Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 18)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2009, 01:18 PM

I've found the perfect HC TDM class.

Bling Pro / Cold Blooded / Ninja Pro
FAMAS w/ACOG and Grenade Launcher
Raffica w/silencer and red dot sight

Really the FAMAS serves as a sniper rifle, while the Raffica is out at all times if I'm moving around.

Other stuff...

I got my first kill hitting an enemy in the head with a flashbang on Sub Base.

In fact, I was using tons of flashbangs yesterday and really, really owning with them. Playing Ground War I was getting 6+ assists every match by liberally using flashbangs.

I can see how some folks can get over 40 kills in Ground War. Domination on Favela yesterday was ass-rape central thanks to one guy who was going for kills only. He called in an AC-130 twice in that match.

Having your friend play on your account can be brutal. Over this weekend my buddy took my K/D from 1.22 to 1.17. I was able to truss it up to 1.18 after yesterday, but I really would rather use a 48hr trial next time. One game on Highrise he went 0-14. I kept telling him to stop being so bold, I can deal with no kills, but stay the hell back if you can't get a kill.

I'm over the 300 kill mark with three weapons. FAMAS/SCAR/HBAR. Looking forward to 500 kills with each and the 60,000 XP that'll come with them thanks to the Veteran challenges. Since unlocking the Raffica the last time I played, I've already got over 100 kills with it. God I love that weapon.

I don't expect to be playing very much this weekend, lots of busy times ahead. I'd imagine tonight and tomorrow night will be my two windows of opportunity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 17, 2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I've found the perfect HC TDM class.

Bling Pro / Cold Blooded / Ninja Pro
FAMAS w/ACOG and Grenade Launcher
Raffica w/silencer and red dot sight
Pretty close to my Ninja class. Sub a silencer for the ACOG and they're the same.

I got my first kill hitting an enemy in the head with a flashbang on Sub Base.
Alright stop right here. Does the flashbang do more damage if it hits someone in the head? Does HC make a difference? I saw a vid where some completely live dude got flashbanged twice in rapid succession and the second one killed him (direct impact) and I don't understand how a flash could down someone.

I'm over the 300 kill mark with three weapons. FAMAS/SCAR/HBAR. Looking forward to 500 kills with each and the 60,000 XP that'll come with them thanks to the Veteran challenges. Since unlocking the Raffica the last time I played, I've already got over 100 kills with it. God I love that weapon.
Since I created my stealth RPD class I've been using on a few more maps my disparity in weapon kills has really changed. Now, I have roughly 1400 FAMAS kills, 1250 RPD... and like 125 SCAR and UMP kills (Thumper has quite a few though, probably more than the SCAR). Dunno what the M4 has. Still, it's a hilarious disparity.

The Stinger challenges are retarded. You only get credit for shooting down helicopters... and the most common killstreak is the damn Harrier. Could be worse, I guess, Javelin is all about kills.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2009, 01:42 PM

I'm unsure of the circumstances, but it was HC TDM.

I get what you're saying, the dude throws the damn thing underhand, i don't see how it could kill either. However I'm sure, since it was HC, that the guy wasn't getting hit by any fire prior to my throw. I have no idea whether I hit him in the head or not, all I know was I'm in the middle of an intense firefight and I go to blind my enemies only to get an impact kill.

Another sweet moment was my game winning kill on Scrapyard. I spawned and got hit, slid to the right an gunned a grenade as far as I could in the direction where I was getting shot from....if only we could save killcams...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 06:39 AM

I'd like to know how the flashbang kills as well. In Sub-base I lobbed two into that comms room and got two kills on HC TDM.

I find everything slow when not using the crazy commando class. I feel like I'm trying to swim though honey when using the Hbar or Rpd. BUT when playing Domination on Terminal the Hbar is my choice - unless someone else takes my place at Burger Town and then the crazy commando class (CCC) comes out. This is the only class that I use sub-machine guns with, otherwise as you guys have already said, they're worthless.

I tried the CCC in HC TDM. Not good. In fact very poor choice.

Didn't see the unlimited ammo glitch last night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2009, 01:46 PM

I think I may have added another disciple to my silenced RPD on Wasteland club last night.

Also, we've officially passed the Gears of War 2 thread (in pages). Gonna be a bit til we catch up to GTA IV, though.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 01:55 PM

We will pass the GTA IV thread easy. However, I don't think it will catch up to the Halo 3 thread. Not without a theater mode.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2009, 02:00 PM

Agreed.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 04:15 PM

anyone (dakar?) down for some special ops tonight? i'm really trying to finish off those achievements.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
We will pass the GTA IV thread easy. However, I don't think it will catch up to the Halo 3 thread. Not without a theater mode.
true but with a true decent leaderboard system (bungie.net) it will be a close second.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 18, 2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
anyone (dakar?) down for some special ops tonight? i'm really trying to finish off those achievements.
You got it.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2009, 12:48 AM

I found my solution to Kirachi, knowing the map better and an HBAR (you can never have enough bullets). I think I'm starting to love Kirachi. A well-placed sentry or harrier helps too.

Had a great game on rundown - a map which can go either way for me. 12-1. Stole an enemy's precision air strike, after killing the two enemies around it.

If you stay at rank 70 for awhile - do you still gain XP and score? I may want to stay at rank for a little while before prestiging. Finish up a few challenges.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
You still working on those? I thought you'd be done a long time ago. Lemmie know if you need help.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2009, 03:56 PM

Geez, I started at a k/d ratio of 0.53 I think, and now I'm way up at 0.88. I might make it 1.00, if I get lucky.

Oh, and Bogues, you gotta slow down so I can catch you up on kills and score.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2009, 08:15 PM

I'm still waiting for Dakar to break 2.00

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2009, 06:32 AM

Yes, I do confirm the pure joy that can be had at Burger Town with an RPD. Especially a silenced, with grip RPD. The only problem with this position is the hit and miss luck that one can have with air drops. Still, I do love playing Terminal.

I've been extremely successful with the Raffica. With only a silencer I can get a good 8 or even 10 kills a game alongside my other weapon. You can even move quite quickly while aiming.

I don't understand the love of ACOG in MW2, I cannot stand it. Its a cross between the worst laser/holo and the worst scope. Using it on a sniper is just too painful.

Last night I saw that Dakar was at 70 again, will he prestige straight away ?

EDIT : Finally got more match wins than losses last night.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2009, 12:45 PM

I'm still waiting for Dakar to break 2.00
Don't think I'm not trying my damnedest. I was doing fine hovering at 1.99 - 1.98, when i decided to put scrambler on all but my main class. My k/d plummeted to 1.93 in two days and I removed it and said **** that challenge. I've spent the past two weeks trying to grind it back up, mostly slumming it in Merc TDM. Finally broke 1.97 this weekend.

• One of the challenges I was working on was the Car Bomb challenge (kill enemies via car). This can actually become a trick shot once you figure the game out. So on Invasion I was aiming on the opposite side of cars with my thumper so they'd blow the car which in turn would blow the person on the other side. So I got a pred missile last night, one Car Bomb left, and I see a dude crouching behind a car as I'm descending, so I guide the missile to the opposite side; It collides, guy survives behind the car, car blows, kill. Awesome way to finish the challenge.

• I've grown enough balls to use my runner class on Favela (instead of my "Jesus god I don't want to be seen on radar" Ninja class). Results have been mostly positive.

• Speaking of Favela, I ran into the camper to end all campers last night. Guy, cold-blooded, ninja, HBS, hiding in that not-quite-a-bunker on Favela. First time he killed me he was staring at a wall, and I have no idea how he noticed me. Second time, I grenade launched the room twice, stunned twice, no hit markers. Walk in, instant knife. I ignored that area for the rest of the game.

• Got my first undetonated noob tube headshot.

• Unsuspecting opponent Semtex sticks are almost as rewarding as completing the "Misery loves Company" challenge.

• If you guys heard about the Infected and STD titles, they were the talk of the IW forums last week. That either spurred IW to disseminate them, or people to boost them, because I got both this weekend.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2009, 04:57 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2009, 05:08 PM

Nice.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 07:22 PM

Nice find! I'll play...

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2009, 07:26 PM

I've been rocking this too just becuase the challenge for the title was awesome

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2009, 10:05 PM

I can't remember what I did to get the necklace of ears though.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2009, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
• Speaking of Favela, I ran into the camper to end all campers last night. Guy, cold-blooded, ninja, HBS, hiding in that not-quite-a-bunker on Favela. First time he killed me he was staring at a wall, and I have no idea how he noticed me. Second time, I grenade launched the room twice, stunned twice, no hit markers. Walk in, instant knife. I ignored that area for the rest of the game.
That almost sounds like me, except I camp out behind the tree across from the corner where the white truck sits on the corner. But I don't have cold-blooded on, on that map. I have hard-liner and an HBAR with grip and FMJ. That or I camp in a building or two.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
• If you guys heard about the Infected and STD titles, they were the talk of the IW forums last week. That either spurred IW to disseminate them, or people to boost them, because I got both this weekend.
I got the STD title. Not sure What you get it for. Oh, ok now I see... http://emotionalninja.net/2009/11/15...s-and-emblems/ ... it's one of those viral challenges.

I like the HARDER THEY FALL, ALL PRO or the HIGHLANDER titles. It would be nice to have videos of how I got those. Especially the 2 headshots with one bullet. HIGHLANDER, well I remember I just crept around and couldn't find anyone to kill. It wasn't that great a game.

I change my title and emblem alot, but I was sporting this recently.

( Last edited by Leonard; Dec 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM. )
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2009, 11:43 AM

The 1887 patch just dropped on live this morning (just in time for xmas... 'doh!). I may have noticed the difference when being attacked, but more importantly, I had a match on Estate and I noticed now you can actually wound people with it (before it could only kill people). I think it's still rather effective... just don't try to do a cross-room shoot-out with it anymore.

(From what I've read, they've decreased the effective range of akimbo. This means a lone 1887 will actually shoot further than a double. Very weird, but I guess the only alternative to nerfing damage/removing akimbo)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2009, 12:24 PM

Hahaha, so apparently IW put the range nerf on 1887s equipped with akimbo... which means that if you have Bling Pro and equip Akimbo and FMJ, you get the old range.

I love it - it took people 4 hours to figure this out.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2009, 01:02 PM

Hahah, hilarious.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2009, 02:19 PM

Logged on a few minutes ago to grab the update and decided to try and finish off level 59 and get to 60 although i'm unsure if its my best k/d game its by far my best game. Started out a game of domination with 20 frag kills for payback challenge (need 25) and 21 headshot challenge payback (need 25)

Went 40-5 with 6 assists, got my 5 frag and 4 head shot payback kills, plus some other small challenges (50th harrier was one). Three pred missles/Two harriers/one pavelow. Finished adding above 33k in exp.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2009, 02:27 PM

Jesus H. Christ.

On a similar note, if I don't finish my Semtex challenge tonite, I'm going to freak. Three more sticks, and I think I'm going to Prestige.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2009, 05:11 PM

Are you guys going to be on tonight? I'm going to be on all night since I don't have work tomorrow.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 23, 2009, 05:11 PM

I'm doubtful, mostly because I've been keeping bizarre hours lately.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2009, 11:27 PM

Yeah, I'll be on all ni-OHHHHHHHHHHHHH, wait...

...on PS3. We'll see next week.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2009, 11:39 PM

Any news of new maps? It would be nice to see some new maps available on DLC within the next month.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2009, 06:10 AM

I played a bit yesterday afternoon (European time) just after getting the patch. From my humble experience in Std TDM you now take two or more hits where before you'd die with one from the akimbo 1887s. I didn't notice if people changed to using only one 1887 instead, but its certainly less popular.

I haven't read about the patch, did they fix something in matchmaking? Seemed nice and quick last night.

