Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 733 QS PRAM/Performance

733 QS PRAM/Performance
glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2007, 05:28 AM

I have a 733 QS I purchased in 8/01. 1.5g RAM. Toshiba 80g HD, Combo Drive. Over the past week I noticed a slowing down in all operations. Applications, streaming (Have Broad Band), even opening the smallest file. I ran Disk Warrior, and Tech Tools. No problems show up. I've repaired permissions, and run all UNIX maintenance.

When I restart, no change. When I shut down, and restart, no change. When I shut down, reset the PRAM and restart everything becomes 100% again. Then over 1-2 days things gradually slow down, and I repeat the PRAM reset.

Any suggestions? I reset the RAM already. I'm stumped.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2007, 05:54 AM

How much empty disk space do you have? OS X gets kind of finicky when you have only a few GB (less than 5) left. Another idea might be that your harddrive has some defective sectors which only get accessed after a few days of usage.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

glideslope  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2007, 03:39 PM

Yes, that is it. Thanks. I only have 2g's free. I completely forgot about the 5g VM need.
Sun Tzu

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2007, 04:31 PM

Perhaps it's worthwhile to think of getting another drive: it's cheap and easy.
Your machines cannot handle more than 127 GB, so you have essentially two ways to go about it:
(i) Buy an external FireWire enclosure and put a new drive into it. This is probably the easiest way.
(ii) Buy an SATA controller and a new harddrive: this is a bit pricier.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

glideslope  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll just delete some code. This machine is really only used by the DW for web surfing and email, and some small .jpg files to family and friends. When it dies it will be covered and placed in the basement Hall of Fame. Which holds a IIe complete with ProDos, and 80 column text, a performa 630 CD, Performa 6400, Lime G3 IMac, Grey iMac DV SE flying at 400mhz ( I could hardly wait for the speed demon to arrive). One version 1.0 700mhz iMac Tilt Screen, and a 1ghz eMac with a blown CRT.

I use a 2.66 Mac Pro with 4gigs of RAM and Dual 500g Barracudas. One for OSX and one with XP on Bootcamp 3.0. I love it. Not a single issue. Actually sold my G5 Dual 1.8 for it. Wanted to place it in the Hall of Fame, but reality set in.

The teenagers share a 2.16 Core2 17" iMac upstairs. Everything is connected to our LAN with CAT5 run through the house. I'm not into wireless. I'm paranoid enough with my cell use. Too many waves running through my body already. At least at home it's reduced.

I'm a total evangelist. Anyway, thanks again. Sure beats reading my posts in the A380 thread.
Sun Tzu

Forum Links
Forum Rules