Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Acorn

Acorn
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2009, 03:36 PM

How many ACORN offices have been targeted in the quest to find honest people. Those who are helping the pimp an ho to evade the laws seem to be the norm. 0bama used to defend these people in court?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 04:53 PM

u mad dawg?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2009, 05:42 PM

The republicans need to counter ACORN with their own group called SQUIRREL.

Specially Qualified Unit to Investigate and Regulate Reprehensible Evil Liberals

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post

Specially Qualified Unit to Investigate and Regulate Reprehensible Evil Liberals
That would be awesome. So no.
Chuck
___

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 06:26 AM

There are plenty of organizations that hire screw-ups, so why is this one singled out?

Acron is only demonized by the right because they help poor people register to vote. If they hired high school drop outs and the homeless to sell cookies no one would care. But poor people tend to vote democrat, so they need to be shut down. My plan to trick fools into hating them is working perfectly!
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 06:33 AM

This agency gets millions of YOUR dollars to help run itself. That's why people hate it.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
Acron is only demonized by the right because they help poor people register to vote.
Really? You mean they exploit poor people to help them perpetrate voter fraud? You may want to read up on what these folks are doing to poor folks in the communities in which they operate. They're being investigated in 14 States at last count and that's before they've been exposed for helping people evade taxes, fund brothels, and traffic underage girls for prostitution; using your tax money.

The left hates the right that exposes this BS because some of their cronies got stung? Is this the logic I'm supposed to glean from your post?

If they hired high school drop outs and the homeless to sell cookies no one would care. But poor people tend to vote democrat, so they need to be shut down. My plan to trick fools into hating them is working perfectly!
This, ladies and gentlemen, is Exhibit A of partisan shilling.
ebuddy

OreoCookie
Sep 15, 2009, 07:33 AM

That one had me laughing out loud!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2009, 07:50 AM

Acorn is only demonized by the right because they help poor people register to vote.
Like Mickey Mouse, and Paul Neuman?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 11:59 AM

Don't forget the residence of Forest Lawn
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
How many ACORN offices have been targeted in the quest to find honest people. Those who are helping the pimp an ho to evade the laws seem to be the norm. 0bama used to defend these people in court?
In addition to being a lawyer, Obama also worked as a trainer.
45/47

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2009, 01:59 PM

Yes, because some branches of ACORN took part in some rather questionable practices, now anyone associated with the organization is a terrible person and the whole organization is nothing but a den of corruption.

It all makes sense now.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 02:07 PM

That was awesome.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Like Mickey Mouse, and Paul Neuman?
No, Mickey Mouse helps companies retain copyright longer than anyone really should.

finboy
Sep 15, 2009, 03:07 PM

There are plenty of organizations that hire screw-ups, so why is this one singled out?

Acron is only demonized by the right because they help poor people register to vote. If they hired high school drop outs and the homeless to sell cookies no one would care. But poor people tend to vote democrat, so they need to be shut down. My plan to trick fools into hating them is working perfectly!
There's no plan needed, no tricks. Anyone who's ever had to deal with "community organizers" or watched their extortion techniques first hand is ready to oppose them, it's that simple. Other honest, hardworking folks wonder what kind of a "job" it is helping people figure out ways to leech from the government. Folks are finally waking up to the fact that there are *thousands* of not-for-profits out there figuring out how to scam & shuffle taxpayers, and as taxpayers, many people are tired of it. I for one am glad that they've gotten to such a high profile. Now if we could just focus a little more on getting rid of lobbyists, maybe this country could move forward.

Hey, maybe we could get past the whole "special interest" thing and move ahead on the basis of equality instead of some people (groups) being a lot more equal than others.
( Last edited by finboy; Sep 15, 2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: clarification)

Gavin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2009, 12:58 AM

You know - that's the fist rational point of view I've ever heard on this subject.

However, if you take everything these guys have done wrong it still does not rate the amount of attention and hated they get. They are really only on the radar screen because of the election. They were trotted out as a political distraction and it amuses me how quickly the follower types fell in line to bash them. The election's over, the candidates and behind the scenes types no longer care about this, yet the minions can't stop griping. Like 20 minutes after my dog hears an ambulance he just keeps barking.
( Last edited by Gavin; Sep 16, 2009 at 01:05 AM. )
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 07:01 AM

You know - that's the fist rational point of view I've ever heard on this subject.

However, if you take everything these guys have done wrong it still does not rate the amount of attention and hated they get. They are really only on the radar screen because of the election. They were trotted out as a political distraction and it amuses me how quickly the follower types fell in line to bash them. The election's over, the candidates and behind the scenes types no longer care about this, yet the minions can't stop griping. Like 20 minutes after my dog hears an ambulance he just keeps barking.
It's because even after the election they are still involved in scams and frauds on the American taxpayer. At some point, you can't ignore an organization that seems to have it's employees constantly being caught with their hands in the political cookie jar and not question where that culture of corruption is coming from. Normally, this sort of thing is a problem with leadership, and I think it's pretty clear that the "community organizer" leaders are all about finding ways "to leech from the government' - honestly or not. This isn't something that my tax dollars should be funding.

Let them find some organization that is better organized and less corrupt to put together voting drives. Apparently, Democrats don't think it's possible, or don't want that to happen.

20 years ago a lot of this sort of thing would go unreported by the mainstream media. With the internet and alternative media, we get to hear about the Democrats giving out cigarettes to get people on a bus to vote, putting pro-democrat buttons on and gathering up all the mentally challenged folks to go vote, signing up Mickey Mouse to vote, and then a Democrat political organization helping to defraud the American people by giving advise on how to engage in illegal behavior without getting caught.

Yeah...who really cares.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2009, 09:00 AM

Seems their are corrupt sleaze buckets working at AL the ACORN centers.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 02:16 PM

How do we know that you're not a member of ACORN, BadKosh?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2009, 02:43 PM

I dunno. How do we know 0bama isn't a member? Or YOU? YOU DO seem to be the most likely candidate.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 03:04 PM

Wouldn't somebody that wasn't in ACORN want everybody else to believe that they aren't in ACORN, just as you are trying to do here?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2009, 03:27 PM

I'm the conservative and you are the liberal so YOU have a better chance of being the ACORN. I sure don't follow any of their BS. I don't think you 'll see me in court answering charges like the ACORN folks will.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 03:35 PM

I find it terribly convenient that you would pose as a conservative. How do we know that this isn't just a masquerade? I mean, if I didn't want people to know that I was a member of ACORN I might masquerade as a conservative too.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I find it terribly convenient that you would pose as a conservative. How do we know that this isn't just a masquerade? I mean, if I didn't want people to know that I was a member of ACORN I might masquerade as a conservative too.
Are we done with this foolishness? Let me rephrase, you are done with this foolishness. There's no question involved. If you have a point make it, but enough of the trolling.
Nemo me impune lacesset

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2009, 06:37 PM

I could make a point that making implicit suggestions to things ala Glenn Beck without going as far as to make these statements explicitly is really quite a manipulative political tactic, although one that is pretty transparent to many of us.

How is my line of questioning that much different than all of these sorts of possible conspiracy theories being aired now about whatever this ACORN thing is about, Muslims taking over, and whatever else the extreme fringe of your party is going on about? I really have a difficult time knowing which of you to associate with this extreme fringe and which to not, because pretty much all of you are just committed to using whatever means is necessary to "defeat" Obama as described here:

http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...bama-wants-do/

Unfortunately, all of this does is result in many of us deciding not to take anything you say seriously. It doesn't work.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2009, 09:10 PM

How long before what I see is an obvious pattern emerges with ACORN? One office? Bad apples. Two offices? Hmm. Three offices? Yikes. Four offices?...

But people (the evil right) don't like ACORN because they help poor people.

Hell, even NBC is reporting on it now.

dzp111
Senior User
Sep 16, 2009, 09:37 PM

Maybe you've missed it, but last night John Stewart showed clips of an Acorn meeting. A pimp and a prostitute wanting a tax exemption on their income (actors/hidden video). It was hilarious. The prostitute was deemed as a "artistic performer".

Sign here.

Lol!
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2009, 09:40 PM

How is my line of questioning that much different than all of these sorts of possible conspiracy theories being aired now about whatever this ACORN thing is about, Muslims taking over, and whatever else the extreme fringe of your party is going on about?
You are just trolling and making things up. The stuff Beck has reported is real and has caused ACORN to lose congressional funding and they now have even more criminal investigations against them than they had before.

That's how much different what you've provided and what Beck has provided is. VAST.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 05:40 AM

Acorn?

I prefer walnuts to go with my hos.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 05:41 AM

ACORN is like church.

They are not there to judge. They are there to help.

ACORN - protects Pimps
Church - protects pedophiles

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
ACORN is like church.

They are not there to judge. They are there to help.

ACORN - protects Pimps
Church - protects pedophiles
Fine. Then you agree neither should be receiving tax dollars.

Agreed.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post

Agreed.
Well, there you go:

House votes to deny all federal funds for ACORN - Yahoo! News

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2009, 05:53 PM

...all of these sorts of possible conspiracy theories being aired now about whatever this ACORN thing is about.
Waaaaait....are you not even paying attention to what's going on with ACORN?

This isn't a load of crap being shoved by the right to make a leftist organization look bad. This is flat-out corruption being funded by your taxpayer money. It's not a conspiracy theory. It's not a load of BS. They were telling people how to traffic human sex slaves, run a prostitution ring, and hide large quantities of money from the government.

If this is what you want your tax dollars funding, I sure as fsck don't ever want you voting again.

Addendum: Don't be like the crazy right-wingers you spit on, besson. Freaking educate yourself about the issues in your own damn party. If you've been willfully ignoring the allegations against ACORN, you're a fool.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2009, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
That's all we ask.

Well..and prosecutions as well, I'd hope.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2009, 10:16 AM

That's all we ask.

Well..and prosecutions as well, I'd hope.
Oh it's not over my friend. There are 20 states now conducting investigations into their local ACORN chapters and congressmen now calling for Federal investigations. This could get real ugly.
ebuddy

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2009, 11:54 AM

If you include removing tax exemption from Churches, I'd actually have something to agree with you on.

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
If you include removing tax exemption from Churches, I'd actually have something to agree with you on.
If ACORN refrains from direct political action (which I doubt they could), I have no problem with them being tax exempt if they truely are "non-profit" (or a church). I just don't want my dollars going directly to their fraudulent organization.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2009, 10:41 PM

I don't like acorn.

they should be shut down. period.

surprised? that's the difference, i don't follow the party line...

however, churches not paying taxes? EVERYONE should pay taxes...free market and such

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
I don't like acorn.

however, churches not paying taxes? EVERYONE should pay taxes...free market and such
Call for a Constitutional Amendment and see where that gets you.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
I don't like acorn.

So... no separation of church and State? Hmm. Interesting proposal.
ebuddy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2009, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So... no separation of church and State? Hmm. Interesting proposal.
I don't see how allowing all purely religious institutions to be recognized as nonprofit organizations makes them part of the government.
Chuck
___

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2009, 04:58 PM

Wouldn't paying taxes allow churches to receive welfare and other benefits from the government?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 10:21 PM

Call for a Constitutional Amendment and see where that gets you.
true but it also lets leftists say marijuana is a religion, start a church and not pay any taxes... right?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I don't see how allowing all purely religious institutions to be recognized as nonprofit organizations makes them part of the government.
i agree with my new bff... please explain

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2009, 09:21 AM

Churches are tax-exempt because of their non-profit status. While I will agree that there are many large churches who are obviously rolling in money (*cough*Scientology*cough*), there are lots of small churches that would be in a world of hurt if they had to pay the same taxes that a private business has to pay.

A church isn't supposed to be a business.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Per IRS provision 501(c), tax-exempt status is generally granted to any group “operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, educational purposes, to foster national or international amateur sports competition, or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals.”

The proposal was to tax them, (the proposal I responded to) not to make them a non-profit covered under the tax exempt entities listed above. Taxing them will only produce the mega-churches many of us are critical of and if you think they meddle in the affairs of government now, you ain't seen nuthin' yet... by revoking their tax exemption that is.
ebuddy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2009, 02:38 PM

Oh, please. Like the Mormons would be any more corporate and meddlesome if we taxed them? We already have mega-churches and we already have people getting quite rich off religious institutions. I don't see how taxing them would make that any more likely.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Sep 20, 2009 at 02:48 PM. )
Chuck
___

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Churches are tax-exempt because of their non-profit status. While I will agree that there are many large churches who are obviously rolling in money (*cough*Scientology*cough*), there are lots of small churches that would be in a world of hurt if they had to pay the same taxes that a private business has to pay.

A church isn't supposed to be a business.
free market

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2009, 06:05 PM

ACORN gets about $5 million from the Federal Government a year.

Faith base organizations are getting Billions of dollars.

Time to end federal funds for faith base organizations as well.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2009, 06:12 PM

The Washington Independent � Church Groups Lose Faith in Bush Promises for Funding

The Office of Faith-Based Initiatives can claim some accomplishments. Faith-based groups now get an estimated 11 percent of federal grant money issued for social services. That figure is difficult to put in context, however, because the government only began collecting data on grants to faith-based groups in 2003, when it looked at contracts in just five federal agencies. By 2006, when it looked at 11 agencies, about $2.2 billion went to the groups.
Pres. Obama has a Faith-Based Czar Joshua DuBois, who heads the White House's Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

To keep conservatives happy, it's time to get rid of the Faith-Based Czar and White House's Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships. Czars are evil!

End the wasteful billions of dollars that goes to faith base organizations.

Forum Links
Forum Rules