Oh and Merry Christmas, nice to see MW2 as popular as ever - maybe its the weather?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 24, 2009, 02:46 PM

I think I'll knock off a couple more titles before I prestige, so it may be a day or two before I prestige. I want my ACR and HBAR mastery. Not sure if I'll wait for the F2000 mastery. That weapon eats up bullets... lucky I have scavenger on that class.
MacBook Pro

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2009, 11:49 PM

Jumped on for a few quick games after work...
First game I joined was nearly over by the time I got in, I went 2-2, this was my worst match of the day.
I then proceeded to go 19-0, 25-2, 23-3, 20-1, 22-2, 24-1, 26-4. My xbox froze up as the next game was loading, and I decided to end on the good stint.

I'll be away from my xbox for the entire weekend (off island!), have a great holidays everyone.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2009, 10:17 PM

Well, I decided to prestige earlier than I thought. Now I miss my weapons. I don't really miss the claymore as much as I thought. I had a really bad match just after Dakar joined, 6-12, terrible. Need a weapon with an FMJ. Ho well, I FAMAS for now and I'll have the SCAR soon, I never used it much the first time through. I might use SMGs a bit.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2009, 10:10 AM

I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2009, 09:42 PM

Got the SCAR and FAMAS, now all I need is BLING. Until I get bling I'll try some of the perks like Lightfoot, Marathon and Scavenger, that I didn't use much the first time around. I've also been trying the riot shield, but it's not as invincible as it seems when you're up against it. Then again, half the time I was up against a riot shield, he died. Can't use the riot shield in all 4 directions.
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2009, 01:32 AM

Posted this in the other thread, but since it's related I'll post here too.

Modern Warfare 2 for PS3 for $39.99 at Best Buy

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2009, 05:31 AM

Ouch, three days away and I suffered. Managed to level up but that was only thanks to some challenges being completed. The long lonely road that is level 65 to Prestige is ahead of me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 11:30 AM

So, where to begin? The holiday influx of noobage was everything I could have hoped for. Our Mr McBlobicus doesn't know since he hasn't been on, but my k/d finally surpassed 2.0

Some of the highlights on the weekend include three separate 23-0 games (yes the same number every time), the most famous of which was on Rust of all maps.

The other two Crosbie witnessed on a night where we pretty much rolled everyone (got stogie a new record of 14 straight wins). I have to say, he brings out some of the worst camping in me, though. We had a game on Scrapyard where we camped the warehouse the entire game (after spawning on the opposite side of the map) and never let go (We had quite a bit of help from team mates). Some guy with scrambler (bless his heart) must have been a third of the deaths - he just kept coming and we kept knowing. I died once, thanks to running out of ammo and having to find a weapon to pick-up. At the end some dude on the other team threw a grenade and it was the first explosive I could recall seeing all game. They really should have been bombing (and stunning) the hell out of us.

Our domination was so rampant that I swear we combined for at least half of our team's game-winning killcams. I had two double-kill-cams, including a semi-blind bullet-penetration final kill.

---

Question: When you snipe, which one do you prefer? After I Prestiged I accidentally equipped the intervention instead of the Barret on my SNiper class, and I have to say, I kind of like it. Yes, it's much slower, but I find that the forced pace allows it to recenter better, where as with the Barret, once you get antsy, its recoil galore. Also, with only 5 bullets in a clip, I'm hoping to get the Perfectionist achievement soon.

• I have to say, I'm really enjoying the Prestiging process. Each time through, I'm refining or redesigning my classes.
Example 1: My Tier 1 Perk on my Sniper? Marathon. Seriously. I only use it on Derail and Estate, two maps where you'll often have to cover tons of map, and the ability to sprint forever is huge.
Example 2: My Terminal RPD class now runs with the Blast Shield. This works partly because I rely on the heartbeat sensor so much (no mini-map), and because stuns and the like get tossed around with decent regularity on there. The only bad thing is more and more people seem to be running Ninja lately (even with the xmas noobs)

• Nabbed the "All Pro" title yesterday (two headshots with one bullet). With the M4, no less. I have to say, I headshot with that thing way more regularly than the FAMAS. From a good distance, too.

• I am now pretty okay on Favela, and slowly sliding towards ineffectuality on High Rise. What maps do you guys feel like you're losing a grip on?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 11:58 AM

Because you don't have a 360 yet, right? RIGHT?!

(See you December 26th)
There it is. I knew I called this.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2009, 12:06 PM

There it is. I knew I called this.

I'm dealing with a huge adjustment in MW2. I've played so much Uncharted 2 multiplayer lately that it has created some really bad habits that don't translate well in the MW2 universe. I did a lot better last night, but I'm still having some issues. One of these days I'll work up the guts to try to join up with you guys.

That being said, I've only been on twice so far.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 12:09 PM

I think both times I've come on and you were playing you either changed games or logged off shortly thereafter.

Anyway, since Jawbone finally got an xbox I hereby declare all future MacNN meet-ups cancelled forever to infinity plus one.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2009, 12:34 PM

Anyway, since Jawbone finally got an xbox I hereby declare all future MacNN meet-ups cancelled forever to infinity plus one.
Don't make me trade in this thing for a Wii.
Don't laugh. You guys know I'll do it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 12:38 PM

That's what your wife is for.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2009, 01:08 PM

I'm so glad she doesn't get on 'NN.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 28, 2009, 01:13 PM

My PM box probably does too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2009, 01:35 PM

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2009, 10:41 PM

The other two Crosbie witnessed on a night where we pretty much rolled everyone (got stogie a new record of 14 straight wins). I have to say, he brings out some of the worst camping in me, though. We had a game on Scrapyard where we camped the warehouse the entire game (after spawning on the opposite side of the map) and never let go (We had quite a bit of help from team mates). Some guy with scrambler (bless his heart) must have been a third of the deaths - he just kept coming and we kept knowing. I died once, thanks to running out of ammo and having to find a weapon to pick-up. At the end some dude on the other team threw a grenade and it was the first explosive I could recall seeing all game. They really should have been bombing (and stunning) the hell out of us.

Our domination was so rampant that I swear we combined for at least half of our team's game-winning killcams. I had two double-kill-cams, including a semi-blind bullet-penetration final kill.
Yeah, you were pretty much unstoppable last night. It's funny you bring up our camping in the Scrapyard match. That scrambler dude didn't know when to quit. You would think he got the hint when he saw my HBS in the kill cam. I went 15-0 in that match thanks to that dude trying to get revenge on us.

It's a shame there's no theater mode in MW2. A couple of your game winning kill cams were keepers. There was also a Benny Hill moment on Derail I wish I could share you guys. Me and this other guy were running around in circles trying to knife each other. Apparently both of us were out of ammo.

I also noticed during our run last night that only one enemy Harrier/Helicopter lasted more than 5 seconds. It was like some unmentioned race between us to see who can shoot them down first.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2009, 12:16 AM

Some guy with scrambler (bless his heart) must have been a third of the deaths - he just kept coming and we kept knowing. I died once, thanks to running out of ammo and having to find a weapon to pick-up. At the end some dude on the other team threw a grenade and it was the first explosive I could recall seeing all game. They really should have been bombing (and stunning) the hell out of us.
I call this "The Lemming Effect". For some strange reason, people just go storming into the same door or building one after another, even when they've died there. I'll kill 5 people coming out of a building and none of them will figure they can go around behind me and kill me (well if you watch out for the claymore behind me). Or after I kill 5 people coming out of a building a few stupid team members will go running past me into the building and be killed. Stop idiots, I'm campin' here for a reason. The Lemming Effect is one way to get kills. Or like you said, the same guy tries to kill you time and time again, and probably gets so frustrated he taps out of the kill-cam right away instead of looking at the kill-cam to see where you are and think about how stupid he is going at you the same way.

As for the new people joining MW2, yeah they've contributed to some great games. I think I had a 26-2 the other day and my team still lost, needless to say I was in the number one place.
( Last edited by Leonard; Dec 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM. )
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules