Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > X11 Bundled With Panther

X11 Bundled With Panther
Brass
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 06:03 PM

Well, now that everyone knows that X11.app is definitely bundled with the Panther installer, and is an optional part of the installation (using the Customize button)...

Does anybody remember a thread here, about the time XDarwin was first released, that included a lot of debate about whether or not Apple should include X11 with a future Mac OS X release?

There were some very strong opinions both for and against including X11. The concept of including it as an option was even argued against by some people. I'm just wondering if anybody still thinks it's a bad thing to include X11 with the OS install?

Personally, I've always argued for it and am very pleased to see it bundled with the OS. It brings it up to par with other Unix operating systems in some ways.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 21, 2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Brass:

Personally, I've always argued for it and am very pleased to see it bundled with the OS. It brings it up to par with other Unix operating systems in some ways.
I think it is awesome that it is pre-installed. I wish that it was even more tightly integrated - like the X11.app didn't even exist and the X11 server was always running. This could probably be accomplished I'm sure, I just wish it was even more seamless.

Although I haven't seen the Panther X11 yet, I really wish the Apple's X11 had WAY MORE standard libraries built in. gd, freetype, libjpeg, libpng, etc, etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules