr

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2006, 07:50 PM

wow thanks a lot for that link. Even before I got coconut battery I ordered my new battery from apple. It should be here in a couple of days. I knew I needed a new one because I ran the terminal command to check the current battery capacity ... and it was wayyyy down there. This little app is great because it doest that for me and compares it to the original capacity. =)

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jan 5, 2006, 10:56 PM

What's the command? That would be neat to try.

As a side note, I use XBattery (http://www.kezer.net/xbattery.html), it logs capacity changes over time, current/voltage/percent charge with time in use...quite the handly little app. Last I checked, the app was still in "pre-release" but hasn't been updated in over two years.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 04:27 PM

i'm pretty sure you type in "ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo" in order to run the battery check in terminal.

cold aspiration  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2006, 04:28 PM

edit: double post

jackmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2006, 12:09 AM

Thanks for that link tr; useful little app.

Unfortunately it's also frustrating to find I have as much as 81% battery capacity available: +/- 3,200mAh down from 4,000mAh. I was ready to replace it because I can't get the thing to charge!!!

I've re-calibrated the battery, reset power manager, etc, etc, but to no avail. And now it has 0% current. When I reset the PM the port glows amber and the battery icon shows charging, but after about ten minutes it reverts to power adapter and that's that.

Has anyone experienced this? The problem seemed to start after upgrading to os x.4...
iBook SE 466 Firewire/DVD/Airpot card/576k/beat battery

Forum Links
Forum Rules