Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > How to Sell Project to Another Developer?

How to Sell Project to Another Developer?
Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2009, 01:11 AM

I'm trying to offload a shareware application that I no longer have time to develop. When I informed the registered users that I was going to discontinue development, I got hundreds of great emails telling me how much they love the program, and that they hope that somebody else can take over development of it.

So where do I look for a developer who can take over this project from me? Its a small shareware application, and many of the users say they'd be willing to pay for it if sold commercially. So I'd like to sell it, but I don't know how to go about doing so.

steevg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2009, 05:45 PM

Brass,

I'm having great problems locating an OSX developer to help me with a small project also, so if you find someone to help with your project, Id be grateful for a link to them.

Good luck!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 07:48 PM

Why don't you pitch it to some of the Mac software companies ?

If the idea is good, and you have a loyal user group, they might be even willing to pay something for it.

-t

steevg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2009, 07:56 PM

Can you define "Mac Software Companies"?? . . . . and who these are?

Thanx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by steevg View Post
Can you define "Mac Software Companies"?? . . . . and who these are?

Thanx
Geez, just take those companies that make good Mac software. OmniGroup and the such.

Google, FTW.

-t

DmbShn41
Jul 18, 2009, 08:02 PM

Definition of Mac software companies : noun; a company that designs software for the Mac platform.
Intel iMac - 17" 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM 150GB HDD
MB 13" - Early 2010 Model iPod Touch - 16GB
iPad - 16GB WiFi iPhone 3GS - 16GB

steevg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2009, 08:12 PM

OK I get the point ("Go do some searching" - done that)!

. . . . these companies may be interested in taking on Brass's shareware, but not a little project like mine - far too insignificant for a Software Development company. Just need an individual with some programming knowledge!

Thanx anyway!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2009, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by steevg View Post
OK I get the point ("Go do some searching" - done that)!

. . . . these companies may be interested in taking on Brass's shareware, but not a little project like mine - far too insignificant for a Software Development company. Just need an individual with some programming knowledge!
What you need is some programmers on a contract basis.

Tim Ferris in his book 4 Hour Work Week has some valuable tips and links to websites that could help you. I highly recommend the book to induce into you some out-of-the-box thinking.
I'd post some links, but I can't find the book right now because I just have moved, and my books (more than a thousand) are still a bit unorganized.

-t

steevg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2009, 08:32 PM

-t

Excellent, that's the kind of info I've been looking for.

Thanx

Brass  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2009, 08:01 PM

Well, the project I'm trying to offload is a finished working product, with many existing happy users. The users are all unhappy that I've discontinued it (I've got about 80 emails saying how sorry they are that it's being discontinued). It's a simple envelope addressing application which uses Apple's Address Book.

Anyone want to take it over? It's been sort of shareware/donationware/freeware, but many users say they'd be happy to pay for it. I just don't have time for it anymore, with other projects (and family commitments) not allowing time for it anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules